Middle fork of the feather river below nelson creek

northern_sierras

May 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm curious, has anyone been down in this area before (feather river below nelson creek)? Its designated a wilderness area so no mining claims are allowed and no engines are allowed, only sluice boxes and basic hand equipment. From the looks of it on google earth, this is an EXTREMELY remote area, and you would have to take a white water type boat to get very far down in there. I've gotten some really good gold throughout the middle fork, so im guessing the wilderness section would have some amazing gold.

I'm planning on doing a couple week trip in this wilderness area, and just looking for any input from people who may know the area or any input on what equipment you guys would recommend for a backpacking/float prospecting trip for this type of area?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

northern_sierras

May 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Locals don't like people prospecting that area. Saw some cut tires and a smashed windshield on some guys car. I went somewhere else.

When and where did you see this? I live about 5 miles away from that area and do a lot of wondering around. Its the mexicans you have to worry about from my experience. I saw a group of five just the other day in some pretty remote spots on the feather. Looked like they were carrying heavy packs. I always make sure im heavily armed and take at least two of my doberman pinschers with me when i go down there.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heavy paks=pot growers hauling in massive amounts of supplies for yet another season of robbing and raping the forests. You smell'm before you see'm as they kill every kinda critter to eat, bm/pee by camp and rotting garbage is their sign...sic sic sic-John

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Haulin in fertilizer for their ragweed and rat poison for the deer and other pot munchen critters- probably didn't get the invite to SYRCL's workshop on responsible illegal pot growing. That's ok they mean well, their just uninformed disinfranchised medicine growers. Maybe SYRCL should start an outreach program as well and go out into the field and really help the guerilla community and lend a hand- F'ers anyhow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chewyspark

Greenie
Oct 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys

Very new to this magnificent world of prospecting but very intrigued.

I apologize if I posted this in the wrong section.

I'm taking 4 days off in the coming weeks and was looking into panning the middle fork feather river.
I've done some research but I've found some contridicting info out and was hoping domeone could clarify.
From my understanding, a lot of the middle fork is classified as a wildness area and therefore cannot be claimed but mined. On the other hand, I've read the complete opposite saying that there's claims up n down the river.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Good luck out there!!

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My claim is on a trib to the middle fork. It's outside of the "Wild and Scenic" area. Inside and on the river itself, you CAN stake a claim. However there is no use of motorized equipment. access is very limited from the La Porte bridge to Little Grass Valley Reserviour (sp). There is a trail near the Belfrin mine, but it's a tough hike. Also there is a 4WD trail from the Clairmont side but it's at your own risk. Use extreme care and caution.

Chewyspark

Greenie
Oct 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What if one wanted to hike in and pan some Gold. Is there there known areas that are not claimed?

Thank you for your response.

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of available river, but access to 90% is the issue. The other 10%, you guessed it. This is not a river for the novice at mining or hiking. Trails can be 1000 feet of sheer cliff. Don't take anything you can't afford to leave behind. Don't go alone, and have satellite emergency call enabled of your phone. Make sure at least three people not traveling with you know exactly where you are going, and give them a contact time that they know you're on time or should call Plumas County Sheriff.

Chewyspark

Greenie
Oct 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay wow. Thanks.

I've heard the terrain in treacherous but not sheer cliffs.

I found a website, my land matters, that compiles maps of claims and it showed none on the middle fork of feather river( why I initially chose this place) but I saw videos that showed that the river was claimed in a lot of areas.
Can you guys point me in the right direction as far to what chunks of the river aren't claimed? I initially had the Nelson creek area in mind.

Thanks any ways appreciate all the info

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mylandmatters.org is your FIRST BEST place to go. Congrats on finding it!

Chewyspark

Greenie
Oct 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could say I got the fever bad. I've been researching a lot and there's a lot of contradicting info on the net. And with a lot of the maps being outdated, its been confusing finding a definitive place to go

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Chewy you might want to subdue the fever in a spot a little less demanding until you get more experience. It's not 1849 so we already missed the rush. Gold fever can make you do stupid things so take your time, Stay Safe and Good Luck. You will get your share.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you want to stay in roughly the same area, give the BLM Rec area at Butte Creek a go. There is a relatively remote campground and a few miles of trails along the river. No claims to worry about and excellent gold to be found. Don't let it's proximity to Chico and Paradise fool you, it is a very rugged canyon. You can call or go to the Redding BLM office for more info. Don't quote me on this ya need to make sure for yourself, but from what I understand they are not enforcing the daily permit for sluices,hands, and pans.

RiskySelfie

Feb 2, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, uh—Anyone want to go to the middle fork feather? I am in my prime, well physically that is. I am up for a long hike and multi day trip to find some good gold on the river with hand tools on and around bedrock. I'm not sure any of my buddies are up for this much of a hike and what not, but I am. Who is with me? I scoped out a crossing where the pacific crest trail crosses the river, there seems to be some nice looking bedrock outcroppings immediately down stream from that point. I am open to planning a trip this summer or next. Hiking only no rafting.

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish you the Best Trip and safe, I used to dredge on the feather river forks, found lots of nuggets, since you can not dredge , interest is pretty much gone, the old way of taking out a gravel bar line with a shovel also is in my Past.

We used to go sniping then chopper in a dredge or mules to carry in equipment, the fun days like that are over I suppose.

RiskySelfie

Feb 2, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Goldfinger. The fun is not yet over! I found a .6 gram nugget on the Yuba. Besides, I hear they might lift the dredging ban in CA next year. Rumors from the river banks!

Edit: Hey while I have your attention. I am pretty new to prospecting. The whole claim system is confusing to me. I have been looking up claims on mylandmatters finding gold bearing waterways and then looking for areas close by that are open that I can access. It's hard to find spots because all the good accessible spots are claimed. The one and only time I went into the claim office they gave me really confusing advice. They told me to go prospect wherever , once I find some gold, then go back to the office and check to see if it's claimed. That seemed backwards to me, wouldn't I want to find an open place first then look for gold? How do experienced prospectors such as yourself find a place to prospect? I'm not opposed to doing research but I'm not sure I am going about it the right way.

Last edited:

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Goldfinger. The fun is not yet over! I found a .6 gram nugget on the Yuba. Besides, I hear they might lift the dredging ban in CA next year. Rumors from the river banks!

Edit: Hey while I have your attention. I am pretty new to prospecting. The whole claim system is confusing to me. I have been looking up claims on mylandmatters finding gold bearing waterways and then looking for areas close by that are open that I can access. It's hard to find spots because all the good accessible spots are claimed. The one and only time I went into the claim office they gave me really confusing advice. They told me to go prospect wherever , once I find some gold, then go back to the office and check to see if it's claimed. That seemed backwards to me, wouldn't I want to find an open place first then look for gold? How do experienced prospectors such as yourself find a place to prospect? I'm not opposed to doing research but I'm not sure I am going about it the right way.

First, fingers on the keyboard. Find your areas of interest then visit the county recorder office. Look up those areas you're interested in. If there's gold, and river or creek, and a road, odds are good it's claimed but you won't know until you look at the claim's maps. Take a topo map of the area with you to the recorder's office so you can transfer what you see there to your own map. Then if warranted, put your feet on the ground and go prospect in the areas you've determined have no claims. You can pass through a claim to get to an unclaimed area, just don't prospect as you go. When you'se sure you've exited an existing claim and on unclaimed land, get out the shovel and pan.

If you get some gold and the values are worth more prospecting, then erect a discovery monument. Once you've determined the value is worth the investment, then mark it on your map, note the location of your monument, stake your claim corners, then return to the recorder office and file a Notice of Location. After that, shell out the big bucks to file with BLM.
There ya go in a nutshell. There's more but you'll figure that all out as you go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread