fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Every so often I check Craigslist and Ebay to make sure I don't see familiar pictures of claims for sale that I know for certain aren't. My lord if you want to see whose honest and whose not, now is a good time. Take a look and check out the lead in's to their sales pitches - "Dredgings legal", "the bans over", "dredging opens this June", "start mining immediately everything transferable" and my personal favorite "never been mined". People got no scrupples, fricken crooks!

Upvote 0

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive seen some listed in the eastern sierra recently that are worthless its pretty bad.

itspaidfor

Feb 18, 2015
LeClaire,Ia
Primary Interest:
Other
Why have a claim if You don't stake it yourself?

Ive seen some listed in the eastern sierra recently that are worthless its pretty bad.

No need to have a claim until you come across good ground that pays. Plenty of good ground still out there to pay someone else for an empty hole in the ground with most likely little or no gold? If you can't find good ground yourself you don't need a claim! Just join a club and save your money because no one is going to sell you a claim with lots of gold in the ground. I have two claims and don't work either one. I got out on blm ground and suck the gold out of the hills and save my ground for a rainy day. Just like a bank account,besides the older them claims are the more they are worth.:icon_thumleft:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a claim and access to lots of good spots. I just look at various classifieds and came across some adds recently. I would never buy a claim unless it was proven, drilled and not in California.Other then that its way to easy to find open spots where I live.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pump the brakes....

I cant speak for any of the claims you have been looking at...but... I had a group of 4 claims in Oregon. The had been mined very little and not at all in the last 40 years. The location was truly pristine and the access was great. They also happened to have very little gold, hence the For Sale sign and my lack of interest. I sold them after advertising their positive attributes but for the gold content I suggested and allowed prospective buyers to test and make their own determination. The new buyer tested it and liked it and remains very happy.

Jumping on the internet and saying all claims for sale online are dishonest is a truly unfair and unfounded statement and unless you have actually tested a particular claim you cannot say it is a fraud.
As someone who sells many things online including claims, I have a problem with this attitude.

Caveat emptor - "let the buyer beware" is the cornerstone of American Business. If you buy a crappy car without test driving it from a salesman who said it ran great, is it your fault or his?

The point is, I do my best to be honest about the things I sell but I am not going to go on and on about all the deficiencies of an item, I am going to showcase the good qualities. I would actually be surprised if you did different

OP
OP
fowledup

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pump the brakes? I never said all claims on the internet are dishonest. What I said was "if you want to see whose honest and whose not now is a good time..." I then went on to quote excerpts from actual listings that flat out lie to a potential buyer. You say buyer beware, well that is true to some extent and unfortunately is exactly what these sellers are counting on, an uneducated or ill informed consumer who will trust their BS as gospel. I don't know, personally I have more integrity and feel the seller should have some responsibility for what they say. If I'm selling a lemon, I'm going to call it a lemon and price it accordingly. I'm not gonna let the buyer find out later and have them come back on me. I'd rather lose money than screw someone out of theirs, guess thats why I'm not in sales.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, with mining season coming up there seems to be a lot more listing on the web. This a a prime time for the "Brokers" both good and bad to move some claims.

There are some things that everyone has to keep in mind. Most important of these is our good friend "Due Diligence". You should treat a claim you're buying the same as one you stake on your own. I hate to say it, but there are a lot of people out there that will take advantage of others and a little diligence will go a long way towards keeping you from wasting money on a worthless claim.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Due diligence and the concept of a " prudent man"

jbarker52

May 19, 2010
You must be referencing the Claim on Ebay (among others) where the Seller is holding what looks like a huge chunk of Gold. I got suckered by that particular seller five years ago on an Arizona Claim. The Claim was supposedly loaded with Gold and had been in His family for 90 years or since the Great Depression. I found out later it was Located in the Wife's name a few months before I bought it. There are some honest Claim Sellers on Ebay however the Claims many of them sell were recently located and staked with no known Gold History or an "Exaggerated" Gold History. There are many Claims in Arizona where the amount of Gold recovered will never even cover the cost of the Claim. Most guys who buy Claims would be better off joining a club and work the club claims. I truly believe they would find more Gold on Club Claims as other Club Members will often assist newbies on where to prospect. Also, I have noticed many Lode Claims for sale as Gold Mines that were never known for Gold, often copper, silver or other metals. A Claim seller on Ebay told me Ore from their Claims in Northern Arizona assayed out at 3-5 ounces of Gold to the ton. I had Copper States in Prescott test the same Ore and it assayed out at one ounce of Gold to 146 tons of Ore. As I often quote the Great Author Mark Twain who lost money on Gold Mines Himself. He wrote that a Gold Mine Seller is a Liar standing in a hole in the ground.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The phrase is " A Gold Mine is hole in the ground with a liar on top"and it actually can not be proven to be said by mark Twain. But Claim jumper restaurant sure likes to have it on their wall

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is almost worse than trying to buy a used car from a discount lot.

treshuntintom

May 24, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jbarker,same person sold a couple I know from Canada a claim here close to Wickenburg 2 years ago.They went out,HE dry panned a spot,look a nugget,they wrote check for 5 K.They probably
haven't found 1/4 gram since.I"m fixing to sell 6 of my claims soon.You guys be nice to me,all in my name and tax paid and have AMC #'s.Everyone one have great week.Tom

jbarker52

May 19, 2010
GOLDWASHER- Thanks for correcting the Quote. Mark Twain did loose money on a Gold Mine by the way, or so I read somewhere.. TRESHUNTINTOM: Where are The six Claims You are selling ??? Any interesting Prospects ??

jbarker52

May 19, 2010
Treasurhuntintom: His buddy took me out to the Claim I bought from Him. We Vacuumed up some concentrate and drywashed and there were four or so pickers. After I bought the Claim I went back to the spot and got nothing. Old trick to salt a spot to lure in a sucker.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GOLDWASHER- Thanks for correcting the Quote. Mark Twain did loose money on a Gold Mine by the way, or so I read somewhere.. TRESHUNTINTOM: Where are The six Claims You are selling ??? Any interesting Prospects ??
He did lose money but, he also had stake in successful mines. spent a lot of time in the Comstock.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That is one reason when looking over a claim to buy you should always test it where you want to. NOT where the seller "suggests". If the seller won't let you test where you want to, run away as fast as your feet can go!!!

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the late 1800s ,crooks in Idaho and Wyoming salted areas with diamonds to sucker chumps. Every so often someone will find one of the salted gems.

treshuntintom

May 24, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wanted to let all the Arizona folks know.Went to Phoenix BLM this morning.Signed in at 9:15,transferred claim I sold and registered a new 40 acre claim for friend.
Signed out at 9:37.Everything went very smooth there.J,my claims are 10 miles north of Wickenburg on Scenic Loop Rd 1 mile from Box Canyon/black Hills.Good
gold to all out there.Tom

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad to hear the Phoenix office is a quick in and out. I should be there filing paper work around the first of the month.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Any one got any idea what the field reps out of the Kingman office are like? I've been told the guys in Yavapai county can be a pain at times. I figure it is better to have an idea what type of people I will have to be dealing with before I learn the hard way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread