Fairbanks or bust!!!

ProspectorALEX

Apr 14, 2013
Clam Gulch, AK
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT E-series
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello everyone, sorry for not posting for awhile. So my dad has had a busy schedule lately. He has been in the field training soldiers and we haven't got out at all this year. Our family has got orders to go to Fairbanks Alaska in July, and we were wondering if anyone has a dredge that's for sale. We are going to try to sell our keene drywasher to help get some of the money for the dredge. Does anyone here live in or around Fairbanks? We would like to link up with some people so when we get there they could help us get started or pointed in the right direction. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou

ProspectorALEX

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Congratulations Alex, You are going to a goldminers paradise. When ya all get back we'll be asking and learning from you! I too lived in Fbks - Ft. Wainwright back in the early 80's- awesome awesome place. I'm excited for you, I attribute the majority of the direction and decisions i've made with my life to what I learned and experienced in AK. If you are there long enough and want to make a career of mining the Univ. of AK Fbks as well as Tanana Community College have some of the best courses around. Funny- when my step dad got the orders we were moving he had a choice- Alaska, Hawaii, or Germany. My brother and I danced around the house "WoooHooooo! Surfs Up!" Dad quickly burst our bubble with- are you crazy we aren't going to a tiny Island for 3 years. "Oh, okay wooo hooo legal beer at 15 from a soda machine!" Sorry boys not a chance, were moving to Alaska. "What, no way, well freeze, we can't go there, we want to stay at Grandma's, you guys go." Best move dad ever made, after our three years he ended up retiring from the Army and we moved out to the bush in western AK. Nope wouldn't trade my time up there for nothing. Keep us posted and send lots of pics. PS. Wainwright was a former Russian base before AK became a part of the US. When I was there, there was a cool tunnel system that went all over post. We used to ride our bikes, play Army, and generally get in a lot of trouble being where we weren't supposed to, I imagine they are pretty well locked up now. Also if you end up living on North Post you'll be able to fish and prospect within walking distance of your house.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very nice! Enjoy!

OP
OP
ProspectorALEX

ProspectorALEX

Apr 14, 2013
Clam Gulch, AK
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT E-series
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fowledup,
Thank you for the information. I hope that the prospecting and fishing are still as easy to get to and do as they were in the 80's. Are the fishing and gold panning in a creek, lake, river, ect? I hope we end up on the north post and get to fish and pan. Thank you!

ProspectorALEX

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Alex- Its the Chena river, which runs through Fairbanks, not sure that you'd get a lot out of it, better gold out of town, but fun to play in none the less.

Apr 17, 2013
Alex your parents are more excited then you! Although the desert has been fun prospecting it has been rough and almost fruitless besides the time spent prospecting with you.

OP
OP
ProspectorALEX

ProspectorALEX

Apr 14, 2013
Clam Gulch, AK
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT E-series
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello everyone! Sorry for not posting for a long time. My iPod was too old to support treasure net and I couldn't figure out the pc version. So, we got to Alaska on the first of October and got a house on base on the tenth or eleventh. We stayed at a hotel while waiting for a house and met a few miners who were working a claim somewhere by chicken gold camp. After we talked with them, they invited us to come out by them for a week to ten days in July to work their claim with them. I'm not sure if we will be able to go out with them but I hope we will. The winter was a mild one and we tried to enjoy it. One time that I went sledding, I broke my right arm but now it is better. Two weeks ago, we went to nome creek and only got two small flakes. On Mother's Day, my mom wanted to go to Felix Pedro's gold discovery. We didn't get anything but some other guy did.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad to hear you've made it up there Alex! This is going to be something that will teach you lots of good things! Take every advantage of it that ya can because you never know when or if you'll be able to return.

OP
OP
ProspectorALEX

ProspectorALEX

Apr 14, 2013
Clam Gulch, AK
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT E-series
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This Saturday, my dad and I are going out for the day to look for morel mushrooms and maybe fish if we have the time. At the Felix Pedro monument, the guy who was there said he found a 25$ piece.:icon_scratch: I'm going to have to go back there with the detector some time. Maybe I'll get lucky and find something...

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Alex take a lot of pictures of your adventure............... these will be memories in the making for you and your father . PLUS we would like to see them also!

OP
OP
ProspectorALEX

ProspectorALEX

Apr 14, 2013
Clam Gulch, AK
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT E-series
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This Saturday, my dad and I are going out for the day to look for morel mushrooms and maybe fish if we have the time. At the Felix Pedro monument, the guy who was there said he found a 25$ piece.:icon_scratch: I'm going to have to go back there with the detector some time. Maybe I'll get lucky and find something...
My dad just found out he has to work on Saturday and said we would go out on Monday instead. Also, he said this would mainly be a prospecting trip instead of a mushroom hunting/ fishing trip. I will try to remember take some pictures and I will post them whenever I get a chance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread