goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey guys, I thought I'd start this thread for all of you that like me, get tired of the same ol same ol things for dinner when your out in the field mining. Living and cooking out of cans and or the cooler gets old after an extended stay in the field so something that's easy to fix, tasty and filling it great to have.

Spices are easy to carry even if you don't have the super deluxe mining trailer like me and they can really improve the taste of some of the "food" available in cans. One of my favourite things to eat while I'm out in the field is Black Beans. Plain BBs are pretty dull fare, but a couple of good shakes of garlic powder, a couple of shakes of cumin and some dried onions added to them really improve the flavor. Adding in a can of precooked chicken or some salsa is also good.

So... post up your favorite field recipes. Just make sure that they are things that can be made with a minimum of kitchen utensils as most miners try to travel light and don't happen to have a deep fryer handy.

Upvote 0

azblackbird

Sep 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI Pro, GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That is cool, but man are they proud of that puppy, $4k by the time you pay tax and shipping. And I complain about the price of MTN House stuff phew!
I love the Mt. House stuff. Once or twice a year we'll get together and do a group buy and get the products for wholesale. For as much as I eat my own stash, it's not worth it for me (at least yet) to purchase a freeze drier. I have an Excaliber dehydrator and I probably make a couple hundred pounds of beef jerky and dried fruit each year. The store bought stuff can't even come close.

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
LOL. As I first read that I half expected to see quart jar of moonshine ducky.
I wouldn't mind living off the land but out here it's not all that easy. Not much of a hunter except when it comes to gold and the closest fishing I know of is the Colorado river which is miles away. Hunting and fishing would also take time away from digging.

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hell, nothing wrong with a little white lightning to go with the prospectin' . This here is Georgia!

socalal99

Jan 26, 2013
So Cal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If the weather is cool and I have a fire, then sausages cooked over the fire with a toad sticker is very easy.

Warmer weather, good ole Dinty Moore Beef Stew or Denison's Chili, with beans of course!

Wash down with a nice cold beer!

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run with the Mountain House freeze dried. But cans of Cambells soup or others cooked on the dashboard work too.

There's a mamma bear with two cubs in my area, and I don't like the idea of adding lots of food smells. I'd like to keep it at just 3 sets of tracks on the beach.

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lately Ive been prepping some Italian sausage and peepers and onions wrapped up good in foil then frozen the night before, throw that on the fire the first night for a nice meal. Then its mostly freeze dried meals which aren't that bad, pouch tuna and ritz crackers, pound of pasta and a can of pasta sauce goes a long way.. Also lots of snickers bars for energy breaks! Use to be hot dogs and beans most of the time. Bring a mesh bag and zip lock bags and you can keep a stuff cool for a few days in a river shady spot. Heres one of our meals being made in the "kitchen" lol.

20151114_175559.jpg

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Now THERE ^ is some useful information! Thanks for the links JZ! I should have thought about the scouting sites myself. Guess the grey matter is getting as dusty as the Arizona desert.

Please keep in mind here folks that my intent with this thread was for us to be able to add some different things to the diet/menu when we're out in the rough for EXTENDED PERIODS of time and when the nearest store to get ice at is hours away. Most of us "Lone Rangers" can get pretty sick of having the same old thing night after night.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread