Gold Sniping Etiquette

inshanity

Greenie
Mar 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

I apologize if these are dumb questions. I'm a long time spearfisherman who recently learned of sniping...right up my alley! Anyways, I bought my gear and from what I understood from the clerk sniping can be performed pretty much anywhere, unlike other forms of prospecting. After researching this I'm feeling unsure, and don't want to upset anyone, or end up with a fine. These are the specific questions I have:

1) Private property - Can I snipe through it assuming I don't go to shore?

2) Government land - Excluding rec areas that allow prospecting, can I snipe through BLM, Forrest Service, state parks?

3) Claims - Can I snipe through it assuming I don't go to shore?

Thanks for helping out!

Upvote 0

northern_sierras

May 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you dont want to have to worry about all the BS regs and worry about whos land or claim you are on, prospect on wild and scenic areas that dont allow claims but allow manual mining such as sniping. The gold is best in these places because 99% of people shy away from prospecting in areas that you cant park your motorhome near.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you dont want to have to worry about all the BS regs and worry about whos land or claim you are on, prospect on wild and scenic areas that dont allow claims but allow manual mining such as sniping. The gold is best in these places because 99% of people shy away from prospecting in areas that you cant park your motorhome near.

Good tip. Also applies to most Federal Wilderness Areas, campgrounds on federal lands and even city parks in gold country (best to ask about "rock hounding" rules if on city land).

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In those far out places, do you have must trouble with robbers?

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know up here in nh. the state owns the water, but land owners boundery is the middle of the river. White Mountains hands and pans only but check with ranger service first, or big brother will have a chat with you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread