Wetsuit Advice

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm interested in getting in the water and doing some sniping this spring. My work offers us points with which we can buy items offered on a rewards site. I found a wetsuit but it is short legged and short sleeved and states because of the short legs and sleeves you will have an increased range of motion. Would this work for sniping? Or without the full leg or arm sleeves will i get too cold?
ZA245374[2].jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SchoolOfHardRocks

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
We spend roughly 1000 - 1500 hours a year underwater, and do so throughout the year and varying temps.
Yes... it is sometimes snowing a bit and sometimes in the 90's.
We generally rely on 7mm full wetsuits.

Helpful Points.......
- It's MUCH better to complain about being too warm. Buy one that is over rated for the task at hand.
- If you get too warm in the summer, just open it up and let water cool you down.
- Wetsuits should fit you fairly snug. If you have AIR GAPS... in your suit they will turn into WATER gaps and the EXCHANGE of cool water
for body heated water makes you cold.
- Never dive without knee pads. it's a killer on suits and you can buy them at Lowes or Home Depot cheap.
- Buy fairly cheap wetsuits, you're WORKING underwater and you will wear them out 10 times faster than a recreational scuba diver.
- Buy a wetsuit hanger / dryer. They need to air dry quickly or they will stink and build up bacteria quickly.
- Always wear a warm hood. Your head needs the warmth more than just about anything and will make you come out of the water quickly.
- Always wear some form of undergarment under your suit. We usually wear slip suits made for this, but cold gear products for athletes work well.
Easier to remove and put on the suit and keeps nasty rashes away.
- ALWAYS shower well after diving with hot soapy water. Bacteria is a huge problem if not handled correctly.
- RESEARCH treatments and daily care for EAR ISSUES. it's a rather long and in-depth issue you need to read about.
We found that earplugs are not the solution.

Hope that helps.
Doc

Great advice, thanks! I just went back out to the river yesterday. Regardless of my eagerness to snipe, I made the decision to sluice yesterday using the logic that I'll wait for the river levels to drop a little more and meanwhile get to sluicing for a couple weeks. Well, when i arrived to my diggings i found that my sluice has been taken :dontknow: :BangHead:, I guess that's the reality of stashing things on the river. Lesson learned!
I spent the rest of the day locating some potential sniping locations and will be hopping in the water on Sunday!

hey_ad_man

Mar 23, 2015
Northern California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Received via usps my wetsuit (7mm) and gear (socks, hood, gloves). First time wearing a suit and BOY! I don't know which is more tough, putting on or taking off?! Haha! Losing 10/15 lbs would probably help!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Received via usps my wetsuit (7mm) and gear (socks, hood, gloves). First time wearing a suit and BOY! I don't know which is more tough, putting on or taking off?! Haha! Losing 10/15 lbs would probably help!
If you use a little talc powder it is easier to put on.....

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a good idea to get some ear drops and apply when your done at the end of the day. The issue is that the bacteria and micro organisms in the water will cause painful ear infections. Even in some really clear moving water you still run the risk and the ear drops will help prevent this.

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somebody mention about earring plugs not the solution... do you get water in your ear or is it the sound? Sorry, don't understand.

They can actually cause inflammation and irritation.
Just Google "preventing divers ear" and there are some good articles.
We use drops every day.

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It should have come with a Jane Fonda work out DVD. If not email them and ask why not.
:)

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good one , I think my wetsuit shrunk from last summer ha ha especially around the waist

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Commercial ear drops contain glycerine that perevent ears from drying out and maintaining their proper ph. Ear/nose /throat doc said over 30 years ago 1/2 white vinegar and 1/2 rubbing alcohol kills creek crud,dries ear out and maintains ph. 1,000s use it,full time miners especially,and good to go as no infections nevermore ever-John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread