Prospecting lost gold mine in San Juan Capistrano.

rexy

Banned
Sep 1, 2014
dana point/laguna niguel
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, Ace 250, CEIA CMD PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello prospectors,
I live in Dana Point and I've heard that there is a lost gold mine worked by the Indians and the Spanish 5 miles east or west of the mission. I wanted to know if anyone ever tried gold panning or metal detecting in the area.

A few days ago I went gold panning in the creek of crown valley park(aliso creek), and the creek that goes through Chaparrosa park.

I have gone prospecting in Trabuco creek and Silverado canyon. But has anyone tried anything in Dana point/ Laguna Niguel area?

Upvote 0

Green Pan

May 29, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did anyone ever get to Lucas Canyon? From air photos and DEM's I have found what looks like an audit with small rock dump just outside. It also shows as a depression on the DEM image, about 10 ft across. If it's not man made it is a very unusual geologic feature, and I have my B.S in geology.

It's in an area that has no historical mines, audits, or claims noted on any of the old topos I could find, as well as the BLM LR200 and MRDS database. It is not on the more eastern side of the Canyon where the old audit and claims are.

So if its man made, its not documented and if there was a trail up to it, it doesn't exist anymore. Thinking of hiking in to check it out. Might start a new thread.

Last edited:

Miguel25

Mar 28, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did anyone ever get to Lucas Canyon? From air photos and DEM's I have found what looks like an audit with small rock dump just outside. It also shows as a depression on the DEM image, about 10 ft across. If it's not man made it is a very unusual geologic feature, and I have my B.S in geology.

It's in an area that has no historical mines, audits, or claims noted on any of the old topos I could find, as well as the BLM LR200 and MRDS database. It is not on the more eastern side of the Canyon where the old audit and claims are.

So if its man made, its not documented and if there was a trail up to it, it doesn't exist anymore. Thinking of hiking in to check it out. Might start a new thread.
These are all interesting leads into that part of town. I am in San Diego so I can meet up to go explore. Let me know who is interested and what leads or stories you have to see if I have any info on them.
Miguel.

South O.C. Digs

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are all interesting leads into that part of town. I am in San Diego so I can meet up to go explore. Let me know who is interested and what leads or stories you have to see if I have any info on them.
Miguel.
I'm down to go explore Lucas Canyon and I live in SJC and I have some knowledge and some info on the Canyon.

lrb90740

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2005
Greetings. I have done extensive research in the past (from 2005-2015) about what's being discussed here. Not only research, but dozens of hours of on-site field work as well. Very rough trek in the area. I panned and metal detected but found zero yellow stuff. Oh BTW, No exaggeration, me and my crew ran into a mountain lion that made a blood-curdling growl that freaked us all out. The next few times out there I brought ample "protection" (one for that kind of pnssy). I highly recommend not going out there without safety measures.
I digress...
The last time in the field we came across something that truely was worth the time and effort....however soon after I had to stop the search because of life issues, but have always had the urge to go back someday and finish the quest.
We found an entrance.

Last edited:

cloudswimmer

Oct 22, 2022
Greetings. I have done extensive research in the past (from 2005-2015) about what's being discussed here. Not only research, but dozens of hours of on-site field work as well. Very rough trek in the area. I panned and metal detected but found zero yellow stuff. Oh BTW, No exaggeration, me and my crew ran into a mountain lion that made a blood-curdling growl that freaked us all out. The next few times out there I brought ample "protection" (one for that kind of pnssy). I highly recommend not going out there without safety measures.
I digress...
The last time in the field we came across something that truely was worth the time and effort....however soon after I had to stop the search because of life issues, but have always had the urge to go back someday and finish the quest.
We found an entrance.
Around 1996 when I first got interested in gold prospecting .. and not knowing much .. I panned a few pans of gravel in the San Juan creek around the area to the entrance of Lucas Canyon road .. and found a VERY small amount of flour gold. I took it down to Wayne Leicht at Kristalle in Laguna Beach (the specimen gold guy) and he confirmed it was gold. I never pursued the area any further as right after that I bought my White’s Gold Master detector and did the Randsburg/El Paso range thing, then went and stayed with family up north in the Auburn area and did the hydraulic pit detecting thing. Now that I’m older and house bound due to high gas prices and a broken down Jeep I’m researching S. Cal. areas again including the San Mateo wilderness .. mostly just for history and education. It would be cool to hear some more input in this thread.

Chris

AndysGold949

Tenderfoot
Dec 13, 2022
Laguna Niguel, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan
Greetings All,

Has anyone been out exploring in that area recently? Wondering if there is any good spots to pan along the highway.
Have recently taken to gold prospecting and wanted to go somewhere local. reading all the stories is very exciting lots of very interesting history on the canyon near san juan capi.

Hope to hear from you all!

AndysGold949

Tenderfoot
Dec 13, 2022
Laguna Niguel, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan
I digress...
We found an entrance.
How far in did you go?

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How far in did you go?
Dig out your old topos! Search through the area in a direct line between the Los Pinos boys detention camp & the fire station. Lots of Spanish & Mexican activity in that small area. Be prepared to do some scrambling. Best advice I / anyone can givevyou is to brush up on your trail sign & monuments you'll be amazed what you've walked past without knowing. Back to the old maps, coming up from the freeway go past the fourth bridge. Facing Elsinore to your right there was a lot of work going on.

A lot of researchers completely miss the fact there was a lot of shipping going on from Dana Point way before the harbor came to be. The old old maps showed the rancho behind where the harbor is now. Draw a line from there to about midway up the Ortega Hwy. See any (3) paths or routes to Dana Point? There ya go! Lots of activities from the hills down to the rancho then to ships. If you study cow hides were shipped from Dana Point, so if you look for that you'll stumble on other more interesting activity on that area (Dana Point to inland of Capistrano mission) probably more than you can cover in a lifetime.

Last edited:

South O.C. Digs

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings All,

Has anyone been out exploring in that area recently? Wondering if there is any good spots to pan along the highway.
Have recently taken to gold prospecting and wanted to go somewhere local. reading all the stories is very exciting lots of very interesting history on the canyon near san juan capi.

Hope to hear from you all!
I'm interested and I live in SJC and I'm familiar with these stories and history in this town.

Green Pan

May 29, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone ever go up there recently? Curious what was found, some commenters mentioned they found some interesting stuff up in there.

Garypederson

Aug 4, 2020
Payson, Az, Avila beach, Ca, Naples, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher gold bug & Whites Spectra 3vi & Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spent a lot of time in dana point building condos. Had 50 acres at the top of 74 , Ortega hwy, just before it peaks and before the jump off spot for the hang gliders. Sold it to the inventor of the skateboard. He had a sherman tank and wanted a place to roam. roamed up and down the terrain with same. One giant caution. There are many many rattlesnakes up there so wear shin guards. Happy hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread