every run into problems with weed growers, CA gold country?

steveh2112

Apr 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i'm on another forum, cheaprvliving.com since i'm planning to spend a few months living in my van in gold country, van camping on national forest land. a couple of members on there have pointed out that local weed growers often shoot first, ask questions later when defending their stash (by defending, i mean going anywhere near it). any one have problems in CA gold country like that?

Upvote 0

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Best answer to all this is legalization so those who want it can conveniently grow it at home next to their tomatoes instead of hiding it out in the woods next to our mining sites :)

I'm all for it, but there is one problem with that as we are seeing in places where it is legal. 8 out of 10 folks, just as they do with their tomatoes would rather buy it or can't, or won't grow it. Which brings us to the current dilemma that many of us are living and calnatv showed us. Greedy aholes are coming into the foothill "neighborhoods" and communties buying up the available realestate, clear cutting the trees, erecting bamboo and cedar dogged ear fences, and stinking up the area and screwing up the property values of their neighbors. Ask folks who can't sell there property even tho it's a "buyers market" because of the new "landscaping" covering the "neighbors" property. I'm literally surrounded by it on all sides. I live right close to the canyon edge so wind can be an issue. Because of the clear cutting by my "neighbors" we have lost most all of our Cedars trees. They can't handle the winter wind without the windbreak effect that the Ponderosa pine and Doug Fir used to provide. During big wind events they're snapping off about 20-30' up. I won't even go into the smell, other than to say it's a kin to the Coalinga stock yards in August. Problem two, we now have a new style of "migrant farm worker" ie trimmers and patch tenders. In our community we have a new addition, a large tent city of sorts comprised of all the garden workers from last year that either didn't make enough to move on or decided they liked the place, who knows. I didn't think they'd make it thru the winter but we didn't have much for snow this year so here they are and back to work in the local grows. I feel sorry for all the folks living across the road from them. I'm sure they are all all big fans of drumming circles and for sure know all the words to "One Love" by now. Not to mention the lack of running water or bathroom facilities, bet that's smelling good. Problem three- Kids in rural foothill communities have done the math and realize that they can make far more living "free" and growing pot than they ever will learning a trade or continuing their education. Don't worry about medical care they can get O'care? Problem four- the large number of truck and transfers loaded with topsoil, the water tenders, and fertilizer delivery trucks far exede the number of logging trucks that used to drive our narrow highway. How many of these grow ops are paying taxes to repair the roadways? It's not a simple issue to say the least. As I've said before I'm not anti marijuana, but I was a lot more for it before all this BS, there was a lot less hypocrisy. Ya all can stand up for it and preach about the injustices and it's undeniable value whatever, others can continue to make light of it, whatever, come live it and see how long it takes before your viewpoint changes. Funny that most don't recognize the negative effects, and consequences it's had legal or illegal on mining or public land access. Ask a warden what percentage of his job is fish and wildlife related vs. marijuana related, then ask him why that is.
Hang in there Russ this thread will probably last only a month or so!

calnatv

Mar 19, 2011
It's private but with in the forest. Trinity Pines to be exact. It's a subdivision that's off the grid.

calnatv

Mar 19, 2011
I'm all for it, but there is one problem with that as we are seeing in places where it is legal. 8 out of 10 folks, just as they do with their tomatoes would rather buy it or can't, or won't grow it. Which brings us to the current dilemma that many of us are living and calnatv showed us. Greedy aholes are coming into the foothill "neighborhoods" and communties buying up the available realestate, clear cutting the trees, erecting bamboo and cedar dogged ear fences, and stinking up the area and screwing up the property values of their neighbors. Ask folks who can't sell there property even tho it's a "buyers market" because of the new "landscaping" covering the "neighbors" property. I'm literally surrounded by it on all sides. I live right close to the canyon edge so wind can be an issue. Because of the clear cutting by my "neighbors" we have lost most all of our Cedars trees. They can't handle the winter wind without the windbreak effect that the Ponderosa pine and Doug Fir used to provide. During big wind events they're snapping off about 20-30' up. I won't even go into the smell, other than to say it's a kin to the Coalinga stock yards in August. Problem two, we now have a new style of "migrant farm worker" ie trimmers and patch tenders. In our community we have a new addition, a large tent city of sorts comprised of all the garden workers from last year that either didn't make enough to move on or decided they liked the place, who knows. I didn't think they'd make it thru the winter but we didn't have much for snow this year so here they are and back to work in the local grows. I feel sorry for all the folks living across the road from them. I'm sure they are all all big fans of drumming circles and for sure know all the words to "One Love" by now. Not to mention the lack of running water or bathroom facilities, bet that's smelling good. Problem three- Kids in rural foothill communities have done the math and realize that they can make far more living "free" and growing pot than they ever will learning a trade or continuing their education. Don't worry about medical care they can get O'care? Problem four- the large number of truck and transfers loaded with topsoil, the water tenders, and fertilizer delivery trucks far exede the number of logging trucks that used to drive our narrow highway. How many of these grow ops are paying taxes to repair the roadways? It's not a simple issue to say the least. As I've said before I'm not anti marijuana, but I was a lot more for it before all this BS, there was a lot less hypocrisy. Ya all can stand up for it and preach about the injustices and it's undeniable value whatever, others can continue to make light of it, whatever, come live it and see how long it takes before your viewpoint changes. Funny that most don't recognize the negative effects, and consequences it's had legal or illegal on mining or public land access. Ask a warden what percentage of his job is fish and wildlife related vs. marijuana related, then ask him why that is.
Hang in there Russ this thread will probably last only a month or so!

That sums it up!! You nailed it. That's what my etc. etc. meant :)

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The killer bludgeoned the veteran marine to death in his home.
“This was a guy who was just growing his own marijuana,” Marysville police Lt. Jason Garringer said, which McDaniel did legally for his own medicinal use.

it's like Fowledup sayin, your gonna have them who r to lazy to grow thier own, steel from the feilds

OP
OP
S

steveh2112

Apr 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, i started quite a thread here.

on the van living forum i'm on, someone posted this

"
"For the first time in generations, farmers in central Mexico have stopped planting marijuana.

Due to ample supplies up north, courtesy of medical and recreational cannabis legalization, cartel farmers can’t make any money off pot anymore, they told the Washington Post this week. The price for a pound of Mexican marijuana has plummeted 75 percent from $100 per kilogram to less than $25.

"'It’s not worth it anymore,'" said 50 year-old Rodrigo Silla, a lifelong cannabis farmer. He also told the Post he couldn’t remember the last time his family and others stopped growing mota. “'I wish the Americans would stop with this legalization.'”

Grand Closing: America?s Pot Farmers Are Putting Mexican Cartels Out of Business | Legalization Nation | East Bay Express
"

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Again, let's just let folks grow pot next to the tomatoes...problem solved!

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I was talking to a friend from here on the forum last night and was told that in Colorado where it's legal now they sell it by the gram. The state tacks on a $6 per gram tax. By the time it's all said and done, an ounce is going for about $588.00! Out of that about $168.00 is state taxes. So... my thinking here is that if the politicians in California started pushing to make it legal there that given the amount of weed smoked in the state, they could be out of debt within a couple of years and then start building up a reserve of funds to go towards other projects like bullet trains, education etc.

Yes... I'm kidding here folks. It does make one wonder though given the amount of,money spent on the so called war on drugs over the years and the potential revenue that they could make.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was talking to a friend from here on the forum last night and was told that in Colorado where it's legal now they sell it by the gram. The state tacks on a $6 per gram tax. By the time it's all said and done, an ounce is going for about $588.00! Out of that about $168.00 is state taxes. So... my thinking here is that if the politicians in California started pushing to make it legal there that given the amount of weed smoked in the state, they could be out of debt within a couple of years and then start building up a reserve of funds to go towards other projects like bullet trains, education etc.

Yes... I'm kidding here folks. It does make one wonder though given the amount of,money spent on the so called war on drugs over the years and the potential revenue that they could make.

Those numbers aren't right. You can easily get an ounce of quality pot flower for $220 or so. Yes you can spend $55/gram but there's always stuff on sale just like at the liquor store and just like at the liquor store, buying in volume gets you a much better deal...not that I would have a use for an ounce of bud, ijs.

Come see for yourself :-D. Prices below are out the door.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430631106.669452.jpg

All that said, Diz is right about the tax benefits, CO is collecting a lot of $$ and will issue a special tax refund this year due to all those taxes!

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Postus Mountain outta Hayfork now named Pot Mountain as they removed the signs and put up there own sic sic sic-John

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Even with those numbers Kevin, it just goes to show that states could be making money off of it instead of wasting money fighting a "war" that they knew from the start that they couldn't win. If they want to have their war on drugs, concentrate on drugs that are a lot more harmful like meth and some of those prescription drugs that have side effects worse than what they are made to treat.

SierraMadre

Mar 29, 2015
Tex
Detector(s) used
Mine.lab
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Where it's been legalized the prices have not come down so the argument that decriminalizing will reduce the number of growers because of lower prices just doesn't wash. I dare there are many more growers in states that have a tolerant attitude about pot. CA, CO WA for example.
Best way to reduce the price and growers is to reduce demand. A simple canning or ass busting would be very effective for all users. Don't penalize their families by locking them up or fining the crap out of them when they may not have enough money to feed their kids now. Just give them a few strokes of the cane and turn them loose with the promise of more should they do it again. Won't be many repeat offenders

SierraMadre

Mar 29, 2015
Tex
Detector(s) used
Mine.lab
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
But I guess it's OK to smack a kid up side his head on national TV for rioting but cruel and unusual to give a spanking with a doctor present

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But I guess it's OK to smack a kid up side his head on national TV for rioting but cruel and unusual to give a spanking with a doctor present
Really?????? A Beating? for smoking some weed...in a country rife with crazy legal pills and like 2 zillion breweries...The notion that the people who smoke pot are the problem is ridiculous.

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Alcohol has ruined many more lives and families than pot ever will...

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Even with those numbers Kevin, it just goes to show that states could be making money off of it instead of wasting money fighting a "war" that they knew from the start that they couldn't win. If they want to have their war on drugs, concentrate on drugs that are a lot more harmful like meth and some of those prescription drugs that have side effects worse than what they are made to treat.
Oh we quite agree! Sorry if I gave the wrong impression :)
[
QUOTE=SierraMadre;4509145]Where it's been legalized the prices have not come down so the argument that decriminalizing will reduce the number of growers because of lower prices just doesn't wash. I dare there are many more growers in states that have a tolerant attitude about pot. CA, CO WA for example.
Best way to reduce the price and growers is to reduce demand. A simple canning or ass busting would be very effective for all users. Don't penalize their families by locking them up or fining the crap out of them when they may not have enough money to feed their kids now. Just give them a few strokes of the cane and turn them loose with the promise of more should they do it again. Won't be many repeat offenders[/QUOTE]

Untrue on your first point. The price in CO has dropped quite a bit in the first 16 months of retail and I expect it to drop further. We now have the largest legal grow (ware)house in the world...economies of scale will also reduce prices.

A reduction in demand might help but so does legalization since it eliminates some of the costs of production and distribution.

Caning would do nothing to change behavior, that's just absurd. Violence in punishment just teaching sneaking around and violence in response.

I think we are getting way off topic here and need to wrap this us soon.

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah you can smell a grow.We cut them down every couple of years when they are on our property. One year we cut down a lot! I do not care if you grow it or smoke it just don't do it on me or its toast. It is the # 1 crop here. I can not imagine California and the drought. The growers here are scared of the locals not the other way around.
If I was in Cali and came upon a cartel grow I would back off and call it in and guide them right in to it . Push them off my gold creeks :thumbsup: Get your pot some where else .
Oh yeah the name calling stops and post are getting ready to be deleted.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah you can smell a grow.We cut them down every couple of years when they are on our property. One year we cut down a lot! I do not care if you grow it or smoke it just don't do it on me or its toast. It is the # 1 crop here. I can not imagine California and the drought. The growers here are scared of the locals not the other way around.
If I was in Cali and came upon a cartel grow I would back off and call it in and guide them right in to it . Push them off my gold creeks :thumbsup: Get your pot some where else .
Oh yeah the name calling stops and post are getting ready to be deleted.
Call me TnM next time you need help destroying the field, I will burn it a little at a time...😁

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please keep political statements out of thread...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread