Lemons to Lemonade

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
So I did a little prospecting upriver at mineral bar on Sunday. I made the fateful decision to wear basketball shorts instead of the trusty jeans that I normally wear because of the nice weather. Well, talk about a bad choice! On my hike in there's a shortcut that i always take where I have to do a little rock jumping accross the river to avoid going up and over the mountain following the trail. As i took my first step accross..KERPLUNK! I look down and see my phone (Samsung S5 Active) get caught in the current until it got wedged between bedrock and cobbles some 5 feet under water.

So I promptly removed my shirt and shoes and jumped in to retrieve my phone. Thankfully i got it and after drying out yesterday it's working again today. I'm a big sissy when it comes to cold water but surprisingly it really wasn't that bad. It was actually a kind of refreshing way to break up the hike. I've been really interested in sniping but have been reluctant because of my hate for cold water. But after my dip in the north fork yesterday I cant wait for May. I'm going in!!!
20150308_101247.jpg

Upvote 0

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike they have them made for them so they are not truly a brand as far as I know but you can call them up and ask. The prices on them haven't changed in years and they also have a back insert sown into them that goes up the back to help with lifting and keep pressure where it needs to be. They use to list them on the site but too many people were ordering the wrong sizes and returning them, so... They only sell them to people in person now.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's also water and dust proof. so it shouldn't have hurt it

Still on the phone? I watched this video, then decided... No Thanks :evil6:
I don't own a cell phone anymore but I have friends with Ham Radio's that can find signals in the middle of nowhere at the bottom of many canyons a whole lot better than any cell phone could ever think of. So call me ? ? ? Old School :evil6:

OP
OP
SchoolOfHardRocks

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the suggestion Reed, I'll for sure stop by the Auburn mining shop and check things out. Might as well spend the money right the first time, rather than buying a suit that isnt going to do me much good. Yeah and the phones doing fine now, but according to advertisement i shouldn't have had any problems in the first place :icon_scratch:

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am currently using 8/7mm semidry suit.. Though I will no doubt drop to a 4mm here MAY or June... Depending on how long you plan on bein in the water I would plan accordingly... doesn't take long to get chilled to the bone.. As far as weights are concerned no need. I think you will find buoyancy very helpful when snorkeling/underwater sniping.. Also it makes river travel easier.. Also I find that it is a whole lot easier to hike my crap upriver then to underwater snipe upriver and back down.. For example I would sometimes park at Pennyweight trail and walk all the way upriver to where the booth trail meets the river.. Then I would get in an float my ass back down to mineral bar and snipe.. Same thing at Yankee Park at the bridge take the windy point trail to indian or mineral bar and float back.. Anyway lots of places that this can be done and often with less then a 2hour walk... Ill tell you a really fun loop.. go down Euchre Bar trail then float down to the east side of green valley take the east green valley trail back to Euchre bar trail a great loop one of my favorites... Anyway just be safe.. River can be dangerous.. Know what u are getting into and be prepared.. Also keep your propsectin kit simple.. find the gold then youll know what u need.. Untill then its just deadweight.......

OP
OP
SchoolOfHardRocks

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks MM! I'll definitely check out that Euchre bar trail this year, havent been that way yet. Anyway, thanks again for the advice, i know its good advice because I've seen your results.

yodi

Mar 24, 2015
NE Washington
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master / Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had the same problem i moved to washington from AZ Yuma area. Even in the summer the rivers are cold to me, i picked up a cheap wet suit and it solved most of my problems.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread