Accurate or wishful thinking?

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The sign seems contrary to my understanding of withdrawal.
I thought withdrawal only meant you cant claim. I think they just want to scare away the faint of heart
Gold sign.jpg

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They properly refer to 16 USC 1133 but seem to be ignoring Section (d)(2) which clearly states they are blowing smoke up your sluice.

Here's (d)(2)
(2) Mineral activities, surveys for mineral value
Nothing in this chapter shall prevent within national forest wilderness areas any activity, including prospecting, for the purpose of gathering information about mineral or other resources, if such activity is carried on in a manner compatible with the preservation of the wilderness environment. Furthermore, in accordance with such program as the Secretary of the Interior shall develop and conduct in consultation with the Secretary of Agriculture, such areas shall be surveyed on a planned, recurring basis consistent with the concept of wilderness preservation by the United States Geological Survey and the United States Bureau of Mines to determine the mineral values, if any, that may be present; and the results of such surveys shall be made available to the public and submitted to the President and Congress.

Prospecting is specifically allowed in wilderness areas. :thumbsup:

Did they really think no one would actually look up the law they are trying to BS with? Then they try to define prospecting when there is no such definition in the law.

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bonaro did you take that pic? Recently?

I remember this coming up several years ago. The sign was not put up by the authorities and came down fairly quickly. Notice the lack of NFS or other official logos. All agreed it was just wrong.

I'm pretty sure this is that old sign I remember because of the misspelling: withdrawl should be withdrawal! LoL!

Last edited:

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unless you're from the South I'd ignore the sign. It's targeting people with "drawl". :laughing7:

It reminds me of a sign I saw in New York in the late '80's pointing me to the Statue of Liberity.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
The "LAW" clearly does not apply to the ruling elite, nor the truth:-)

They properly refer to 16 USC 1133 but seem to be ignoring Section (d)(2) which clearly states they are blowing smoke up your sluice.

Here's (d)(2)

Prospecting is specifically allowed in wilderness areas. :thumbsup:

Did they really think no one would actually look up the law they are trying to BS with? Then they try to define prospecting when there is no such definition in the law.

Heavy Pans

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tempting to make your own sign that states mining is not withdrawn in this area and posting inaccurate signage that says otherwise will be met with scorn.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that pic is of the sign posted down in the San Gabriel mountains. There are many more kinds of closures on top of eminent domain now. They use the old EMERGENCY line a bs to promulgate for power,biological or any silly crappola they desire...sic sic sic world...F'M' and go mining.John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions