Accurate or wishful thinking?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Clay Diggins
  • 3 Post By KevinInColorado
  • 1 Post By Oakview2

Thread: Accurate or wishful thinking?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Aug 2004
    Olympia WA
    Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
    1945 times
    Prospecting

The sign seems contrary to my understanding of withdrawal.
    I thought withdrawal only meant you cant claim. I think they just want to scare away the faint of heart
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gold sign.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	199.0 KB 
ID:	1127439

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    11272 times
    Prospecting
    They properly refer to 16 USC 1133 but seem to be ignoring Section (d)(2) which clearly states they are blowing smoke up your sluice.

Here's (d)(2)
    (2) Mineral activities, surveys for mineral value
    Nothing in this chapter shall prevent within national forest wilderness areas any activity, including prospecting, for the purpose of gathering information about mineral or other resources, if such activity is carried on in a manner compatible with the preservation of the wilderness environment. Furthermore, in accordance with such program as the Secretary of the Interior shall develop and conduct in consultation with the Secretary of Agriculture, such areas shall be surveyed on a planned, recurring basis consistent with the concept of wilderness preservation by the United States Geological Survey and the United States Bureau of Mines to determine the mineral values, if any, that may be present; and the results of such surveys shall be made available to the public and submitted to the President and Congress.
    Prospecting is specifically allowed in wilderness areas.

Did they really think no one would actually look up the law they are trying to BS with? Then they try to define prospecting when there is no such definition in the law.

Heavy Pans
    Last edited by Clay Diggins; Mar 05, 2015 at 01:28 AM.
    Oakview2 and russau like this.

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    11017 times
    Prospecting

Bonaro did you take that pic? Recently?

I remember this coming up several years ago. The sign was not put up by the authorities and came down fairly quickly. Notice the lack of NFS or other official logos. All agreed it was just wrong.

I'm pretty sure this is that old sign I remember because of the misspelling: withdrawl should be withdrawal! LoL!
    Last edited by KevinInColorado; Mar 05, 2015 at 02:46 AM.

us
    Jan 2013
    Maryland
    Bounty Hunter
    1787 times
    Metal Detecting
    Unless you're from the South I'd ignore the sign. It's targeting people with "drawl".

It reminds me of a sign I saw in New York in the late '80's pointing me to the Statue of Liberity.

us
    Feb 2012
    Prather CA
    Whites GMT
    3351 times
    Finding GOLD
    The "LAW" clearly does not apply to the ruling elite, nor the truth:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Diggins View Post
    They properly refer to 16 USC 1133 but seem to be ignoring Section (d)(2) which clearly states they are blowing smoke up your sluice.

Here's (d)(2)

Prospecting is specifically allowed in wilderness areas.

Did they really think no one would actually look up the law they are trying to BS with? Then they try to define prospecting when there is no such definition in the law.

Heavy Pans
    russau likes this.
    "The most inspiring thing about gold, is not the value, but under magnification, the true beauty of each piece. They are truly like snowflakes that never melt." Oakview2 Fly EAGLE Fly......

ca
    Jul 2014
    Port Perry, Ontario
    Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
    1146 times
    Metal Detecting
    Tempting to make your own sign that states mining is not withdrawn in this area and posting inaccurate signage that says otherwise will be met with scorn.

us
    Mar 2003
    Redding,Calif.
    6704 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I believe that pic is of the sign posted down in the San Gabriel mountains. There are many more kinds of closures on top of eminent domain now. They use the old EMERGENCY line a bs to promulgate for power,biological or any silly crappola they desire...sic sic sic world...F'M' and go mining.John

Sponsored Links