A face from the past,,,, reveals itself on my claim

IdahoGoldGettR

Mar 13, 2014
Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Now talk about a haunting experience,,,, I know not everyone has claims with past tailing piles but especially those with the hand stacked walls by the 1800's China men may heed warning to this message. This man walks daily past such walls each day to his claim but on each attempt, there is that sense of "wonderment" that occurs,,,, asking what really took place up here to make men stack such rock piles. Well, it was on this particular day of this past January 29th that I would question,,, who's watching over my back?
I had spent a good amount of the day removing ice and snow from an old tailing pile along an adjacent river. On every dump of the classified five gallon bucket, the sluice box would reveal little, if any, gold. On a last ditch effort to call it a loss, I took my trusty pick and notched out a deeper cut into the over stacked rock pile. To be quite frank, it was a lot of work that my clothing didn't want to absorb. However after several shovels of gravel the sluice box yielded not only some great color but a nice 1/2 penny weight nugget. As always, you gotta capture the moment and so I took the following pictures. A later look at the pics revealed an astonishing face in the water looking near that productive hole (see photo 1 -yellow arrow points to such face just left of the shovel handle). One's got to question, is this just a camera glitch, am I seeing something others are not, or is this the real deal and did I just experience "a face from the past?" I'd like you thoughts on this. The nugget photo in the field and in its close-up can be seen in the last two photos.

Jan29-2015 Gold (3).JPG Jan29-2015 Gold (10).JPG Jan29-2015 gold closeup (7).JPG

Upvote 0

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good thing you stuck with it and got that gorgeous gold! :occasion14:

BTW, I blew your pic up to 600x, and that is the business end of your shovel.
The water refracts the light to make it look disconnected from the handle.

OP
OP
IdahoGoldGettR

IdahoGoldGettR

Mar 13, 2014
Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I knew I'd find the right guy on this forum to figure it out. Ya gotta love technology. If I get any more kind of "strange occurrence," I'll definitely run it past you. Just so you know, I still feel as if "someone is watching me" as I walk by these tailings.

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's really cool. it does look just like an old mans face. I thought it wasn't it cause the arrow isn't pointing to it. where the arrow is pointing at looks like the reflection off the bank. but the shovel part looks just like an old man's face. perfectly. just looking up out the water.

my friend is a Wiccan. she used to say a mirror or a reflextion saves images. that the dead no no time. so they could travel to any moment the chose even time that they didn't exist. and only a mirror or reflection will tell you of there existence. you have the relm of life on 1 side and the other on the other side. but very rarely do they or we even notice what's on the other side. we just choose not to see what's right in front of us.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Damn, now that's worth the effort right there. :D
Great finds, and great story, even if it was the shovel. :)

yodi

Mar 24, 2015
NE Washington
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master / Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No it's definitely a ghost no doubt!!! If you will take me and my sluice to your spot i'll let you borrow my proton pack.

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The story was very interesting, the water looked extremely cold and the gold was
very much worth the effort to recover it....thanks for sharing the experience.

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Okay, I'll bite. I see something Chinese but it's not a man's face, it's a Panda Bear.:tongue3: Anyone else? Pretty cool effect the water caused. Excellent Gold.

Edit: In case you are wondering, the three dark spots in the center make up the eyes and the nose. The dark spot to the upper left would be the ear.???:tongue3:

Last edited:

SpecJet

May 8, 2013
So Cal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Okay, I'll bite. I see something Chinese but it's not a man's face, it's a Panda Bear.:tongue3: Anyone else? Pretty cool effect the water caused. Excellent Gold.

Edit: In case you are wondering, the three dark spots in the center make up the eyes and the nose. The dark spot to the upper left would be the ear.???:tongue3:

It's definitely a panda. You can even see his white belly and black arms.
Wait....Pandas are an endangered species and you have a drowning one on your claim.
Oh god.... I can see it now, here comes a new mining regulation.

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Maybe there is a connection:

Symbol of good luck: Today, the Giant Panda is the beneficiary of its distinguished place in Chinese cultural lore. In most places, the panda is highly revered as a symbol of good luck, and the Chinese people are very proud to call the panda their own despite the fact that most have never even seen a wild panda. Although panda’s are subject to some poaching pressure, many Chinese who encounter pandas in their villages treat them as honored guests, feeding them and alerting local authorities when a panda is found sick or injured.
The giant panda has been selected as one of the five mascots for the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

I would keep working that area if I were you.

OP
OP
IdahoGoldGettR

IdahoGoldGettR

Mar 13, 2014
Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No it's definitely a ghost no doubt!!! If you will take me and my sluice to your spot i'll let you borrow my proton pack.
My Gosh, I am now reliving the 80's all over again. Better call the Ghost Busters.

WAIT,,, HOLD THAT THOUGHT...............

Okay, I'll bite. I see something Chinese but it's not a man's face, it's a Panda Bear.

It's definitely a panda. You can even see his white belly and black arms.
Wait....Pandas are an endangered species and you have a drowning one on your claim.
Oh god.... I can see it now, here comes a new mining regulation.

Better yet, call a veterinarian, I've got a drowning Panda on the claim! SpecJet, that was down right funny. Now you got me thinking that there may be a polar bear or two out there as well. Don't look now but here come the penguins.

Last edited:

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The refraction of the water reminds me of when I used to bowfish for carp and suckers in minnesota. You have to aim a bit lower than the fish, because of the refraction, and also because the arrow would flatten out when it hit the water. As far as the gold goes, keep digging. That is some good stuff you are getting!

OP
OP
IdahoGoldGettR

IdahoGoldGettR

Mar 13, 2014
Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The refraction of the water reminds me of when I used to bowfish for carp and suckers in minnesota.
Very cool. I was born & raised in Minnesota and did the same thing with the carp/buffalo in shallow water. I still miss those walleye & northern fishing trips.

I figured this is as good a time as any to show the gold that I recovered after finding such a whole (with such a face). Here are a few gold sample pans I took in the recent past few winter months of prospecting. Got to love Idaho back country gold.
Cheers- Randy

Gold 2-12-15 (1).JPG Gold 2-18-15 2.JPG Gold 2-18-15 4.JPG Gold 2-26-15 (1).JPG Gold 2-26-15 (3).JPG

Last edited:

WILTON

Mar 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Gosh, I am now reliving the 80's all over again. Better call the Ghost Busters.

WAIT,,, HOLD THAT THOUGHT...............

Better yet, call a veterinarian, I've got a drowning Panda on the claim! SpecJet, that was down right funny. Now you got me thinking that there may be a polar bear or two out there as well. Don't look now but here come the penguins.

Hilarious! Your last pic in post #13 is great!

AuTSaurus

Feb 22, 2007
So. Ca.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, Goldbug2, Fisher CZ, White's Goldmaster, Vallon
IdahoGoldGettr,

First, congratulations on the gold! That's some nice results!

Second, it doesn't look like a panda to me. Go back, look again, and think "hockey mask". You say you feel like someone is watching you?

BOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Greg

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice gold. I would stick to the story about the face in the water, just because it adds to the excitement. However, if I was an old-timer wanting to haunt my old stomping grounds, I think I would pick the dance hall and not the cobble stack. LOL

ebuyc

Jan 17, 2012
Spokane, Washington
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Happy birthday IdahoGoldGettR!

April fools baby huh? Just wanted to say happy birthday - You prospect like 33! Congrats!!

When I come down this summer I have a late birthday present I am sure you will love ;)

Hopefully I can talk you out of some of those quartz specimens this time too...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions