Advice needed for hunting in Redding CA and Southern Oregon

AuSomeness

Aug 12, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone,

I'll be on the road soon - in and around the Redding CA area and southern OR. I'm looking for some advice on where I can find a little Au. I've done some preliminary research and I see that Clear Creek and the Trinity River are popular spots. I'm looking for any advice/caveats/tips/warnings that folks in the area can offer. If you'd rather not have something posted publically, feel free to PM me. Obviously, I'm not asking anyone to give up their secret spots. I am looking for somewhere I can go and find even the smallest bit of color without killing myself and my family and having a great time enjoying nature! I'll be contiuing to research. Any replies are appreciated.

Heavy pans,

AuSomeness

Upvote 0
OP
OP
AuSomeness

AuSomeness

Aug 12, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To add a little more to the story... it's worth mentioning that it has been almost 1 year since I caught the fever. I'm hoping to find some actual gold in the wild this time! I should have time to check out a few spots, and with any luck, check out one spot twice :)

OP
OP
AuSomeness

AuSomeness

Aug 12, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ninty-five views and no replies. I'm a little surprised. I thought someone would at least tell me to go pound rocks! :D :D :D

AU_Solitude

Feb 24, 2014
Vacaville CA
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GBII, Geo Picks & Hammers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I haven't ever made it that far north to prospect or I would help you out. If it makes you feel any better I had to find my own spots....takes some time.

KRIKITTS

Sep 19, 2014
STATE OF JEFFERSON
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not familiar w/ Redding but if you get to the Klamath there's all kinds of places, mostly private land, clubs and claims... join GPAA and check them out there stuff along there... when you get to Oregon theres public places w gold all around the I 5 corridor, Myrtle Creek, Cow Creek Rogue and Umpqua etc... towards the coast theres Applegate and the beaches...
Do your homework here with all the info available and find some unclaimed places in those areas... First weekend in June is the New 49'ers outing in Happy Camp if you want to meet some folks to talk with... LDMA at Scott , check out there websites for more specific info...

If your not sure your tresspassing you probably are.
..and no one here will believe you unless you post pics...

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

South Yuba Mining Highbanker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Clear Creek will be your best bet. It's easy to find and easy access plus it has been withdrawn so you won't have to worry about being on someone else's claim. Panning and sluicing are fine nothing motorized. There are several parking areas and trails right off Clear Creek road. What I mostly get there is flood gold off the gravel bars. It's not great but it is pretty consistent. BLM has done a nice job of reclimation, very nice place to go.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
i would poke around some of the creeks north of lakehead too. it will be cooler than redding, its already getting pretty warm. lots of access points, google earth is a good tool to use. dog creek, slate creek where they meet the sacramento river.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
what section of clear creek has been withdrawn? i walked the trail south of the bridge at clear creek rd and there are claim markers, cheaked it on mylandmatters.org and it too shows a claim at the bend of the creek south of the bridge.

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

Primary Interest:
Prospecting
what section of clear creek has been withdrawn? i walked the trail south of the bridge at clear creek rd and there are claim markers, cheaked it on mylandmatters.org and it too shows a claim at the bend of the creek south of the bridge.

I am not sure if it goes clear up to Whiskeytown or not but that whole part along Clear Creek road is withdrawn. The section from Horsetown bridge down to the first major bend to the east is Horsetown preserve. You can barley spit in the water there let alone mine. Yes my land matter shows claims in a couple sections that that the creek goes through but if you look at the qtr sections I believe those are up in the foothills above the creek. If you stop at one of their parking areas BLM has maps of the area.

edit

For some reason I can't get the link to post but google Clear Creek Greenway... it shows you a map

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The area above the bridge is PRIVATE and every square inch below is the PRESERVE--no legal claims EVER. There is 1 legal claim off mule road. You mine wrong and the fines are horrendous. John

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are numerous posts with all the info on land status/maps/rules/regs on this subject under clear creek,whiskeytown and many more in dredging forum,Tnet being a pain today as tried to repost but nuttn' but bs-John

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Several of the existing claims in Whiskeytown were perfected when the withdrawal was made so those claims are still valid. The rec area used to show them on their maps. Not sure if they still do. The whole area around there is a patchwork of private and BLM lands. Turn on the Land Matters "Land Status" map layer to see whats what.

Heavy Pans

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Several of the existing claims in Whiskeytown were perfected when the withdrawal was made so those claims are still valid. The rec area used to show them on their maps. Not sure if they still do. The whole area around there is a patchwork of private and BLM lands. Turn on the Land Matters "Land Status" map layer to see whats what.

Heavy Pans

Thanks Clay I will give that a shot. I have never seen anything about claims in the rec area.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only property within Whiskeytown is PATENTED and thusly private property still. The maps and everything you need is on this forum on the search function and ez to find. John

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully computer gods willing today.....try try and try again-John--unbelievable-downloaded 2 and only thisn' shows-this blows

Attachments

• CLEAR CREEK GREENWAY (2).JPG
    CLEAR CREEK GREENWAY (2).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 136

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread