Interesting call with Forest service.

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, in doing my due diligence, I called my local forest service to get latest info on an area I want to explore.
The Angeles forest had the major Station fire back in 2009, and apparently many areas are still closed for rehab.

But the area I want to check out is not closed. fine.

The scary part was all the questions I was getting asked as far as what I was planning on doing in the area. I made no reference as to what I REALLY wanted to do, only that I wanted to go hike the canyon, and the lady on the phone, although nice, just kept trying to come up with reasons why I should not go up there.

"What are you going to do up there" she asks.
"oh just hike and take pictures" I say.
"are you a professional photographer?"
"no"
"because if you are and you're going to publish the photos in any way - you need a permit"
"nope not a professional"
"when are you going" she asked
"I don't have a set date yet, just doing my home work on the area"
"Well it may be best that you don't go up there cuz it's pretty overgrown. I've been up there"
"and there have been sightings of coyotes and a mountain lion"
"I'm not too worried about them - I'm more concern about other humans" I say
and I'm thinking to myself, if you've been up there, then I can go up there!!

"Are you going for just the day?"
"yes"
"how far do you intend to go?"
"I don't know yet"
"you'll need an adventure pass to park your car"
"Indeed - thank you for that reminder"

Anyway, just seems like she was trying to keep me out no matter what I was doing up there.
Left a bad taste in my mouth.

I fear what she would say if I mentioned I was going to go prospecting!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are 2 passes and I have them both-Access and Golden Access.Info on where to use and how from the back of them.
Golden Access Passport-Issued without charge to any handicapped citizen.Good for up to 6 people in a vehicle.To enter ANY designated entrance fee area of the National Park system administered by the National Park service,National Park Service,DOI or ANY other fee entrance area designation.The permittee is also allowed to any recreational sites,facilities or equipment or services provided at ANY outdoor recreational area EXCEPT private concessionaire which only gives you a 50% discount. Listing on the bottom-BLM,F & W areas,Bureau of Reclaimation,Army Corps,National Park Service,Forest Service and the Tennessee Valley Valley authority Areas.They even provided a nice mirror hanger like a handicapped placard to make it easy to see if your fees are pass-exempted that is.

America the Beautiful-The National Parks and Recreational and Federal Recreation Lands Access Pass- Lifetime Pass for US citizens disabled people,Present in person at Federal recreation entrance or standard amenity fee sites for a single vehicle and occupants. Good at US Fish and Wildlife services,BLM,Forest Service,National Park Service and Bureau of Reclamation lands also. FREE-----God bless America and knowledge-John

Went online to see if there had been any changes in 2015 and viola there is-Golden Age is still free to handicapped but at 62(was 60) plus $10 for life-reminds me of Social Security,every time you get close the move the age up sic sic sic. America Pass-is still free for handicapped BUT $60 for all others-both still lifetime but changes stink. These rules can change anytime so GOOGLE for current costs/restrictions. It's like living on quicksand as everything(especially dredging and highbanking in calif,) in a constant state of flux.

Last edited:

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 14" Pan, Garrett 15" Super Sluice Pan, Bazooka 36" Sniper,
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Try downloading the Master Title Plat (MTP) for your area of interest. The MTP is the government's map of all the federal land status (including restrictions) in that 36 square mile Township. The map will graphically show you where the areas that have restrictions are.

You can download that California Land Status Map with the MTPs from the Land Matters Land Status Maps page.

Heavy Pans

Still trying to figure out how to decode those things.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread