Prospecting in shale-heavy areas

AuSomeness

Aug 12, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

I have a question about prospecting in shale-heavy areas. Last year, I broke up some shale and panned out what I could find. The water turned a bit gray'ish, and I was concerned that there may be some heavy metals (i.e. mercury) or something else unknown in it. I did find some chunks of shiny material. It makes the 'ca-ting' sound like gold does in a vial. I'll post some pics of this shortly. My questions are:

(1) Are there any dangers prospecting in this type of material (shale or this type of rock, especially in California / the Sierra Nevada / Motherlode)
(2) What might one find in this material? I'm curious about the "metals" I have found, which are reddish in color.

I'll post pics as soon as I can.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I hope you can post the picture soon. It is hard to tell otherwise. Sounds interesting, though.

Some shale locations in Colorado gave very good gold when the shale was basically perpendicular to the flow of the river. It trapped gold and was very rich in Breckenridge. It traps other things, too, but I cannot comment on what you might find in the Sierra Nevada, California area.

OP
OP
AuSomeness

AuSomeness

Aug 12, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've worked material like that and wondered the same thing... :dontknow: It igets very gray and odd. hope to see an answer.

Good to know I'm not alone on this! Okay.. let's see if I can get that photo...

OP
OP
AuSomeness

AuSomeness

Aug 12, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, take a look at these. The material in question is the reddish / shiny stuff. This is after the liquid has settled. I will post a pic of it cloudy as well.

ausomeness-shale-material-01.jpg

ausomeness-shale-material-02.jpg

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Shale its just sediments and clay hardened over time and pressure, up here in Washington State there are places where in-between the layers of slate wire gold is formed, more valuable that a nugget. I have found areas between the layers of shale that is so decomposed that when panned it turns the water in my pan into what looks like mercury, I have found a lot of my larger nuggets cleaning out these decomposed areas along the river.

OP
OP
AuSomeness

AuSomeness

Aug 12, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ed,

Thanks for the reply. Question: why is the wire gold more valuable? I assume it's because of the unique shape.

As for your comment about turning the water to what looks like mercury when panning shale material, this is exactly what I am experiencing. I found the stuff in the photos late last year. I had forgotten all about it until I found more material just like my original batch over the weekend. I panned some tonight and I got the same results: a strange, gray, muddy-looking color when put into water. I've attached a pic of what the water looks like when agitated.

AuSomeness-shale-material.jpg

OP
OP
AuSomeness

AuSomeness

Aug 12, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some decent pictures of the metalic pieces I found. They are fairly square / rectangular (in general). They appear to be not worn, which makes sense, as they were extracted from a host rock/material. There appears to be a variety of material in them or on them. There is black, red, gold, and what looks like mud-colored material present. What do you think?

AuSomeness-mystery-metal01.jpg

AuSomeness-mystery-metal02.jpg

AuSomeness-mystery-metal03.jpg

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pyrite crystals. :)

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are many places in calif where the shale has great gold. Like pages in a book fulla gold.Especially the Merced...John

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shale I believe is just ground down rocks and minerals in to very fine particles then compressed together, not sure,

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Check out " Liberty, Washington wire gold " on the net and YouTube. Potato size nuggets are found there plus crystalline wire gold. You are right, because of it's rarity and growth pattern it is highly prized for specimens and jewelry.

OP
OP
AuSomeness

AuSomeness

Aug 12, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pyrite crystals. :)

I'm not sure about that. I've seen lots of pyrite, but I've been wrong before. Probably the most difficult part for me is that these are not weathered by the environment. I will have to clean one up and test it for brittleness. If it is iron pyrite, from what I've read, I suppose arsenic could be a concern. FUN! lol

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm not sure about that. I've seen lots of pyrite, but I've been wrong before. Probably the most difficult part for me is that these are not weathered by the environment. I will have to clean one up and test it for brittleness. If it is iron pyrite, from what I've read, I suppose arsenic could be a concern. FUN! lol

Arsenic in small quantities is not deadly. The LD50 is 15mg/kg; or if you weight about 200 lbs, the dosage is about 1.4 grams. That is an awful lot to get from working with a small crystal of your material. First, from the sizes in the pictures, it would have to be almost all arsenic and then you would have to eat it (since that is the oral or by mouth dosage). Absorbed through skin is even less toxic (higher LD50--but I cannot find the data).

Last edited:
OP
OP
AuSomeness

AuSomeness

Aug 12, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arsenic in small quantities is not deadly. The LD50 is 15mg/kg; or if you weight about 200 lbs, the dosage is about 1.4 grams. That is an awful lot to get from working with a small crystal of your material. First, from the sizes in the pictures, it would have to be almost all arsenic and then you would have to eat it (since that is the oral or by mouth dosage). Absorbed through skin is even less toxic (higher LD50--but I cannot find the data).

Thanks for the info, GoldpannerDave. I tend to play it safe.

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think the wire gold would be very rare, seems like it would have to be formed in soft rock that disagrades and or buried in soft material to protect it

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the info, GoldpannerDave. I tend to play it safe.

Yes, better safe than sorry. Arsenic certainly can kill, but given all the parameters, I think it is a very small risk for your situation. A group back in Persia about a millennium ago used to eat arsenic to build up an immunity to it; that group has the name that came to be known as the Assassins. Rumor has it that the immunity to arsenic was then used as a tool in assassination. Sort of like "The man in black" and iocaine powder, I suppose.

OP
OP
AuSomeness

AuSomeness

Aug 12, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are many places in calif where the shale has great gold. Like pages in a book fulla gold.Especially the Merced...John

Near the Merced is where this material was found, John. I had to think about it, but this was during one of my first outings. If I remember correctly, I got the idea to look at this type of rock from EagleDown's thread. I'd love to find a "book" like that. I could read all day! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread