Any reason to drop a lode claim over a placer claim and pay for both????

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doing some research on an area... A specific quarter section...

A 40 acre placer, a 20 acre placer and a lode claim.... The 20 acre placer and the lode are owned by the same people... From the LR2000...

Finally got around to getting the real deal from the county...

Turns out the Lode claim, covers the northern part of the 20 acre placer... "from NW corner of blah blah, 1320 ft east,
600ft south, 1320ft west, 600ft north".. Covers all but a 60ft x 1320ft strip of their placer claim...

Why??? They are paying full fare for both of them, for several years now, no small miners waiver.

I guess its all moot, their placer claim and their lode claim overlay the 40 acre placer claim in the quarter section. The
40 acre was there for 3 years prior.

Good for me, I was looking at the other side of the quarter section....

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, I've found quite a few places that are over claimed. Rather amazing how
often somebody drops a placer claim over an existing lode claim, or a placer over a placer. Apparently nobody
is paying attention, or actually out there digging, and the BLM is surely happy to collect triple fees for the
same 20 acres.

Upvote 0

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup. Finding over claiming happens all the time. Even so, if a mistake is found and you try to correct it, just try to get a refund from BLM.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions