Prospecting lost gold mine in San Juan Capistrano.

rexy

Banned
Sep 1, 2014
dana point/laguna niguel
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, Ace 250, CEIA CMD PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello prospectors,
I live in Dana Point and I've heard that there is a lost gold mine worked by the Indians and the Spanish 5 miles east or west of the mission. I wanted to know if anyone ever tried gold panning or metal detecting in the area.

A few days ago I went gold panning in the creek of crown valley park(aliso creek), and the creek that goes through Chaparrosa park.

I have gone prospecting in Trabuco creek and Silverado canyon. But has anyone tried anything in Dana point/ Laguna Niguel area?

Upvote 0

funnie17

Apr 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rexy,
Would love to help hunt this down for you, if you have any other info. please forward.
I have researched the area a bit, not much in O.C. recorded history for AU.
A location you did not mention, loosely fits the possible vicinity you mentioned ,is the Lucas Canyon Mine (Lucas Canyon is off of Ortega Hwy.); however, I believe this mine was open pit and placer high up the side of the canyon.

motel6.5

Mar 27, 2012
Nevada,Calif.,Utah,Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a old story that Indians who worked with the early Church at ST Jaun Cap., buried some valuable church relics made of Silver and Gold, somewhere above the Mission in the mountains. But as you can see its over-bilt with homes.
Another story I heard is that some modern hikers years ago fell into a room filled with Spanish artifacts dureing a rainstorm. Lots of story imformation, actual facts are more difficult to obtain.

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im with ya, been thinking the same thing. Problem is the terrain is very difficult and may be on private land " No Tresspassing " is posted most of the way down Ortega Hwy. The creek though Caspers will be a good start AFTER we get signifigant rainfall.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rexy,

The mine is supposed to be a silver mine. Nobody has ever (to my knowledge) found the mine (if it ever existed).

Mike

arthos

Jun 16, 2017
Suprise, AZ
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Gold Trap; Explorer. Garrett Gold Pans. Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So has anyone done any prospecting in Lucas canyon, Aliso Canyon? OR any of the canyons off highway 74 between San Juan and Elsinore? I notice there is a active placer claim that has been up-kept just north of that canyon near the fire station for the last couple years.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is in my back yard. I hang with some pretty salty old residents and I have not heard of any Au stories. i know guys that find tons of Indian relics but no Au. Has anyone been to the mission cemetery? It is just across the 5fwy east on ortega. You have to drive into the gas station and make a hard right straight up the hill. No-one really knows its there. I was thinking about obtaining permission to MD that site as I know persons of interest at the mission. Very cool stuff.

Garrote Gold

May 25, 2017
southern mines area mother load
Detector(s) used
AT gold,
Bazooka,
any gold pan will do
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
more gold was found north of san Fernando Mission on the roots of wild onion.....but if you really want my secrets, you need to read the spanish diaries in the archives at san fernando and Santa Barbara Mission.

There are a few creeks east of San Diego where they found flood gold too.

The missions buried their bells and metal because Pirate Captain Buchard was pillaging the coast under argentina flag, and took over the Capital (monterey) for 2 years!
In santa cruz they buried their relics but the town homesteaders dug it up and stole it instead of the pirates!

The real gold story is San Miguel where the keepers family murdered and his supposed treasure place of his mother load nuggets was never revealed.

What about the survivors of the Donnor party buffet? Some made their way to San Juan Bautista mission and the son in the Breen family, their bible is on display at the mission- went back to the sierra and found 10k worth of gold and bought a building next to the mission....there are many many mission stories and gold......

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go up Ortega Highway to where the old hot springs are / were. Now find the fire station from the fire station go up the hwy 3 miles (if memory serves me) look around the valleys on the North side of the road. There are numerous Spanish markers (look for a chair)in the area. Hint #2 research the story about the school teacher that was murdered and the killer kept her finger bones on his belt & ate her heart. Where she was buried ( pics were in the O.C. Register) will put you in a good area. Know this as fact, we got chased out of the area by O.C. Sheriffs as we were dry washing. Not going to put your finger on the X but if you're seriously looking, you should be able to find this with little effort.

arthos

Jun 16, 2017
Suprise, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Go up Ortega Highway to where the old hot springs are / were. Now find the fire station from the fire station go up the hwy 3 miles (if memory serves me) look around the valleys on the North side of the road. There are numerous Spanish markers (look for a chair)in the area. Hint #2 research the story about the school teacher that was murdered and the killer kept her finger bones on his belt & ate her heart. Where she was buried ( pics were in the O.C. Register) will put you in a good area. Know this as fact, we got chased out of the area by O.C. Sheriffs as we were dry washing. Not going to put your finger on the X but if you're seriously looking, you should be able to find this with little effort.

3 miles from the OC fire station would put you near the candy store. I have seen a portal down near the bottom of the ravine, I believe its the remains of the Joker Catherine Prospect from (1938). As well as other signs of old workings on the hill above it.

I found something on the story you are referring to, though couldn't find a location in relation to the san Juan creek ...http://murderpedia.org/male.B/b/baker-stanley-dean.htm /shudder if that's the one that is.

Last edited:

arthos

Jun 16, 2017
Suprise, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I recently found this piece of equipment up the side of one of the hills along Ortega Highway past the Fire station, before the Cement bridge, north side of the highway. Along with some drill holes near a small quartz seam and evidence of old diggings. (20th century)
20180330_174619.jpg 20180330_174628.jpg

949Aerial

Feb 8, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Feb. 2020 - Hey everybody, I've been spending a good amount of time tracking down local [potential] spots for treasure. Mainly in the SJC area between Marbella and Lucas Canyon off Ortega. I usually bring my drone, which has a 3-4 mile range and shoots in 4K, makes it easier to have a more..versatile..set of eyes on a much larger target area. If anybody has any ideas, or wants to utilize my "all-seeing eyes in the sky", message me! Always looking for additional intel from both a prospecting as well as a historical side. Worst case, we both meet a fellow OC treasure hunter and have some fun reconnoitering a few cool spots..best case, we potentially retire a bit early!

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Feb. 2020 - Hey everybody, I've been spending a good amount of time tracking down local [potential] spots for treasure. Mainly in the SJC area between Marbella and Lucas Canyon off Ortega. I usually bring my drone, which has a 3-4 mile range and shoots in 4K, makes it easier to have a more..versatile..set of eyes on a much larger target area. If anybody has any ideas, or wants to utilize my "all-seeing eyes in the sky", message me! Always looking for additional intel from both a prospecting as well as a historical side. Worst case, we both meet a fellow OC treasure hunter and have some fun reconnoitering a few cool spots..best case, we potentially retire a bit early!

I wish a had a long range drone like that. Would be good to look for selenite deposits here in Utah.

archeryhunter

Feb 14, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been way back into Lucas Canyon off trail and there are some interesting finds

I am not going to say how I have access. However I do have access off of private land, 5 miles deep into cleveland forest. Very near Lucas Canyon trail. This would be about 7 miles in from the Candy store trail head down into the canyon. I have explored many of these areas and seen some really cool areas. I am more of a hiker and just now getting into gold searching. I would be willing to take you back in there and see what we can find.

There are some very cool looking old river beds of stone waterfalls. No water, just this lava type rock that cascades down about 1oo yards. there is sand before it and after. I thought about panning in some of this area, maybe taking a MD out there.

My name is chris. if you want to email me at [email protected]

South O.C. Digs

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Chris I'm interested in going into Lucas Canyon. I live in San Juan Capistrano so I'm close . Hope to hear from you soon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread