https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borax_method - Interesting

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup, works even better if you add a little silica sand too. Also, preheat the borax then add to the gold. Borax has water in it so it can pop like popcorn when initially heating...and throw your gold out of the crucible :(

When cooled, the borax/silica will have absorbed impurities from the molten gold and will shatter easily off the gold. (Wear safety glasses)

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
This was pretty interesting, so I looked on Youtube to see if there were videos on this subject. This looks like the Filipino video OP watched.

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I did a good bit of blacksmithing in my teen years. in modern blacksmithing Borax is used to remove the oxygen and some impurities to allow for what is called Forge Welding (binding metal together using a forge instead of a welder). Using this method i made tomahawks. knifes, Damascus steel etc.

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
I like this. These methods are very under utilized!
As old and simple as melting metal is very few people have done it!
I got my start tossing empty cans into a 55 gallon steel drum.
We would make bum fires all winter and toss our cans in well, the can. After several hundred cans over the course of the winter we had a 20lb block of MESS!
This we remelt and get hot, about 1500 degrees. The bars we poured were so cool.
But we didnt sell any to dumb friends as silver... As easy and dumb as some of my friends are lol!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1429137858.248488.jpg

SierraMadre

Mar 29, 2015
Tex
Detector(s) used
Mine.lab
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
All gold smelters use borax and have for years. Has nothing to do with using or not using mercury

AuSomeness

Aug 12, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love this kind of stuff and wish I had more space to try out making metal bars. Good thread!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread