Prospecting in Idaho

shackelford

Apr 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone,

I've been interesting in mining since I was a kid and finally want to jump into it. There is a spot I've thought for years would be great, but it is slightly complicated (I think). It is in a national forest and within a mile or less of a wilderness area boundary and also a fairly popular stopping point for hikers. A number of hiking guide books list it as a destination. Would its popularity make it difficult for me to get a claim approved? Due to its remoteness, I would only be able to use a sluice box; would I need to get any funky permits as well for remediation or stream impact?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Upvote 0

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Id you don't need a permit to sluice . Dredge and highbank you do. Unless the EPA once again rears it's ugly head.

OP
OP
S

shackelford

Apr 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is there a limit on how much material i move before i do?

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is the area already claimed?

If it is claimed you can't pan or prospect at all. You can check on the areas land status and existing claims files at Land Matters Mining Claims Maps. Just click on the map for Idaho and zoom in to your area of interest. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
After you visit Land Matters, skip on over to the IDWR website.

On the second page, notice 'Non-Powered Mining Equipment' paragraph.

Non-Powered Mining Equipment Any equipment used to alter a stream channel that is operated by
human strength is considered non-powered mining equipment. This includes non-powered sluices,
pans, rockers, suction devices, and similar hand tools, etc., used to extract, collect, process, or
concentrate stream bed materials that rely on human strength. When non-powered equipment is
operated in a manner that exceeds the minimum standards for non-powered operations established
by IDAPA 37.03.07 Rule 64 you must obtain a stream channel alteration permit (LETTER PERMIT
on “open” streams; or Joint Application for Permits on all other streams)
Notice the word 'exceeds'.
Now head on over to IDAPA 37.03.07 and scroll down to page 17 to learn how NOT to exceed.

No permits required. Since you'll only be using tools powered by human strength, this is also considered 'Causal Use' by BLM and USFS so absolutely no need to notify them of your plans. Stay off other's claims and fill your holes-good to go!
Bob

OP
OP
S

shackelford

Apr 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After you visit Land Matters, skip on over to the IDWR website.

On the second page, notice 'Non-Powered Mining Equipment' paragraph.

Non-Powered Mining Equipment Any equipment used to alter a stream channel that is operated by
human strength is considered non-powered mining equipment. This includes non-powered sluices,
pans, rockers, suction devices, and similar hand tools, etc., used to extract, collect, process, or
concentrate stream bed materials that rely on human strength. When non-powered equipment is
operated in a manner that exceeds the minimum standards for non-powered operations established
by IDAPA 37.03.07 Rule 64 you must obtain a stream channel alteration permit (LETTER PERMIT
on “open” streams; or Joint Application for Permits on all other streams)
Notice the word 'exceeds'.
Now head on over to IDAPA 37.03.07 and scroll down to page 17 to learn how NOT to exceed.

No permits required. Since you'll only be using tools powered by human strength, this is also considered 'Causal Use' by BLM and USFS so absolutely no need to notify them of your plans. Stay off other's claims and fill your holes-good to go!
Bob

The stream i'm looking at is about 5ft wide. How can I work with the buffer zone rule?
"Buffer Zone. A buffer zone of undisturbed streambed material at least five (5) feet in width or as
otherwise specified by the Director shall be maintained between the work area and the existing stream. The applicant
shall exercise reasonable precautions to ensure that turbidity is kept to a minimum and does not exceed state water
quality standards."

Also the material I would be working is the gravels within the stream that is surrounded by bedrock. Wouldn't that be breaking the removal below water surface rule? Or is it OK because it is going right back into the stream?
"Removal Below Water Surface. Sand and gravel must not be removed below the water surface
existing at the time of the work. Where work involves clearing a new channel for flow, removal of material below
water level will be permitted to allow this flow to occur; however, this must not be done until all other work in the
new channel has been completed."

OP
OP
S

shackelford

Apr 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the area already claimed?

If it is claimed you can't pan or prospect at all. You can check on the areas land status and existing claims files at Land Matters Mining Claims Maps. Just click on the map for Idaho and zoom in to your area of interest. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

It is claim free. The area does have some old large mines, but this particular spot was left alone, my guess is because you can't get any machinery in. At least that is what i'm telling myself.

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Rule 64 ONLY. The rest of IDAPA 37.03.07 does not apply to you unless you've been hired to install culverts & bridges, dikes, levees & jetties or installing riprap. Again, RULE 64 ONLY.
Don't make it more difficult than it is.

Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread