Heavy White Sand - what is it?

Sorehands

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am working a very productive stream in Georgia.

The stream material has a lot of distinct colors.

Black- almost charred sand
Bright red
Yellowish orange
Very bright white sand.

During sluice clean-up, after tapping the gold to the side of the pan, the white sand is not as heavy as the gold, but is heavier than the black (magnetite) sand. It is very fine and quite heavy.

I have only been prospecting for about a year, has anyone come across this before.

Am wondering if it is valuable material.

Any advice is welcome.

Upvote 0

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Any pics of the stuff?
Get enough collected and get an assay.
Is there any history of platinum in your area?

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting,,,
It COULD be neodymium Or any of these,,in just about any combination.
Of this total heavy mineral concentrate (THM), the components are typically
##Zircon, from 1% of THM to upwards of 50% of THM,
##Ilmenite, generally of 10% to 60% of THM
##Rutile, from 5% to 25% of THM
##Leucoxene, from 1% to 10% of THM
##Trash minerals, typically quartz, magnetite, garnet, chromite and kyanite, which usually account for the remaining bulk of the THM content
Simple "heavy white sands" Google search results
Heavy mineral sands ore deposits - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The ONLY guaranteed identification would be an assayers analysis of course.

Hit

socalal99

Jan 26, 2013
So Cal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sometimes very white sand is scheelite tungsten ore, which is very heavy. It is almost snow white. Lots of in on the San Gabriel River, East Fork, in particular below CC bridge.

OP
OP
S

Sorehands

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for all of the suggestions! I need to get a black-lite to check.
The next most likely is quartz/garnet dust - as I am in northern GA.

Oddly enough I found two pieces of metal/rock that pass all of the meteorite home tests, has density that is higher than lead, is an 8 on the Mohs scale, charred outside, nickel-like center, highly magnetic, etc. Sending them in for an Assay. We'll see, it is still low odds.

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Whites and cheep bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you for all of the suggestions! I need to get a black-lite to check.
The next most likely is quartz/garnet dust - as I am in northern GA.

Oddly enough I found two pieces of metal/rock that pass all of the meteorite home tests, has density that is higher than lead, is an 8 on the Mohs scale, charred outside, nickel-like center, highly magnetic, etc. Sending them in for an Assay. We'll see, it is still low odds.

I have 18 buckets I am crushing down and when panned has very fine corse gold and the gold and white Quartz seperate together with lesser of black sands .

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best thing to do is buy one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QF0A1Y/

Cheaper than assay and usually answers your questions.
Plus.......... when you're bored... it's just fun.
But it also will TEACH you many things.
i.e. Understanding H.E. hydraulic equivalence.
That's a ball point pen in the pic below.
It's just cool to look.

scope3.jpg

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best thing to do is buy one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QF0A1Y/

Cheaper than assay and usually answers your questions.
Plus.......... when you're bored... it's just fun.
But it also will TEACH you many things.
i.e. Understanding H.E. hydraulic equivalence.
That's a ball point pen in the pic below.
It's just cool to look.

View attachment 1132937

Thanks Doc :) I just looked at yours and then after reading the reviews and looking at a bunch of them, I found this one on sale also.
300x should work great for selling pickers :)
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Micro...r_1_10?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1426710663&sr=1-10

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
S

Sorehands

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All:

I sent the above question a while ago - where I have been finding heavy white sand that seems to be mixed in with the gold. Now I am starting to find slightly bigger pieces - beyond the white sand. I will probably just have to have it assayed to be sure, but it is hard to stump this group:

1. So the silver-slightly reflective pieces are heavy - they stay in the bottom of the sluice-box - just like the gold does
2. The material is malleable but not as much as gold - has a slight brittleness
3. It does not interact with a magnet (though it was a great way to get rid of some of the black sand!)
4. It dissolves completely in concentrated nitrite acid (I have not ordered the specialized acid testing kits yet)
5. It turned a bronzish/brown as it dissolved, but the testing stone I was using was less than optimal
6. I am attaching a couple of pictures - also not super-clear.
7. From the looks of the edges - this is very very fresh - not been in the stream for long so I am curious what it is and if I should focus on locating where it is concetrated
IMG_1363.JPG IMG_1364.JPG IMG_1365.JPG

The stream is a decent gold producer and is located just north of Atlanta GA

Any ideas are welcome.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sometimes very white sand is scheelite tungsten ore, which is very heavy. It is almost snow white. Lots of in on the San Gabriel River, East Fork, in particular below CC bridge.

I know this response is to an older post in this thread but......An old prospecting friend of mine told me 40 plus years ago that he, his dad and others actually panned scheelite or some other tungsten minerals and sold them for the war effort back in the early 1940's. I think I remember that they were panning in the Arivaca area of AZ. Probably still has value but with non commercial quantities the problem would be to find buyers.

Sorehands......I have no clue what the silvery material is but check this link for silver possibilities. https://www.google.com/webhp?source...ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=what dissolves silver

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Could be tin or tin compounds. Tend to be white and heavy.

OP
OP
S

Sorehands

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kevin:

I think you have nailed it. Thank you - as always. Germanium seems to be quite close - white heavy sand-like appearance (when pulverized). Larger pieces are white/silver in color, metal-like appearance though somewhat brittle. It is supposed to be diamagnetic (I will have to try that out).

It is good to have a solid/likely description of what it probably is..... the bummer is that it is priced at about $1.15 per gram. I had better find a lot of it! I wonder if I could wish it into Palladium....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread