Tennessee gold prospecting bill raises concerns....but not for us!

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I assume that in the title, the "not for us" means persons who do not Gold prospect and only prospect for Gem, Rock and Mineral Specimens! Since I do Gold prospect in Tennessee, some of these (I assume) proposed regulations will effect me. I attended a meeting at the TDEC Office in Knoxville last Spring and gave my opinions and input on some of these proposed regulations which we though would have been enacted last year but never were, at least as far as I can find. That early draft of the proposed regulations as they were originally written, would have pretty much eliminated Gold prospecting in the State of Tennessee and would have severely affected the commerce in most of the areas where Gold prospecting is conducted. It seems that no matter where in this Country that new regulations are proposed or enacted, they always seem to make it seem that suction dredges totally destroy fish and other aquatic habitate in streams and rivers when they don't always do so and there is never any mention of how much toxic and poisonous Mercury that is removed by Gold prospectors every year by using suction dredges that made into the streams and rivers in the 1800's through the 1930's or 1940's due to Gold prospectors trying to recover Gold.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Not exactly what I meant, lol. The article written was including some of the proposed concerns from an attorney from the Southern Environmental Law Center and the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency. The concern of course was in response to dredging. It raises concerns for them; not us the miners. Not only will dredging continue, but the use of 10 h.p. motors will be allowed instead of 8 h.p.; which is what they were pushing for. The proposal of new regulations is always a concern to us miners; whether it be gold or gems. They all fall into the same rules and regulations of mineral extraction and collection. Tennessee is doing well in comparison to other states.

(i) No application or written request shall be required from a person who desires to conduct Class II noncommercial gold mining in this state;
(ii) No written permission is required from the commissioner or the division in order for any person to conduct Class II noncommercial gold mining in this state;
(iii) There shall be no fee for conducting Class II noncommercial gold mining in this state;

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Not exactly what I meant, lol. The article written was including some of the proposed concerns from an attorney from the Southern Environmental Law Center and the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency. The concern of course was in response to dredging. It raises concerns for them; not us the miners. Not only will dredging continue, but the use of 10 h.p. motors will be allowed instead of 8 h.p.; which is what they were pushing for. The proposal of new regulations is always a concern to us miners; whether it be gold or gems. They all fall into the same rules and regulations of mineral extraction and collection. Tennessee is doing well in comparison to other states.

(i) No application or written request shall be required from a person who desires to conduct Class II noncommercial gold mining in this state;
(ii) No written permission is required from the commissioner or the division in order for any person to conduct Class II noncommercial gold mining in this state;
(iii) There shall be no fee for conducting Class II noncommercial gold mining in this state;

Okay, now I understand what you meant! My main concerns are the limitations on the size of streams (widths) in which Class II or Class I Gold mining can be conducted. I have a secret spot that you probably have already read about as I have mentioned it in posts quite a few times. It is a fairly small stream that contains Gold and who knows what else in it which is coming into it via an underground stream. I have been told that the underground stream is likely flowing through an eroding volcanic pipe and the stream I prospect on was historically mined for Gold.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
If you read the current regulations and read the new bill that will be effective July, 1st; the new bill is far more favorable to us the miners. It goes into far greater detail. For example; the current bill classifies ALL trommels as a Class 2. Now, Anything hand-powered or hand-fed is considered Class 1: including trommels.

OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
My main concerns are the limitations on the size of streams (widths) in which Class II or Class I Gold mining can be conducted.

Frank

This is exactly how the further classification can be helpful. Now, all hand-powered/fed operations are a Class 1. :thumbsup:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
If you read the current regulations and read the new bill that will be effective July, 1st; the new bill is far more favorable to us the miners. It goes into far greater detail. For example; the current bill classifies ALL trommels as a Class 2. Now, Anything hand-powered or hand-fed is considered Class 1: including trommels.

Yep, that is the good parts as well as the no cost permits! The original proposal was for $500 for a Class I Permit and somewhat less (I believe $250 or $300) for a Class II Permit.

Frank

OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
This is the current Class 2 crap:

Class 2 activities must obtain coverage by submitting a signed and completed Notice of lntent (NOI), along with any other required
information, to the division. Each NOI shall apply to only one operator and only to qualifying prospecting equipment owned by that
operator. Work shall not commence until a written Notice of Coverage (NO C) from the division is received. A NOI may request
coverage for up to five stream segments totaling one mile or less of completed Notice of lntent (NOI), along with any other required
information, to the division. Each NOI shall apply to only one operator and only to qualifying prospecting equipment owned by that
operator.....

As I stated above, nothing will be required for operations after July,1st.

OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Current dredging regulations are divided into separate categories for stream width:

Minimum streams sizes relative to dredge sizes are as follows:
Dredge Size* Stream Size
2 inches or less = Minimum wetted width of 15 feet at the spot of the activity

Up to 3 inches = Minimum wetted width of 50 feet at the spot of the activity

Up to 4 inches = Minimum wetted width of 100 feet at the spot of the activity

The maximum dredge size may not exceed four ( 4) inches in diameter.

The new bill has only one regulation that I can see:

(vi) Class II noncommercial gold mining is prohibited in any stream with a wetted width of less than five feet (5′).

Regulated to 3' for Class 1.

Aufish

Feb 3, 2015
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wooo environuts swinging pseudo science around, good times. Fake science & bull**** can't survive forever

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I read a short update awhile ago but does anybody have a good link for up-to-date facts..?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I read a short update awhile ago but does anybody have a good link for up-to-date facts..?

Apparently in their infinite wisdom, the Tennessee Department of Environment & Conservation (https://www.tn.gov/environment) has made it virtually impossible to find the regulation's section on permitting for Gold Prospecting in Tennessee! You will likely have to call the Knoxville Office at (865) 594-6035 which is in charge of the permitting and request a copy of the regulations sent to you via email or mail. It is possible that the Regulation has been repealed but I am unsure of that. I have a copy of the Regulation laying around somewhere but it will take more time for me to find it than it would to request a copy from them. Sorry!

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread