The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 14" Pan, Garrett 15" Super Sluice Pan, Bazooka 36" Sniper,
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If anyone is near the Sacramento area it would be a good thing to get troops on the ground and actually have a miner's voice (or at least ears) at something like this.

2-day conference on abandoned gold mines set April 20-21 in Sacramento | TheUnion.com

"A statewide conference this month will devote two days to the topic of contamination and physical hazards left by abandoned gold mines.

“Reclaiming the Sierra 2015: The New Gold Rush,” will be held April 20-21 at California State University in Sacramento. Many prominent environmental, nonprofit and governmental leaders are expected to attend. For information, see Reclaiming the Sierra.

A special feature of the conference will be a talk-show-styled opening event on April 20. The event, dubbed “The Tonight Show: Legacy Mining, California and the World,” will be hosted by Elizabeth “Izzy” Martin, CEO of The Sierra Fund, conference sponsor.

The panelists will be: Greg Valerio, an international fair trade and fair mined gold activist from London; Fran Spivy-Weber, a member of the State Water Resources Control Board; and Mark Nechodom, director of the California Department of Conservation.

The “talk show,” which will be preceded by a reception, will run 5:30-8:30 p.m., at the University Union Ballroom III, California State University Sacramento, 6000 J St., Sacramento, CA 95819 (map and directions available at: Reclaiming the Sierra » Venue and Travel Information).

Admission is included with conference registration, and is also available as a separate admission to the public. See the conference website to purchase tickets for the event.

The rest of the conference will include four “tracks.”

Those are:

— Prioritization of remediation efforts

— Best available techniques

— Multiple benefits

— Policy and coordination

“Local land use authorities, such as counties and water districts, are burdened by abandoned mine lands, which hinder smart growth and contaminate local streams and rivers,” said Amber Taxiera, outreach and events manager for The Sierra Fund. “Development of standardized protocols for assessing mine-scarred lands and their discharges will enable local land use authorities to prioritize abandoned mine lands in their jurisdictions.”

In Nevada County, almost a half-dozen abandoned mines issues have made the news in recent months — including Empire Mine, Blue Lead Mine, San Juan Mine and Banner Lava Cap Mine.

In Grass Valley, The Sierra Fund and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency recently held a workshop to discuss reclaiming abandoned mine land — so-called “brownfields — within city limits.

“Due to the absence of a regulatory mechanism for legacy mine reclamation, approximately 47,000 abandoned mines exist in California today, all of which present potential physical hazards and approximately 10 percent of which present chemical hazards,” Taxiera said. “Thus far, reclamation of legacy mines has only occurred for those with the mostly highly visible impacts on the environment and public health.”

Cost to attend the two-day event ranges from $149 for the conference only to $298 for the conference, meals, evening keynote program and a tour of various sites April 20. To attend the tour only costs $149.

To register, see: Reclaiming the Sierra » Registration.

To contact Staff Writer Keri Brenner, email [email protected] or call 530-477-4239."

Upvote 0

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Would be a powerful statement if only for a brief moment if 25-50 trucks with dredges strapped on top circled the venue and caravanned along with the riding tours, with 4' x 8' signs reading;
"Out of work Miner, will suction dredge gold for food and Mercury for free!"
"My dredge has recovered more Mercury in one weekend than the Sierra Fund has in 6yrs!"
"This dredge cost $5000 and is 98% efficient, Yours cost $9 million and isn't even in the ballpark"
"4 out of 5 bought and payed for "official" scientists are bound to agree- enjoy their speeches tonight"
"Former CDF&W, Salmon Spawning Habitat Enhancment Tool available for immediate rehire"
"Enjoy your dinner, your dining with the newest, largest, and least experienced mining consortium in the Great State of California!"
"Taxpayers are going to pay the Sierra Fund $7000/oz. for Mercury that can be bought online for $40! What are we going to pay them per ounce for their GOLD?"

I'd suggest taking a page from their playbook and not say a dang thing or engage them in any way. Let the numbers, and signs do the talking. Anybody up for a little civil disobedience and defiance (nod and wink to HJ for the inspiration)?

Last edited:

yodi

Mar 24, 2015
NE Washington
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master / Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would go but I avoid the green tree hugging evil that is California at all cost.

IdahoGoldGettR

Mar 13, 2014
Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Would be a powerful statement if only for a brief moment if 25-50 trucks with dredges strapped on top circled the venue and caravanned along with the riding tours, with 4' x 8' signs

If I lived out that way I'd certainly attend. I'd also see if I could find an 18 wheeler club that could contribute several hours worth of their time (call it a donation) to a mining org. and rally with the these signs and dredges. Bigger trucks might mean a bigger statement. Just a thought.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread