whats an average day net a couple of newbees in CA?

steveh2112

Apr 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what's an average day net a couple of newbees in CA?

me an my wife are new to prospecting but i've read a lot and watch a lot of videos so i think i have a good starting point. i'm sure proper sluice and panning technique and finding good locations will take us a bit of time to get dialed in perfect, but we are both very keen to learn.

plus we'll be living in a van on the side of a river so we have 7 days a week, 8 hrs/day (ok, i guess we need to go shopping sometime) but anyhow, a lot of time to put into it.

so assuming we don't completely suck, what realistically could we expect to pull out of CA gold country rivers per day on average?

in weight and/or dollars?

i realize it impossible to say exactly, depends if i find a good spot, know what i'm doing, move a lot of dirt, etc, but what's a ball park figure? $5 a day, $20, $100?

any thoughts please?

thanks

Upvote 0

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can beat yourself up all day and pay for your gas If You Live Nearby. I'm going to guess 1.17 grams

I bet your pretty close Bill...Of flood gold...that's my baseline for the S. fork. You can get a gram a day with what is essentially minimal effort, DIGGING....its the GETTING THERE part8-)
Throwing multi pennyweight days will come down to the prospector more than anything....there is ample gold left to make perseverance pay !

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sell your gold on eBay 45-50 a gram depending on size
Join a mining club that have claims in the area you want to work
make sure you know where your at, get and learn to read maps
dont work on someone elses property with out permision.

northern_sierras

May 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet your pretty close Bill...Of flood gold...that's my baseline for the S. fork. You can get a gram a day with what is essentially minimal effort, DIGGING....its the GETTING THERE part8-)
Throwing multi pennyweight days will come down to the prospector more than anything....there is ample gold left to make perseverance pay !

Can you elaborate on your methods? Do you mainly crevice, sluice or snipe? If you are sluicing, what do you classify the material to and what sluice box do you use?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sniping: use the search function here on tnet to read lots of posts about sniping. It's ( sometimes face down in the water) crack cleaning for gold.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can beat yourself up all day and pay for your gas If You Live Nearby. I'm going to guess 1.17 grams

I would say 1.17 gets the prize.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Another gram or two in the mayo jar, it starts adding up!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread