A 52 Sluice Improvements

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
20150125_113350.jpg Hi fellow sluicers, if look you at the picture you will see that I added 8 inches of v grove mat to the front of the flair on my sluice, it is glued and bolted down, what it does is create a dam in front of your sluice, one benefit of this that it will hold your sluice down, no more placing rocks on it to keep in place and it speeds up the water entering the sluice so you will be able run shallower and slower flow areas of the river. 2015-03-10 16.24.53.jpg

The other mod was to add more v grove mat on the flair of the sluice, as seen in the pic, when you look at the second pic you will see why.
The second pic was taken after processing 2 buckets " material was classified to 1/2 in at the site " about 3 weeks ago on the Skykomish River, Wa
Oh and believe it or not the sluice is 15 years old and I have run thousands of buckets threw it, Keene makes a great sluice.
If you have any questions please ask, Ed

Upvote 0

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks good.

Bought my A52 way back in the late 70's, and it still catchin' gold today.

Are you running carpet underneath the expanded metal?

OP
OP
et1955

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Was running carpet but just last week changed to vortex mat

Maitland

Mar 15, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Detector(s) used
White's Silver Eagle, Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm planning on buying an A52 sometime to make a recirculating sluice. I was thinking of doing the same thing with adding the matting to it, however, I was going to use Gold Hog's Razorback matting as opposed to normal v-groove matting.

OP
OP
et1955

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I believe you will have to run the sluice with very fast water, I have Hog's mats in my electric highbanker running 2 1000gph pumps and the mats work great for beach mining, so much black sand, the beach was black for as far as you can see, ever try running pure blacksand with fine gold in it but as stated before the hog mats did the job.
The v goove is great for slow flow water and the Razor works best with fast flow.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm planning on buying an A52 sometime to make a recirculating sluice. I was thinking of doing the same thing with adding the matting to it, however, I was going to use Gold Hog's Razorback matting as opposed to normal v-groove matting.

I currently have v-mat but am thinking of using Gold Hog's new Washer Mat (designed to reduce cons). I likely will buy some and compare to the v-mat now in the A-52.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am not allowed to use an in stream sluice, but I like your front mod.

Something I have did in one of my small sluices, which had carpet, was to run a line of bathtub silicone along the expanded mesh, directly under each riffle. Years ago, I had noticed that some water was sneaking under the riffle where the diamond in the mesh created a hole and was blowing out really fine gold. For clarity, I put the silicone into the mesh and let it harden before reassembling the sluice. The fix has lasted forever.

Serenenomad

Greenie
May 26, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the same sluice Ed..I have some type of blue miners moss....not sure how effective it is?...would love to catch up with you sometime on the Sky.
Chris

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread