Ice Cold Gold

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Well if you've been following this show you know that in two episodes they voted some men off the show because (their reasoning) these two men didn't fit into the type of prospecting they were doing............HMM? the why did they need 2 gemologists and two equipment operators? and why do they need guys that didn't know anything on prospecting or mountain climbing ,and WHY did they hire a "expert" mountain climber (Doug)guide that was lost and don't wear protective helment when ropeing down a unstable rock / ice wall when anybody could see material falling as they went? well if voteing people off the show is what they want then my suggestion is : get rid of Eric the geologist that has been biten by "STUPIDITY" in not preparing for this trip with topo mats of the terrain that has elevations marked (he said he didn't know the mnt.was so steep. and don't wear safty glass' while trying to chip out samples.going off his safty rope to try to look for samples in a icey cravas with rushing water. get rid of Americo. he has lots of energy but NO experience / common sense. :BangHead:

Upvote 0

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am watching season three, episode six. The lid on one of their cargo boxes came open during flight and caused "turbulance" for the pilot so he dumped it.

Am I missng something? It was a helicopter. All the pilot had to do was stop flying forward and just hover. Descend to a reasonable altitude, say, 3 feet and then drop the load. No damage to the equipment.

This show is stupid.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am watching season three, episode six. The lid on one of their cargo boxes came open during flight and caused "turbulance" for the pilot so he dumped it.

Am I missng something? It was a helicopter. All the pilot had to do was stop flying forward and just hover. Descend to a reasonable altitude, say, 3 feet and then drop the load. No damage to the equipment.

This show is stupid.

Not that matters but I'm sure they were fully insured.
as for clean-up...
If I were on the crew ,
I would have dropped Americo & his new Mutt off & told him " We'll be back in a Month. have everything on a pile for us"

as is I'm guessing the Chopper company is really responsible for clean up

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The added dog was a good idea, but going to that island in the
middle of nowhere, and worse yet without any tools...not so
good of an idea.

Their gear is definitely toast..or at least most of it. Sure to be
a lot of salvageable items like chisels, the sluice, etc. All the
hammers, etc. should also still be good, providing they can
find them.

Best part of the show tonight was the "Next week on Ice
Cold Gold" part right at the end. From what it looks like, Eric
is being handed his hat and shown the door..
kicked-out.jpg~original

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ok, i see i am not missing much not watching the show :laughing9:

but, hey you say they added a mutt to the program, poor dog having to suffer throught that

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok, i see i am not missing much not watching the show :laughing9:

but, hey you say they added a mutt to the program, poor dog having to suffer throught that

Yea I guess because they are "Animal Planet" They need to satisfy the Animal Rights people.

I agree it may be a good idea if it will attack a polar bear & not run away.
if the Bear fills up on Dog, their security crew snipers my have time to get their guns out .

Or if they loose all their food & need some fresh meat :dontknow:
but it's not going to help prospect. just piz&crap & eat
DizzyDigger : Best part of the show tonight was the "Next week on Ice
Cold Gold" part right at the end. From what it looks like, Eric

Eric ? why not Americo ? I still wanna watch Americo cry.

Last edited:

MadJack_ME

Apr 11, 2013
Maine, mostly
Detector(s) used
Original Gold Bug, Dahlke Dredges, LeTrap Sluice for clean-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This show is stupid.

What's funny, they showed the sling beneath the chopper with TWO boxes in it, but somehow they only dropped ONE??? And when they did the fly-over looking for wreckage, where was the bright blue sling?

The "island" wasn't even an island, just a high point of land the ice receded from. Who starts looking for gold near the top of a mountain/hill? So now they're going to go out ON the ice as if gold magically floated up on top. Come on now, we all know ICE is 19.6 times heavier than gold...

It's getting so dangerous now I have to wait til 5:00 Friday morning to watch it! [that makes more sense than this show, at this point]

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like most everything else, the cargo accident is likely staged/scripted. There's a good reason why they make you sign all those scary legal documents and non-disclosures to be on these shows.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Lesson learned... if you can continue the quest with only half your equipment, then you originally ordered twice as much as you needed.

The pilot would have visually inspected the sling load prior to picking it up. It won't accidentally come open in flight.

Bad news: I threw up a little in my mouth last night during the show.

Good news: I got to eat the taco twice and only paid for it once.

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This show is beyond ridiculous but unfortunately I am a moth to a flame regarding all "treasure" shows. I'm not entirely sure though if I am watching a show about mining/prospecting or a show about rock climbing. It definitely seems more the latter. I almost wish they had found a gold nugget twenty feet up a sheer cliff, just to see how in the heck they'd go about mining it. I wouldn't trust these guys, as they are portrayed on the show, with a bottle rocket, let alone a stick of dynamite.

That's really the stupidest part of the show; "Let's take samples from places where it would be physically impossible to mine!"

And as others have said, what makes them think if they have their "eureka" moment, Greenland wouldn't just swipe that from them too? Sell the rights to the ruby company or someone similar?

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having worked with a reality show in a similar realm, I feel really bad for all those guys. They are probably all good guys with good intentions, but are at the whims of the producer and have almost zero control over the scope and direction. If the producer wants to portray you as a douchebag, then guess what? You get get to be the show's douchebag! As with most of these shows, the "stars" typically lose all respect within the industry being portrayed, but gain a small amount of fame from those in peripheral hobbies. As much as we may dislike this show, the producer is successful and the show is obviously making money. And that's the bottom line.

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I completely understand the character/scripted parts of "reality" television. That really isn't my issue and easily ignored. My issue with THIS show is that I would consider myself somewhere between a novice and intermediate in regards to prospecting. I should not be able to say at least once per episode "now why in the heck would you do that?" or "well that's not a good idea."

This show is just plain ol' bad but there they are prospecting in Greenland and I have to leave for shift work in 20 minutes, so ultimately they win.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Love it, one microscopic speck o'gold, visible with a loupe and the announcer proclaims- "With this discovery, the team has dicovered the origin of the source gold!"-- My god man this boys are too good! What do you suppose they would charge me to survey our claim?

spummerr

Mar 31, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why don't they just go with todd hoffman and get gold? You get leases handed to you, big weekly pay check, free equipment from sponsers, every week they get gold!
No guts no glory!!

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's too funny the Gilligan's Island Crew sure looked a lot older to me in the 70's lol!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread