every run into problems with weed growers, CA gold country?

steveh2112

Apr 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i'm on another forum, cheaprvliving.com since i'm planning to spend a few months living in my van in gold country, van camping on national forest land. a couple of members on there have pointed out that local weed growers often shoot first, ask questions later when defending their stash (by defending, i mean going anywhere near it). any one have problems in CA gold country like that?

Upvote 0

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Most of the comments in this thread are based on fear of something they know nothing about. Especially the fool from Missouri.... Anybody living in such a filthy, disgusting part of the country has no voice on the weed in the west. If you guys had any idea how much was already being grown you'd realize the paradigm shift is already in our favor.

Sincerely,
Every day pot smoker, business owner, outdoor enthusiast & most importantly, gold miner![/QUOTE] FOOL???????????? well as ole tod would say ,"go frig yourself!" looks like the mod needs to boot you BEFORE war breaks out!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SLUICE PERMIT???????? someone is getting scammed....I crawl into some very remote and un trodden areas ALONE......I worry more about getting hurt in a fall or having my truck broken or gone when I get back.
CLAY -VERIFIABLE good one.:laughing7: I have come across the black pipe and never followed it. I have come across one grow it was on a claim near Grizzly flat we were leasing. The owner had said don't dredge here where the two creeks join. I was out exploring while my partner dredged. I saw the water bottles first...then looked up and noticed a pretty good sized plant. I backed up and noticed all the scrawny little ones...in the shade in August...should have been much bigger... I think the claim owner was new at it.... I was in the area where the two creeks join!
There is a show on locally called Sheriffs of El Dorado County. There is a segment that starts with a Sheriff Deputy talking about road closures being a very bad thing. That the hunters, Loggers and public out there are the best way to keep the forests secure. They go on to film a big grow. They were Mexican which makes sense cause, it is legal to grow here and there are a lot of smart young and well paid white dudes doing right down the road from all of us that live in the foothills.... ALL OF US. And good for them they drop demand for the Mexican ditchweed!!!
Anyways after the bust... when they were hualing out bundles with the chopper....the camera man was panning the terrain and the LZ I was blown away as I instantly recognized the area and was floored at how close it was to my house...and a GPAA claim.
Go into the forest be alert, be as prepared as you can in the way that makes you feel comfortable...If you have to back away and disappear... but, please report it. Look out for out of place people and vehicles....Don't allow PUBLIC SAFETY be a reason to keep us out!

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"It's a wonderful day in the neighborhood" Mr. Rodgers

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang Russ, it didn't take him long to descend into name calling.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The original poster simply asked if anyone had any dealings with pot grows and was I assume looking for advice on how best to handle the ILLEGAL marijuana grows in our forests should he come across one when he visits. He wasn't asking anyones opinion on the Marijuana issue. Clay,what I said was indeed based on real life, real world experience as a former fire fighter and being a resident who deals with it as an annual occurance in my community. It's common sense for those of us that live in the middle of it. June thru Oct. there are places you simply just don't go, below my house is one, years ago I was far more cocky and had a different view, I'm wiser now. In general I don't fear them as they don't want to draw attention to themselves, but for that very same reason I damned sure get a healthy dose of fear when I stumble on a grow. As far as black pipe and booby traps, come hike the canyon below me you'll find miles of it, and you can ask the resident deputy his experiences with booby trapped patches, although in all fairness like the rat poison bricks the bobby traps are supposedly more for the pot eating deer and bear than tresspassing humans, that's more of an urban legend thats been left to flourish. Everyone in the community knows who the local growers "on the hill" are, our town is only a few hundred people. The ones in the canyon are not the growers who live up here year round. The ones growing below us don't go down the mountain to shop "in town" they send someone that speaks english to the one little store we have if they need something. I could give two pinches if someone smokes, grows, or is a buisness owner, isn't my concern, only thing I care about is when it effects me and what I can and can't do, which is a whole nuther topic. Hope the original poster has a good trip, his stuff gets left alone, and he finds a ton of Gold!

CApicker

Nov 3, 2013
West Sacramento, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never seen anything like that. Heck now a days you can grow right in your house or yard and I will bet that les large scale ops will be seen as time goes. I'd be more afraid of the rattle snakes and mountain lions.

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cant imagine mountain lions, I hear they stalk a lot of people

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep...
And if they decriminalized it... the demand would go down...
No more crazy money to be made at "all cost" do or die...
No more idiots looking for a quick buck...
And no more tearing up the forest to grow it.

Go figure.
Hmmm should have thought of that long ago... huh ? :)

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truth be known...
We can blame the laws against it... for the contributions to our forests destruction...
Those laws created a "way to get rich" from a plant that grows freely and readily.
The laws suppress a product that is in massive demand and used worldwide for ailments and treatments for everything from depression to menstrual cramps...
From epilepsy... to cancer.
All because the "others" that stood to make money pushing the products that would stand alone after this "competition" was "eradicated".
Too bad that "plan" never fully can happen.
Pretty hard to eradicate something that can be grown by anyone... anywhere.
IT is a loose loose situation...
And our forests are now the "front line" for this farce or a non winnable war.
Laws created that "monster of a mess" by increasing the price... from near free... to "lots of money to be made".
Which in turn... is turning our natural resources into trash fields... and battle fields.

It is time... to stop the madness.
Reformation of the laws is the only "answer" to freedom from the "dog chasing its tail approach" in my opinion.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
but it does affect u fowledup, it affects all of us. even those who dont recreate in the forest. the poison leaching into our waterways, the poaching of animals, the millions of pounds of garbage and fertilizer left behind. its not our neighbors growing in their back yard, its the people growing thousands of plants in the forest. yes he only suggested what to do if a grow is encountered, go back the way you came in, and yes, there has been people shot and killed just by accidentally bumping into a grower. it is very rare, but it has happened recently. its is a sensitive subject to all of us who love the outdoors. it did start getting pretty far off topic when the name calling commenced. :icon_scratch:

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
and yes, there has been people shot and killed just by accidentally bumping into a grower. it is very rare, but it has happened recently.

Now you've got my interest beekbuster. Can you give a link to anyone being shot and killed? I haven't been able to find any killings related to people happening upon a grow anywhere ever.

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's one, they weren't killed but it sounds like they would have been had they been caught. Campers Stumble on $26 Million in Marijuana Plants Makes one wonder how often that really occurs. Kinda doubt the cartel folk bring the victims bodies back to town so the sheriffs know theres been a murder and have something to start their investigation with. How many victims you suppose are simply listed as missing persons? Probably none, just paranoid, after all you never read about them shooting and killing each other, huh?

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's one, they weren't killed but it sounds like they would have been had they been caught. Campers Stumble on $26 Million in Marijuana Plants Makes one wonder how often that really occurs. Kinda doubt the cartel folk bring the victims bodies back to town so the sheriffs know theres been a murder and have something to start their investigation with. How many victims you suppose are simply listed as missing persons? Probably none, just paranoid, after all you never read about them shooting and killing each other, huh?

Wow! Thanks for the link from noozhawk. $26 Million? $2000 dollars a plant in the ground in April? You California folks are sure proud of your pot! Do you smoke the roots and the dirt too?

It's pretty evident the folks at the grow site weren't qualified to injure passersby. Good thing they called their boss - or did they? It sounds like the potential murdered campers might have had an auto accident with all that panicked driving around though.

I hope I never get pulled over. I'm sure my hunting rifle will also be proof I intended to kill someone I didn't even know.

I'm guessing all those missing people we don't know about were killed by Mexican cartel growers or mountain lions or deer.

Let's see... In the last 100 years in the United States:

0 people killed stumbling upon Mexican Cartel growers.

9 people killed by mountain lions.

15,000 people killed by deer.

3.2 people million killed by automobile.

I'm watching out for deer driving cars - I'll let you worry about the Mexican Cartels. :laughing7:

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For you Clay

image-111907862.jpg

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the picture okbasspro

707Dut

Mar 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And no we don't smoke the dirt and the roots but the cops sure do like to weigh it

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
From your article:

Not to say there aren't criminals at work growing marijuana in California. But these,
the Times reported, are "independent groups of Mexican nationals, often using
undocumented fieldworkers from their home groups."

Yep, independent groups of Mexican Nationals growing for the Cartels.
And if not for Cartels, then they are still illegal aliens coming in and trashing
our National forests for their personal gain. Motivation is irrelevant.

And no we don't smoke the dirt and the roots but the cops sure do like to weigh it

You don't smoke the stem or fan leaves either, and they get weighed.

Growers who stay within the law won't have this
problem. Move to a state that has legalized (like Ore.) and
you can grow your own, unhindered by law enforcement.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions