2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
so i posed this question to them TU dudettes, taken bets, removed or answered?(sarcasm) :laughing7: what was the purpose of introducing gravel, does that not harm the environment?

OP
OP
2cmorau

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i made a hard copy of this article, posted on FB, this double standard has me thinkin dreding is in my future, this clipping in my back pocket DFG,LEO, don't matter whip out this look them stright in the eyes , "do you really wanna cite me"

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
2c, when I bought my PLP T shirt, it was supposed to come with a PLP Challenge card. When I didn't get one, I e-mailed Walt Wegner. I went thru the org list but didn't really find a "paperwork person", so I e-mailed Walt. He quickly responded stating the cards were being redone due to the passing of Jerry and to get back to him. When they came in, he asked how many I wanted. I said just two...one for me and one for a buddy.

The point?

How often do you contact an org and the president personally takes care of you? Do you feel good contributing to a non-profit agency? Are you happy with their progress? Are you happy that the org has no hidden agendas because you've done your research?

Gold, ducks and fish have been here and flourished on this earth without intervention for countless years. If somebody wrongs one of these, I'm on board to fight for it but please, just do the homework first if you truly care.

"in the past couple of years, anglers and Game and Fish have noticed a significant drop in the number of fish in the creek. AZGFD biologists have attributed this to a couple of very dry/hot summers with marginal spawning taking place."

So let's add 20 tons of gravel to help mother nature out...since we can't make it rain more. Thankfully it rained while we did it tho and oh btw:

1. Stay off the redds - Stay out of the creek as much as you can. Be especially mindful of trout redds (spawning sites). Redds are areas where trout have cleaned the gravel in anticipation of laying eggs in the creek bed. Typically, they are more noticeable because the gravel is a different color than surrounding gravel and rocks. Stay off of these areas in order to protect the next generation of trout. Tread carefully.

2. Don’t fish to actively spawning trout - In the same vein of thought as the previous point, leave spawning fish alone. If you’re noticing brown trout on a redd or protecting a certain area of the creek, it’s extremely important to leave them be. Trout expend a large amount of energy spawning and getting yanked out of the water is a great way to kill a fish and hurt the fishery. Let me be clear. In my opinion, fishing to an actively spawning wild trout in Arizona is unethical. Our creeks are delicate ecosystems and messing around with an obviously spawning trout is not cool.

3. Get involved - It’s tough to do, but our beautiful state needs all the help it can get. Even if you’re not a TU member, at least shoot get on their mailing list and learn when the work groups are happening. Bring a friend. Bring your wife. Bring your kids. Come lend a hand at the next event. There are free donuts.

No thank you...not even for free donuts.

Last edited:

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i made a hard copy of this article, posted on FB, this double standard has me thinkin dreding is in my future, this clipping in my back pocket DFG,LEO, don't matter whip out this look them stright in the eyes , "do you really wanna cite me"

Me thinks this is gonna be a fun season! We should get chest cams!

OP
OP
2cmorau

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
JMHO
Ooooh Noooooo, thier gonna bury the Corydalus cornutus, no more Dobonsflies, how will the trout ever survive

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Would be cheaper, safer and smarter to grab a 4" dredge and clean the gravel that's already in that creek it seems to me!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UMMM "WILD" brown trout???????? Its an introduced fish....such hypocritical crap..... How can you put such protection on something that has only existed in an ecosystem for 130 years or less...was put there by man unnaturally. And then talk about it like your doing the "NATURAL" world such a favor....Such illogical crap.
The reason all the frogs in the upper sierra are down in number is introduced predators and fungus...then they blame it on us...and convince monied entitled sheep to pay it forward in the name of conservation....B!S! !!!!!!!!

I catch them and eat them.

OP
OP
2cmorau

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree, but there is a big dif between miners using a dredge and them fisherpeople
them 3 rules posted is BS, just PR crap
Dredging for the most part is static, moves forward at a slow pace, and effects a small area
fishing however catch and release year round, so ya have these hipwader fuls walkin the banks disrupting frogs/salmon eggs

frog on the NFYR tend to lay ther eggs around end of april and first of may
Dredging season has always been 4th Sat in May, well out of the little sperm like tadpols, be hoppin to a dif beat when i began to hump my dredge to the river and dredging would end OCT 15 well within the limits of the landlocked Kokanee
in 2010 dfg handed out 2,410,000 FL, thats not counting the freedays
last count 2009 for dredgers i think was 3400 DP

one introduces lead another takes it out
one trampels the banks, the other fixed in one spot
i am sure ya get what i am saying
2c, when I bought my PLP T shirt, it was supposed to come with a PLP Challenge card. When I didn't get one, I e-mailed Walt Wegner. I went thru the org list but didn't really find a "paperwork person", so I e-mailed Walt. He quickly responded stating the cards were being redone due to the passing of Jerry and to get back to him. When they came in, he asked how many I wanted. I said just two...one for me and one for a buddy.

The point?

How often do you contact an org and the president personally takes care of you? Do you feel good contributing to a non-profit agency? Are you happy with their progress? Are you happy that the org has no hidden agendas because you've done your research?

Gold, ducks and fish have been here and flourished on this earth without intervention for countless years. If somebody wrongs one of these, I'm on board to fight for it but please, just do the homework first if you truly care.

"in the past couple of years, anglers and Game and Fish have noticed a significant drop in the number of fish in the creek. AZGFD biologists have attributed this to a couple of very dry/hot summers with marginal spawning taking place."

So let's add 20 tons of gravel to help mother nature out...since we can't make it rain more. Thankfully it rained while we did it tho and oh btw:

1. Stay off the redds - Stay out of the creek as much as you can. Be especially mindful of trout redds (spawning sites). Redds are areas where trout have cleaned the gravel in anticipation of laying eggs in the creek bed. Typically, they are more noticeable because the gravel is a different color than surrounding gravel and rocks. Stay off of these areas in order to protect the next generation of trout. Tread carefully.

2. Don’t fish to actively spawning trout - In the same vein of thought as the previous point, leave spawning fish alone. If you’re noticing brown trout on a redd or protecting a certain area of the creek, it’s extremely important to leave them be. Trout expend a large amount of energy spawning and getting yanked out of the water is a great way to kill a fish and hurt the fishery. Let me be clear. In my opinion, fishing to an actively spawning wild trout in Arizona is unethical. Our creeks are delicate ecosystems and messing around with an obviously spawning trout is not cool.

3. Get involved - It’s tough to do, but our beautiful state needs all the help it can get. Even if you’re not a TU member, at least shoot get on their mailing list and learn when the work groups are happening. Bring a friend. Bring your wife. Bring your kids. Come lend a hand at the next event. There are free donuts.

No thank you...not even for free donuts.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I figured that maybe this post was going to be about losing your gold back in the water, but this is much worse. :(

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do as I say, not as I do. What a joke...

benny

Sep 15, 2012
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Must be approved by EPA. Looked like they trucked the gravel in from some other location. Wonder how they went about ensuring that they weren't introducing some other species to the stream. Or maybe they just didn't think of that...

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
i have no problem with tu doing what theyre doing, but wish f&g would realize their hypocrisy.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trout unlimited needs to realize it too!!!! They are the Marketing agent. They ask for donations. They profess they do the work. they should be fair and logical.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Must be approved by EPA. Looked like they trucked the gravel in from some other location. Wonder how they went about ensuring that they weren't introducing some other species to the stream. Or maybe they just didn't think of that...

Wouldn't be suprised if they didn't use Gold mining equipment to classify and clean the gravels

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I asked that very question and it was deleted so I have asked once more.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked that very question and it was deleted so I have asked once more.
They obviously don't care about introduced species!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread