Casting New Mining Series for Major Network

Mar 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I hope this message finds you well! My name is Colin Sprague and I am a Developing Producer at Original Media Productions/Punchdrunk Development in Los Angeles. We are a multi-media production company behind shows such as Swamp People, Dual Survival, The Pool Master, the LA/NY/Miami Ink Series and award winning movies The Squid and the Whale and Half Nelson.

The reason I'm reaching out to all of you here is that I am in the very early stages of Developing a new mining series for a major television network. I'm trying to find a new way in to the mining space because, quite frankly, I think most mining series on air today follow the same format and ultimately end up relying on manufactured drama instead of portraying mining in an honest and accurate way. The goal is to develop a show that steers away from character drama and focuses more on the explorative, natural, and historical aspects of modern day mining. My hope is to find and cast a small company of prospectors, whether it be a group of friends or family, that are extremely passionate about finding gold and are willing to get into nature to find it.

If this sounds like a project that interests you, you have an idea about new ways into the mining television space, or you know someone who might be a good fit for something like this, please feel free to shoot me an email at [email protected]. I am happy to give more details and talk in depth about the series! In the meantime, feel free to check out Original Media, NYC, Los Angeles to get a sense of who we are and what shows we have produced in the past. I hope you all are well and I look forward to talking with some of you soon!

Wishing all you the best,

Colin Sprague
Associate Producer
Punchdrunk Development -- In association with Original Media
Original Media, NYC, Los Angeles

Upvote 0

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
No thank's..... These reality mining shows have done enough damage already.

Medina Joe

Jul 4, 2014
Medina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Colin Sprague good luck and have fun. It seams like the mainstream, loves to make people who love the outdoor's,(Hunters,Miners,Farmers,Fisherman,Mountain men, Survivalist) ect. Look like fools. Because we live by our rules. I will hunt, I will fish, I will mine, and I will farm. I will teach my children and grand children the same thing. Your mainstream ways on tv are a pure joke of people life's.

Thanks for listening

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Colin
Before you even think about casting miners for another show, how about you educate yourself to the struggles that we miners and outdoor folks face on a daily basis. Everything is not what you see on Gold Rush. Public lands are being gated off to the public. EPA has shut down suction dredge mining in Idaho because they believe if you remove some gravel from the creekbed and dump it right back in the creek, you have added pollution !!! The list goes on and on. How about you visit this link and educate yourself to what is happening in America. Public Land For The People Also, visit American Mining Rights Association
Once you've seen the light, come back here and tell us how you will help us fight for our rights. You really can't expect to just jump in here to get a cast for your show (which will line your pockets) without first paying it forward.

Respectfully
Bob

Aufish

Feb 3, 2015
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would let a camera follow me and the amigos, but there would be no "gold rush stupidity / drama" it's real primitive camping, exploring, and small scale production. My equipment doesn't break down and we don't dig without understanding wtf we are digging into. ONLY because I would want to bring small scale mining to the publics attention, as they don't know it's a real thing that some of us crazy miners do and enjoy... however as stated we are steadily losing our rights as citizens and grounds our taxes pay(ed) for because this is something legislators are able to "sweep under the rug" in the eye of the public. Our season starts mid to late may this year.

I'd suggest you show different crews from different parts of the country, outlining the challenges faced in that particular state / area, with each being a totally different style of operation from the last (hobbyist to the real deals). People want a REAL show with REAL people doing REAL things, not some scripted garbage like "gold rush". You do that... and you'll have a successful show (at least I'd watch it).

Last edited by a moderator:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Mr. Sprague,

It is my hopes that if you cast, film and produce such a Reality Show/Series that you will stay true to your word "of portraying mining in an honest and accurate way"! To not only show real men and women prospecting and mining for Gold but to also show the research, the hard work, the bumps, the bruises, the hardships, the dangers and most of all, what us Gold Prospectors/Miners are up against each and every day to get mostly small amounts of Gold. Show the negative side of what we face against the Environmentalists, Left Wing Politicians, State and Federal Government Agencies and others that restrict the methods of prospecting/mining (i.e. equipment) we use, restrict where we can and can't prospect/mine and even restrict access to legal Gold Claims and areas that are legal to prospecting/mining.

I for one, would love the be part of a Reality Show/Series that truly shows what real Gold Mining is about! However, being retired...on a fixed income, not being a member of the LDMA/GPAA and not having the super Gold producing locations as the folks have out in the West and Northwest in California, Arizona, New Mexico, Idaho and other States including Alaska, it is doubful that my participation and locations would be worth your while or entertaining enough for the viewers. Besides, I have never prospected/mined for Gold out West and would not know where to go or begin without someone advising.

Respectfully,

Frank Ferrell ([email protected] and [email protected])

Last edited:

MadJack_ME

Apr 11, 2013
Maine, mostly
Detector(s) used
Original Gold Bug, Dahlke Dredges, LeTrap Sluice for clean-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colin, I doubt you will be back here but please read & re-read what these gentlemen have posted.

I sent you an email restating some of their concerns and several of my own.

Have crew, will travel! (but not to Greenland)

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello All,

I hope this message finds you well! My name is Colin Sprague and I am a Developing Producer at Original Media Productions/Punchdrunk Development in Los Angeles. We are a multi-media production company behind shows such as Swamp People, Dual Survival, The Pool Master, the LA/NY/Miami Ink Series and award winning movies The Squid and the Whale and Half Nelson.

The reason I'm reaching out to all of you here is that I am in the very early stages of Developing a new mining series for a major television network. I'm trying to find a new way in to the mining space because, quite frankly, I think most mining series on air today follow the same format and ultimately end up relying on manufactured drama instead of portraying mining in an honest and accurate way. The goal is to develop a show that steers away from character drama and focuses more on the explorative, natural, and historical aspects of modern day mining. My hope is to find and cast a small company of prospectors, whether it be a group of friends or family, that are extremely passionate about finding gold and are willing to get into nature to find it.

If this sounds like a project that interests you, you have an idea about new ways into the mining television space, or you know someone who might be a good fit for something like this, please feel free to shoot me an email at [email protected]. I am happy to give more details and talk in depth about the series! In the meantime, feel free to check out Original Media, NYC, Los Angeles to get a sense of who we are and what shows we have produced in the past. I hope you all are well and I look forward to talking with some of you soon!

Colin Sprague
Associate Producer

I wish you the best of luck and look forward to watching your program. It sounds interesting and I bet will be entertaining. Just too old to participate...

azblackbird

Sep 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI Pro, GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
AZ I really liked your video ! Ive watched it several times and it keeps me comeing back!
Glad you enjoy watching them. I sure have a blast making them! Unfortunately, in regards to the OP and his post about wanting to film modern day gold prospectors and their quest for "getting back to nature", they'd have one helluva time trying to keep a camera on me. With the places I go, I'm afraid I'd end up doing more babysitting of the camera and production crews, than I would actually getting any gold prospecting or surveying done. So I guess that counts me out... :dontknow:

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are some good TV shows portraying people undertaking unique tasks and lifestyles. Unfortunately many end up creating drama desired by the producer(s). If I were interested in becoming a part of such a show I would want a contractual agreement that allows me to refrain from "participating in" and/or having my activity portrayed contrary to my approval.

Bejay

Drizzledrone

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
May 4, 2013
Las Vegas and Seattle
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Colin,
Sorry to see such a knee-jerk negative reaction from some. I find your challenge to develop an elevated reality show about mining and prospectors interesting. I agree with Aufish about the regional approach. I think it would be great if you could make it a platform for people who feel that their rights are being infringed upon by unreasonable government restrictions. I would also hope that your show would include the followers of legends, the treasure hunters who study old books and maps looking for clues to the existence of lost mines and buried treasures. There are 313 legends of treasure indexed on the map in the new book from Academia Maps: Lost Treasures of California - Map & Guide(also sold on Amazon). That could translate to 313 episodes.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for at least introducing yourself and telling us what company you work for. Far too many talent scouts come here and wont even divulge who they work for. I echo the sentiments of others here, I hope the program in development shows the truth about miners and not some fake/scripted drama BS. If you want drama, showcase the lies, harassment and backroom deals the greenies use to try to shut down mining in this country.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI attacks or insults will not end well.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brasseagle did you not read my post?

mofugly13

Jan 30, 2015
San Francisco, Ca
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I watch a lot of the 'reality' dramas, such as Gold Rush, Deadliest Catch, Moonshiners, and enjoy them all. I know they are scripted, and I still find them entertaining. I also watch Swamp People and Dual Survival, and really enjoy them as well. It seems like Dual Survival might be a little scripted, but I am hard pressed to make that call about Swamp People. That seems to be a show full of interesting people, and because of that it doesn't seem to require any scripting. Maybe it is, but they do a good job of making it seem like it's not.

Anyway, a show about gold mining with the right interesting people would be great. And I'm not talking about Steve Ridell type of interesting, but rather Troy Landry type interesting. It should include a very experienced prospector, who knows all the ins and outs of finding gold, as well as someone who just did all the homework required to find and stake a claim for the first time, and then goes out to learn the ropes on his own. I recently did this and have yet to mine my claims, I'd love to see someone as they progress through the learning curve.

The only advice I have is, stay away from the idiots, and those who are have a lot of heart but not much brains. And stay away from trainwrecks. I like to see people succeed because they make smart decisions, not fail because they make dumb, hasty knee-jerk decisions.

Good Luck.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello All,

Colin Sprague
Associate Producer

I wish you the best in your endeavor. Try to locate some genuine, experienced prospectors with access to some good ground, and as almost everyone has advised, stay away from the drama and find some other way to engage the audience. If that's not possible, you'll probably not attract what you're looking for and instead you'll attract what all of the other shows already have, scripted drama.

So, if you want a fresh take, be creative and find a productive way to gain a loyal audience through the genuine excitement that comes from the pursuit and the acquisition of the gold.

All the best,

Lanny

Armchair prospector

Jul 31, 2011
Colin, If you want to show people mining, don't let them know your filming as a camera changes how people act. You can find locations in the Sierras where mining takes place and usually find someone panning. sluicing, metal/gold detecting and sniping. Get educated and ask questions of the miners and those in government why dredging is not being allowed?, and why so much land is off limits to mineral discovery?

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some scenes have to be contrived.....different angle shots. Such as hunting game animals etc. There are two shows that I enjoy watching: "Life Below Zero" and "Alaska: The Last Frontier".... Alaska: The Last Frontier | Discovery. They portray life/activity without going overboard on the drama aspect. The narration/narrator dialogue has a lot to do with it. But we often see such shows start out portraying things without a lot of drama but then they transcend into "soap opera type shows"....IMHO. I then tune them out.

Bejay

BrassEagle

Mar 15, 2009
Grainte Bay
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster/Di
Dear Mr. Colin Sprague If you would like to meet real California gold miners of all types and back ground. Join us for the 2nd Gold Miners Bash 2015 April 10,11,12 in the great out doors of Norther California. This way you could talk to them face to face, in there environment doing what they love to do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread