The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 14" Pan, Garrett 15" Super Sluice Pan, Bazooka 36" Sniper,
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
CDFW to provide $567K to study carbon sequestration, greenhouse gas benefits | TheUnion.com

Apparently this paper loved doing articles almost weekly for SYRCL. I don't understand the whole leave the scorched earth from a high intensity fire because it's beautiful and beneficial to the animals (seriously?) thing but they want to "restore" meadows. Wait, it doesn't say what they will do to improve anything just that they will spends gazillions to sit in a meadow and listen to earth farts and measure the methane output. That's just great.

Anyone have any input on this scheme of love near a "restored" meadow?

Upvote 0

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes we have them here in the east, they are called WATERSHEDS and the provide a measure of natural cleaned water storage and filtration for the many people that have contaminated wells and water supplys, from coal mines , urban sprawl, industries, septic systems and other sources of pollution.

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scam after scam after scam to run biological studies with PRE-DETERMINED RESULTS-- jus' yet another game to close/restrict and skim them benjamins-John

OP
OP
The Gilded Lens

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
yes we have them here in the east, they are called WATERSHEDS and the provide a measure of natural cleaned water storage and filtration for the many people that have contaminated wells and water supplys, from coal mines , urban sprawl, industries, septic systems and other sources of pollution.

Storage? Maybe I'm missing it, but it's a meadow, not a lake or a "clean" swamp? Some might have brooks or streams running through them but I don't see how that holds a significant ware storage, especially in California right now with SoCal's high waster demands. And if they do store water, how is it not already being cleaned naturally by the dirt and vegetation? What are the greenies going to do to improve nature?

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have field , woods hills an valleys that filter and purify runoff and feed small springs , creeks, aqufiers, then into the streams that feed the rivers where many of the towns get their water from. I have a copy of engineering water quality alanysis of the Allegheny, kiski and mongehala and yough rivers from NY to Ohio and WV, done in 1908 have detailed chemical anaylsis from industry and sewage, which surpised me that they had such a detailed analysis of such a rural area in 1908. It is way over 250 miles of territory, You would not believe that was over a hundred years ago, I never would have thought such a engineering breakdown of every little bit of waste and chemicals and minerals and everything in the water along with flow and gallons per minute. I found it shocking for so long ago.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

And none of them last forever. Do you TRULY understand the purpose of a "wetland"?

wetlandformation

And we get hosed for "interfering" with nature's processes?

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And what about the methane that wetlands produce? I thought methane was the world's most powerful greenhouse gas leading to increase warming leading to more methane production?

Wetland methane emissions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Must be nice to get paid to be able to do everything you can to make a "prophecy" self fulfilling.

Ever wonder why more and more educated people are starting to question a lot of things?

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's an interesting fact about methane.

Methane reacts with oxygen in the presence of sunlight to form CO2 and good ole H2O.

So let's see, plants die and decay forming methane. The methane breaks down in the atmosphere to form plant food and water. And the cycle starts all over again.

And people see a problem with methane?

benny

Sep 15, 2012
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't matter what you do as long as you have a good grant writer. That's why they make the big bucks.

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey mad Did you read the article that he was pointing too? your last two post were talked about it in it. anyways I don't think they are worried about money, as they print it everyday

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey mad Did you read the article that he was pointing too? your last two post were talked about it in it. anyways I don't think they are worried about money, as they print it everyday

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

A PROPERLY FUNCTIONING WETLAND DOES NOT STORE METHANE, IT PRODUCES IT. CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW????????

Read the links I posted and you will understand exactly what I am saying. The complete and total lack of any scientific understanding in ALL of the current Fish and Game offices is why we are where we are today.

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So???? it was in the first post, article you must not have read it "Greenhouse gas emissions, specifically of carbon dioxide, nitrous oxide, and methane, are thought to decrease when wet meadows are in functional health." try reading it

Last edited:

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So???? it was in the first post, article you must not have read it "Greenhouse gas emissions, specifically of carbon dioxide, nitrous oxide, and methane, are thought to decrease when wet meadows are in functional health." try reading it

Let's go to school here, junior.

From the links I posted. Wetland methane emissions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As one of the most significant natural sources of atmospheric methane, wetlands remain a major area of concern with respect to climate change. Wetlands are characterized by water-logged soils and distinctive communities of plant and animal species that have evolved and adapted to the constant presence of water. Due to this high level of water saturation as well as warm weather, wetlands are one of the most significant natural sources of atmospheric methane.
Most methanogenesis, or methane production, occurs in oxygen poor environments. Because the microbes that live in warm, moist environments consume oxygen more rapidly than it can diffuse in from the atmosphere, wetlands are the ideal anaerobic, or oxygen poor, environments for fermentation.
Fermentation is a process used by certain kinds of microorganisms to break down essential nutrients. In a process called acetoclastic methanogenesis, microorganisms from the classification domain archaea produce methane by fermenting acetate and H[SUB]2[/SUB]-CO[SUB]2[/SUB] into methane and carbon dioxide.
H[SUB]3[/SUB]C-COOH → CH[SUB]4[/SUB] + CO[SUB]2[/SUB]
Depending on the wetland and type of archaea, hydrogenotrophic methanogenesis, another process that yields methane, can also occur. This process occurs as a result of archaea oxidizing hydrogen with carbon dioxide to yield methane and water.
4H2 + CO[SUB]2[/SUB] → CH[SUB]4[/SUB] + 2H[SUB]2[/SUB]O

You are WAY, WAY out of your league here.

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are out of your mind, you are way off topic of the post, and on a tangent. No need to go to school either already have my sheepskins.

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My point was, even though you don't always understand the justifications for these. After reading this book , "Report on the sanitary survey of the Allegheny River Basin
Cornell University Library and realize the depth of this study 100 years ago in very rural America actually set up todays system here now that we have much much more sprawl. I am not justifying your study there, but I have learned to realize thre are more to know about things than we understand at the time. A interesting point I noticed in the book was how it mentioned how certain settlements or small villages were more likely to get outbreak of typhis, hepititis, cholera and other diseases because they had no industries or coal mines that put all their chemicals and stuff in the river which killed the bacteria in the sewage that also seeped into the rivers. like I said the detailed analysis was remarkable.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You are out of your mind, you are way off topic of the post, and on a tangent. No need to go to school either already have my sheepskins.

Nope, I'm dead on topic. This is nothing more than a scheme, especially when certain people cry that methane from cows and natural gas is increasing global warming yet here they are fighting for something that is one of the largest sources of said gas.

Guess it is only bad if certain people say it is bad.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My point was, even though you don't always understand the justifications for these. After reading this book , "Report on the sanitary survey of the Allegheny River Basin
Cornell University Library and realize the depth of this study 100 years ago in very rural America actually set up todays system here now that we have much much more sprawl. I am not justifying your study there, but I have learned to realize thre are more to know about things than we understand at the time. A interesting point I noticed in the book was how it mentioned how certain settlements or small villages were more likely to get outbreak of typhis, hepititis, cholera and other diseases because they had no industries or coal mines that put all their chemicals and stuff in the river which killed the bacteria in the sewage that also seeped into the rivers. like I said the detailed analysis was remarkable.

I understand just fine. And apparently far more than you do. This is just another case of "it's bad because we say it is bad".

And studies are only as good as the integrity of the person doing them. If they defy common sense then they are basically useless.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a wetlands all right...in my shorts as after reading that eco bs I peed myself laughing so bloody hard :censored: John

OP
OP
The Gilded Lens

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Who he? I am by no means a man.

Last edited:
OP
OP
The Gilded Lens

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What bothers me is that they don't state what they will be doing to these meadows. There is no accountability or transparency. Are they making holding ponds? Are they planting? How do you "improve" or "restore" a meadow? Do they go off of historic images? It's all very clouded... Just like the Dark Side.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions