Spring Break

Sorehands

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all:

I have been forced to take my family and some other kids, for Spring Break (next week) to the Dominican Republic - in Punta Cana.

Has anyone prospected in the DR? From nosing around it looks like there is decent gold but it looks like mostly near Jaracoba (looks like a looooong drive from Punta Cana to Jaracoba...

Someone suggested panning/sluicing the beaches in Punta Cana - near the tidal streams. I suspect that is a really slim chance.

If anyone has been there and has some good ideas, I would love the help?

I am not sure I can sit around in the sun all the time, drinking, and watching scantily-clad women walk-by. I need to crawl around in thorn and snake infested stream-bed and dig like a slave, for a sliver of gold - worth less than the pack of gum I bought at the airport.....

Upvote 0

Armchair prospector

Jul 31, 2011
According to some on here like Hoser prospecting in a different country can be very dangerous. When you are outside this country it is best to stay where it is safe. Many don't like us Yanks'.

OP
OP
S

Sorehands

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A large brimmed hat and great big wrap-around sun-glasses are definitely on the list. I bring a neck-brace as well - since I usually need it by the end of the week.

As for the dangers of going off to pan somewhere Armchair, I could not agree more. Even-though I am fluent in the language and have lived/worked all over Latin-America for 20 years, I know enough to not go without a local (reputable) guide or stay in our cushy resort property (which is huge and has miles of open undeveloped beaches) and just try panning some of the beach tidal flows. Has anybody ever had much luck ocean panning - I am not even sure if it is worth bothering to do. I have not seen much written about it, except Bearing Sea Gold -which is not really what I had in mind....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread