Amazon Gold

aescal

Nov 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got back from a trip into a valley that runs into a feeder for the Amazon. At 2600meters above sea level its pretty cold, even though the foliage and bugs would have you think it sweltering. Took a 4 hour trip to Sorata in bus, then 4 hour trip to Intilaya (sp?), and from there 3 hours by Landcruiser to the peak of the valley, and a 1 hour trek down by foot and to rivers edge. I bought into a community mine, named Cooperativas, literally coops, of the community. My new associates have just recently established claim to the area, and with no machinery have been working the banks by hand for years now.

The round wooden pans are called bateas (Bat-a-ahs), principle being just swirling the dirt around, and washing the matter off the edges until only the heavies are concentrated in the center. We arrived at dusk, giving us just enough time to sample the rivers edge and take GPS coords and elevations. The guys washed about 3 pans full, with about 15 pieces of color, 2 good sized pickers. I of course, in gringo fashion, had taken a military duffle bag full of camping supplies, and got odd looks from everyone as to why I needed so much stuff. We hiked up the river, it drops about 20' every 80', and fast, cold, and every rock is covered in moss/slime. When we needed to cross, it took machete to down a couple of trees and make a precarious one log bridge across, with one log for hand support (kinda hard carrying a pan, shovel, and trying to keep from becoming a human popsicle.

You can see the guys washing in the video, as well as the huge rocks left by flow from upstream. Once it was dark we went back to the campsite, where the guys have setup rudimentary cabins for overnighting. After starting a fire and boiling water, we celebrated with coffee and bread, and started to discuss how to mechanize / bring in heavy machinery. Not cheap considering a 10 year old Caterpillar excavator with 10k hours runs about 100K $US. It was only then I realized in my duffle bag I had brought my Bazooka Super Mini, I got so caught up in hike downhill and seeing the river I forgot. The guys insisted on trying it out, even at 11 o'clock at night. So flash lites, machetes, and Zooka in hand, we went back to the first spot we panned. A rudimentary dam and several bug bites later I explained the concept and had them fill their bateas. After 3 slow pans full I emptied the zooka into an unused batea, and had them pan it down. It was like kids in a candy store, seeing as how a batea takes roughly 5-8 minutes to pan down, and the mini zooka ate up 3 bateas in roughly 3 mins. The picture of the color is what 3 pans got us, though I think the flow might have been off as well as the angle, at that point I was freezing from the spray and just wanted to get into a sleeping bag.

Walking back to the campsite in the dark we came across a stone cabin, when I asked who stayed there I was told it was a house of the Incas. It certianly looked old enough, the rock having been weathered smooth and moss growing all about. It was then that the president informed us that we needed to leave at 6am ish to make back to town by 10am, since corn harvest season had started and he had to harvest along with his father. So we decided at 2am to head back up the trail, which took only 2 hours since I held everyone up. And arriving at the truck it had a flat front tire, so there I am gasping after having ascended 400 meters with a duffle bag, and of course I light a celebratory cigarette and help change the tire. Back at the presidents house we all bunked in the same room, and being so tired I left my damp socks on, not realizing how cold it got (look at the picture of the town and you can literally see its at cloud level). I had purple red feet in the morning. I am gonna head back in two weeks, probably to setup a gravity dredge (got about 20 foot of gold hog mats) if I can find some neoprene chest waders. I plan on ordering 2 Zooka miners so that everyone can share in the experience, and so actually start pooling some gold for the eventual purchase of a excavator.

:sorry the vidya is at a funny angle

tacacoma(2).jpg

20150314_183459.jpg

20150314_183511.jpg

20150314_183528.jpg

20150314_212952.jpg

20150314_213812.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
outstanding.gif
Super. Next time - maybe a few "carriage returns" in your description to make reading it a little easier for some of us old farts! :)

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
way cool,brings back memories, the lone guy in the first picture ( Bolivia) Altiplano, about 5000 meters, digging up placer gold
bottom pic is the truck i hired to haul in the stuff, drop off point was in Apolo, seven days of hard hiking to Rio Tuichi, what a trip that was, thanks for posting
and keep us posted
woohoo

Attachments

• Bolivia.jpg
    Bolivia.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 121
OP
OP
A

aescal

Nov 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
way cool,brings back memories, the lone guy in the first picture ( Bolivia) Altiplano, about 5000 meters, digging up placer gold
bottom pic is the truck i hired to haul in the stuff, drop off point was in Apolo, seven days of hard hiking to Rio Tuichi, what a trip that was, thanks for posting
and keep us posted
woohoo

Havent been as far in as Apolo. But did some business in Mapiri, the gold has all but been picked clean in that area. Theres still plenty of fine and flour left, but its not economically feasible to bring in heavy machinery and work the banks. Does make for a good escape though, as the mountains of tailings and overburden just litter the riverbanks, and are easy to pan. Those big ole trucks like in your picture have all but disappeared, brings back nice memories of traveling into the jungle with my dad in the back of those =)

OP
OP
A

aescal

Nov 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nows the part where I ask for help from the seasoned experts.....

Ive got clear, albeit cold, fast water, with a great drop. I wanna try a gravity dredge out, roughly 250' of thick polytubing, and if it works then ill bring in galvanized pipe. Somewhere down the line, Im thinking 4inch line, I would like to put a suction line, either venturi type nozzle or a power jet. Im hoping that through the drop and reduction Ill have enough velocity to actually suck up a good amount of material into 25ft x 18" sluice, maybe add a header box with several feet of 1/2 mess to stop flat shale from entering and blowing everything behind the riffles out. There are slight bends that make excellent lil pools to dig out holes, not to mention mounds of deposit with few big rocks. Not to familiar with actual dredging, the highbanking part I have down past a newbie level. What would yall go with? A power jet and 2-3 nozzle or try a venturi nozzle and hope that the pressure is suffice? Id be running about 10' of moss with expanded metal on top and deep v rib mats underneath, the remainder gold hog mats...

Some pointers? Critiques?

Nothing will hurt my feelings.....

Thanks in advance:thumbsup:

Tried the links for the gravity dredge plans but all they pulled up was Gold Fever Hair Weaves....lol

dredge.jpg

Last edited:

spaghettigold

Oct 14, 2013
western sahara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi aescal

Foto0233.jpg This would make more sense to me.

Running a power jet or a suction nozzle would make sense to me i you have the situation that you want to dredge below your waterfall where no drop is available.
A problem that i have because my actual river is in a plain.I have a artificial waterfall of c.a. 13 feet. After the waterfall,where i would like to dredge, the river runs pretty flat.In the future i would like to figure out if its possible to run a powerjet using a wider intake tube and then reduce.But i could not find enything in the net .I looked at pelton turbines websites etc.etc. I guess i have to find a mathematician/hydrologie-expert to answer my questions.
However..If you have constant drop available on your creek its much easyer to use a much shorter tube/hose and connect it directly as a suction/discharge line to the sluice box. What REALLY would be nice would be to use your spare tubing to create a blaster line,so you can blast away the hardpack befor suckin up. I Have to dredge without blasting in my actual spots and i can assure you its a pain when you have to dredge thru cemented/hardpack material.It greatly reduces the cubic yards you can process .

Emilio

Last edited:

spaghettigold

Oct 14, 2013
western sahara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you not seen it yet,this is my last septembers set up. (VERTICAL VIDEO WARNING)

And here when running ;

Here i used only 26 feet of hose..but if only i had a blaster nozzle...i tryed to dissolve the hardpack by fanning violently with my hands against the face of the hardpack-wall, resulting in fingerjoint pains for 3 weeks after the trip .
For suction line go as big(diameter) as you can.If you go bigger then 5 inch you may need to ad a wider sluice section.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread