Families Evicted, Homes Burned to the Ground by USFS

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
the gutless people of the usfs and the blm ought to be treated as environmental terriorsts and be brought to court either kicking or screaming and then delt with! im really surprised there wasn't violence involved with their underhanded dealings! this ISNT the first time they've used this cowardly act towards Americans! and "our" gubermint sits and watchs these artrosites against Americans and DONT DO SQWAT ABOUT IT! if it were up to me , thwere would be want adds all over REPLACEING these terriorists while they were in jail awaiting their day in court! and they want us tobe civil???????????????????

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Homesteading: Land from the U.S. Government — Then & Now

Original Homesteading: Getting "Free" Land from the U.S. Government

I remember hearing the stories of how my grandfather was able to acquire some "free" land through homesteading. In those days the U.S. government was interested in transferring land from the public domain to private ownership. Several Homestead Acts were passed in the 1800's. By far, the most famous dated from 1862. My grandfather got in on the last decades of the program, in the early part of the Twentieth Century.
Generally, the required procedures for homesteading a parcel of public land included:

1. To build a house on a parcel of unclaimed land, usually not exceeding 160-acres (although the size changed depending on the individual's marriage status and time-period the homesteading occurred);

2. To determine and describe the land's boundaries;

3. To live on the land for a prescribed length of time;

4. To pay the applicable fees; and

5. To record the Homestead with the applicable Government Land Office.

Where are the public lands made available?

The great majority of all public lands available today are in the Western States of Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, and Wyoming. There are also small sections in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Illinois, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Mississippi, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Washington, and Wisconsin.

There are no public lands managed by the BLM in Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Hawaii, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Is any of this land available free to the public for homesteading?

No. Congress has repealed the Homestead Act.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
All of the Acts enabling self initiated patents were repealed in the 1976 Federal Land Policy Management Act of 1976 - except mineral patents. :thumbsup:

If you want one of those you had better get busy finding and perfecting a valuable mineral claim.

Heavy Pans

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread