black sand clean up

M3R1IN

Oct 6, 2006
Alberta, Canada
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, stock and DD coil
I was out prospecting in Montana last weekend
and there was this old guy who just showed up and started sluicing upstream from me a ways
He seemed friendly so i decided to go chat with him
he gave me a lot of useful info and let me pick his brain about the local geography and different techniques
he saw that i had a large amount of black sand and said i should take some nitric acid to that and i would be amazed at how much gold would release from the lot. I explained that i am canadian and that nitric acid and mercury are very difficult to obtain here without a business licence
I am wondering on procedure for cleaning black sands with nitric acid and if anyone knows any industrial applications for nitric acid
whereby i could obtain it with less difficulty?
thanks

Upvote 0

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We don't get much black sand off our claim the river is a different story. On the claim we have A LOT of sulfides....We don't really stock pile it.. if we wanted to we could there are pieces up to like 2-3 mm I'm sure a rod mill would be sweet. I know several guys locally who are converting the sulfides in their hard rock ore using the "patio" method as Chris Ralph suggests...it lets bacteria do the converting then you can leach.... Roasting ores is finicky and ILLEGAL where we live.... and the neighbors wouldn't appreciate the smell.

I heat all the b.s. and quench...if I had a rod mill I would run it through that....then magnetically separate it.....I'm in an area with numerous serpentine intrusions there are pgm's. That is all stockpiled. The non magnetics even though they may, still hold a little value after cooking goes to the garden. Looking at the b.s. through a microscope is cool you can see the small gold crystal attached and encrusted in the pyrites and manganese oxide. When fresh here its reddish pink...once oxidized its black or dark rust red. Nuggets have it on them sometimes and in the quartz when still attached. Heat a chunk of ore with it present...then look at it with a microscope and you can see small beads of gold.....

Mechanically treating or quenching to fracture the grains most definitely liberates gold...and cleans up gold that has oxidized material attached or encapsulating it.

Last edited:

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know, Mercury, acid's, peroxides, sulfides, this stuff is all pretty nasty. I'm no rocket scientist,[even though been called one LOL!] I hope no one is having any kids? I think I'll keep to my adage if I can't see it I don't care about it. Fly poop is close enough for me!

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
The K.I.S.S. methodology is usually the best way for the small scale miners to go. Dig, sluice or dry wash to concentrate your materials, pan out the gold and if you're really REALLY bored and need a mining fix grind/crush and do the "Shake and Bake" on your black sands. (Outside with lots of ventilation while heating of course.) The more involved you get with chemicals, the more chance you have of drawing attention to yourself from our least favorite of those three letter government agencies known as the E.P.A. If they catch you playing with chemicals and doing it wrong (or in some cases without the proper permits) you're in for a HUGE fine as well as possible jail time if they're really feeling froggy. Once they get their claws into you... YOU'RE TOAST!!! Fines form the B.L.M or U.S.F.S. are nothing compared to what the E.P.A. can and will nail you with.

blacksand

Greenie
Sep 15, 2013
Nice, but I really want to know who Wallace J was and his exact formula.Proportion of ingredients equipment.I am looking at technique.Not interested in Blacksand values just yet.

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 10 five gallon buckets of Black sand if anybody would like to buy some,$1.00 a pound plus shipping.All dredge cons panned and spiral wheeled once

Very old thread, but I you still have any black sand, I will buy it. 70 lbs will fit in flat rate shipping box for $15 then, I will give you $70 for the sand as well. Let me know

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very old thread, but I you still have any black sand, I will buy it. 70 lbs will fit in flat rate shipping box for $15 then, I will give you $70 for the sand as well. Let me know

Sounds good, I'm in. I've tested mine and know there's gold in it but I live in an apartment now and don't have space to process stuff like this anymore. PM on the way!

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I recently read that in one of our mining districts, after years of mining, miners figured out that much of their "pesky black sands" was actually gold telluride.
There used to be a 55 gallon drum of black sands along one of our rivers. I think the claim owner filled it up and figured out it was too heavy to move.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread