All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
You better just get a GPS...... A cell gps is not going to cut it in the back country when you are without service.

OP
OP
S

steveh2112

Apr 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i mean offline gps program like BackCountry Navigator TOPO GPS

Maitland

Mar 15, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Detector(s) used
White's Silver Eagle, Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wish I could add something relevant here, but I too have been trying to find an app where maps can be downloaded to the device's storage or to an SD card and used later when no data service (3G/4G) is available. It's been a little while since I looked, but last time I did I wasn't able to find any free apps like this. I suppose I could quit being so cheap and purchase one of the paid apps! I usually have a good idea of where I am going beforehand and sometimes bring paper maps with me, but still, it would be handy to have GPS-enabled maps on-the-fly while out in the woods. Could always call the NSA for your current coordinates, too. :laughing7:

AlaskaGold

Nov 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use Gaia on my phone. Download maps and satellite images before I go so I can use them when I have no service. Not sure if it's for android but I'd check if you have not seen it. I love it.

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a garmin on my bike and I run Backcountry navigator on my phone and I dont even really bother with the garmin anymore mostly.. Backcountry navigator is a fine piece of software, I can put the phone in airplane mode and I can run BCN for 2 days non stop without draining the battery! Its does everything a hand held gps will do and then some, I plot out my targets ahead of time and you can view topo or satellite imagery off sd card, give stats, does live tracking ect. I have sooo many recorded tracks It nice to see where you have been and how long it took ect. Definitely would try BCN!

OP
OP
S

steveh2112

Apr 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a garmin on my bike and I run Backcountry navigator on my phone and I dont even really bother with the garmin anymore mostly.. Backcountry navigator is a fine piece of software, I can put the phone in airplane mode and I can run BCN for 2 days non stop without draining the battery! Its does everything a hand held gps will do and then some, I plot out my targets ahead of time and you can view topo or satellite imagery off sd card, give stats, does live tracking ect. I have sooo many recorded tracks It nice to see where you have been and how long it took ect. Definitely would try BCN!

thanks, i've pretty much come to that conclusion too but good to hear confirmation. so it looks like you can create waypoints at your current location and add notes about what you find, then upload that back to your pc for databasing, right? i want to prospect methodically, build up a map of the areas and types of terrain that's working for me (and what's not working).

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure about connecting with a pc I've never tried that, but it saves everything that you want it to, you can open old tracks and waypoints are always there after you create them, it will give you coordinates of waypoints saved so that's how I trasfer to pc. Also you can create waypoints with coordinates or manually place then on the map with the cursor.

OP
OP
S

steveh2112

Apr 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure about connecting with a pc I've never tried that, but it saves everything that you want it to, you can open old tracks and waypoints are always there after you create them, it will give you coordinates of waypoints saved so that's how I trasfer to pc. Also you can create waypoints with coordinates or manually place then on the map with the cursor.

i looked into it and it stores a GPX or KML file on the sdcard which can be written or read by google earth and manually with notepad so it should be easy to archive data. i don't trust leaving all my good data on phones.

man

Jul 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use android app Treasure Hunter's Software.
App is a multifunctional. It is very comfortable - requires one touch to record findings, its description and photos.
It can export and import data (via .kml), work with online and offline maps, give recommendations for search areas. There are very useful filtering system for visual analisys of findings localization in app.
SOS button for emergency alert and many other functions.

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use US Topo maps app and the GPS that my phone came with. Thing is, you have to open the maps app while you have service, or you won't see the map. If you open the maps and centralize where you'll be, then your GPS will track you while in the map area.

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You better just get a GPS...... A cell gps is not going to cut it in the back country when you are without service.

Actually my cell phone GPS can and does locate me with no service. It triangulates through the satellites and doesn't need the cell service. Maps on the other hand is an issue unless you have saved the maps to your device.

calnatv

Mar 19, 2011
I use US Topo Maps. Like Mike said, just remember to download the Map while you have service. Then put your phone in Airplane mode while on the trail to save on battery life

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions