identifying claims using geocommunicator.gov

steveh2112

Apr 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i am not at all clear on how to identify if someone has a claim on some land. can someone help me please.

for example, i'm looking here GeoCommunicator at here Latitude/Longitude=39.802462; -121.252787

when i click on identify and look at PLSS (whatever that is) i see there is a 'Mining Claim Authorizations Cases' so i click on that and i get some claims
https://www.blm.gov/workspace/ihtml...00-a09e-0a780c38&DocVersion=1&isSmartcut=true

so there is one authorized claim in that area but i have no idea what to make of that data.

any ideas anyone?

thx steve

Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The other answer to your question about what other prospectors do: they/we are guests on someone else's land. Land owned by cities, counties, states, private people or claims owned by others where we have an invite. A surprising number of places with decent gold are open to casual use but aren't open to claiming. I'm planning to write a book about this in a couple years...covering such places in Colorado.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
so what if you do find yourself on someones claim but no one is around so you don't know. then the owner shows up. what could happen?

are you saying everyone goes into the county recorders office before prospecting? that sounds like a very time consuming process.

it has been stated over and over by informed individuals and the law. it is our responsibility to find out if the area we intend to prospect is open to do so.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
certain public ownerships of land are withdrawn, taking away the guesswork. other areas well know to the local public are also open. heres one tidbit. campgrounds generally are withdrawn, so if you paid money to camp at a public area that has a creek running through the campground, that campground is most likely withdrawn. withdrawn meaning you legally cannot claim it. prospecting is no different from hunting or fishing, many people joke that you have to be a lawyer to understand fish and game code. if you dont research the rules, it may cost you a lot of money!

http://www.blm.gov/or/programs/minerals/files/how-stake-claim.pdf

"Much of the Federal public lands are open to mineral entry meaning a claim can be staked on them.
Wilderness areas, wild portions of Wild and Scenic Rivers, National Monuments, National Parks, and
campgrounds are generally withdrawn from mineral entry meaning claims cannot be filed or staked on
them. Information regarding minerals is available online at: http://www.blm.gov/or/programs/minerals/."

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not all campgrounds are open to prospecting. Campgrounds are only free of claims if there were none there when the campground was withdrawn.

A good example is Mineral Bar on the North Fork of the American River. That campground sits on a claim from 1960, the campground came long after the claim was made. The claim has superior rights to the campground. If you prospect on Mineral Bar you are trespassing on the Eileen claim.

You really do need to check the land status wherever you wish to prospect. There are claims in the Auburn State Rec Area as well as many other places people assume are open to prospecting.

Please respect our fellow miner's claims wherever they are located. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not all campgrounds are open to prospecting. Campgrounds are only free of claims if there were none there when the campground was withdrawn.

A good example is Mineral Bar on the North Fork of the American River. That campground sits on a claim from 1960, the campground came long after the claim was made. The claim has superior rights to the campground. If you prospect on Mineral Bar you are trespassing on the Eileen claim.

You really do need to check the land status wherever you wish to prospect. There are claims in the Auburn State Rec Area as well as many other places people assume are open to prospecting.

Please respect our fellow miner's claims wherever they are located. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Thus the need for the book I plan to write :)

SurgTech57

Mar 15, 2014
South Bend
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800, and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Though I'm a water detecter I found the information on the video highly informative. Thank you for posting it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread