underwater viewer for sniping

steveh2112

Apr 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what are you using for underwater viewing for sniping? something like this Amazon.com: Aqua scope (yellow) 24 x 21cm SV-00351 (japan import): Toys & Games or maybe a 5 gallon bucket with a plexiglass bottom?

i don't want to get too wet so not interested in mask and snorkel. i was thinking something like that link looks compact enough for backpacking and comfortable around the face, but i was thinking of building something from plexiglass.

any thoughts on design?

thanks

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

steveh2112

Apr 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks but i think i like the look of the one on amazon vs. the 10" x 3" one at gold fever. i think bigger window would be better. not sure though having never used either

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4" black pipe with plexiglass silconed in and good to go. Black pipe limits reflections and easier to use. OR 2" x "2" frame stock with plexiglass 8" x 12" works too. My bud got fancy and used a small bicycle innertube but floats without anyhow. Masks rock much better and with summer coming much more pleasent-John

IdahoGoldGettR

Mar 13, 2014
Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
glass  box1.JPG glass bucket2.JPG

My version of the "box viewer" for which I have come to call it, is simply a pine wood box with 1x5" boards glued to a clear plexy-glass. To keep this 12"x16" box secure and prevent drifting away, rope is threaded through a heavy pipe (any weight will do), with each end tied to eye hooks. I might add here that a weight with a single line to the box works just as well (which is what I now use). A great surface view finder when operating in calm water. The 5 gallon bucket viewer uses the same principle as the "snipe scopes" but is much larger for better viewing of the area you intend to work. I simply place glue and plexy glass on the top side of a 5 gallon bucket and cut out the bottom. Why view through the bottom portion and glue the top? Cutting the bottom perfectly will still have rough edges on it whereas the top is more ideal for a better plexy glass seal. A handle attached to the bucket is not necessary but does offer better viewing with less movement. Of the two mentioned, I prefer the "box viewer" more so than the hand-held bucket method. The plus side of the bucket vs. the box is that I can get closer to the viewing area (by submersing it deeper into the water - avoiding over flow) and it can allow regular cameras to capture great photos without fear of getting the camera wet. Each can have their place on a claim. If snorkels and goggles aren't your thing, then I suggest this alternative route. Cheers - Randy

Bluestar9

Feb 21, 2015
The Great State of Jefferson
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
what are you using for underwater viewing for sniping? something like this Amazon.com: Aqua scope (yellow) 24 x 21cm SV-00351 (japan import): Toys & Games or maybe a 5 gallon bucket with a plexiglass bottom?

i don't want to get too wet so not interested in mask and snorkel. i was thinking something like that link looks compact enough for backpacking and comfortable around the face, but i was thinking of building something from plexiglass.

any thoughts on design?

thanks

If you get this you're going to get wet. :censored:

Like Idaho says: "The plus side of the bucket vs. the box is that I can get closer to the viewing area (by submersing it deeper into the water - avoiding over flow) and it can allow regular cameras to capture great photos without fear of getting the camera wet. Each can have their place on a claim. If snorkels and goggles aren't your thing, then I suggest this alternative route." Cheers - Randy

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will get anyway no way around that one

IdahoGoldGettR

Mar 13, 2014
Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My interpretation to:
i don't want to get too wet so not interested in mask and snorkel.
Simply meant that you wanted another alternative to view your sniping area without diving or putting your head underwater. I could be wrong but that's what I thought you meant by "not getting too wet."

IdahoGoldGettR that box one gives me an idea. something like a plastic washing up type bowl (dish pan in American i guess Rubbermaid 11. 4 Quart Bisque Rectangle Dishpan 2951ARBISQU - Pack of 6 - Walmart.com, i speak English) , cut the bottom out and epoxy glue in a piece of plexiglass.
thx for the idea
Steve, you may give the Rubbermaid tub a try but I think you will need a very rigid one or you'll experience separation between the glued plexy glass and the tub. As mentioned earlier, I prefer the wooden box more-so than the plastic tub. Over a short period of use, you'll experience problems keeping the plexy glass in place to the plastic (tub or 5 gallon pail). The benefit to the wooden box is that besides gluing the plexy glass to the wooden frame, you can also use screws to increase its durability. I have found that the 1.25" roofing sheet metal screws with rubber washers work best for this situation. I pre-drill slightly larger pilot holes on the plexy glass and slightly smaller holes into the wooden box. The screws will grip tightly in the wood without splitting. The rubber washers on the screws in conjunction with the larger holes in the plexy glass prevents possible cracking. The plexy glass thickness is just as important when it comes to durability. Thicker is better in this case. Remember, if you choose not to use a snorkel and a mask, these other alternative viewers are essentially your EYES to seeing your sniping area. Damage to these while in the field can ruin your whole day. Make them strong and they will last. Make more than one (so that you have a back up) and you'll never have to shovel or snipe "blind" again. One last thing, I have seen people use the clear "veggie / salad" crisper draws from refrigerators for viewing. The pros: no plexy glass gluing problems. A clear one gives you a large viewing area and depending on the make, they can be submerged slightly to give you a closer look. Cost is very little if you can find a non working frig. Cons: again depending on the make, can be very bulky to transport. Holding it with no handles can be a chore.
I hope this info was of some help to you. Cheers - Randy

a (1).jpg a (2).jpg a (3).JPG a (4).JPG

Last edited:

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My interpretation to: Simply meant that you wanted another alternative to view your sniping area without diving or putting your head underwater. I could be wrong but that's what I thought you meant by "not getting too wet."

Steve, you may give the Rubbermaid tub a try but I think you will need a very rigid one or you'll experience separation between the glued plexy glass and the tub. As mentioned earlier, I prefer the wooden box more-so than the plastic tub. Over a short period of use, you'll experience problems keeping the plexy glass in place to the plastic (tub or 5 gallon pail). The benefit to the wooden box is that besides gluing the plexy glass to the wooden frame, you can also use screws to increase its durability. I have found that the 1.25" roofing sheet metal screws with rubber washers work best for this situation. I pre-drill slightly larger pilot holes on the plexy glass and slightly smaller holes into the wooden box. The screws will grip tightly in the wood without splitting. The rubber washers on the screws in conjunction with the larger holes in the plexy glass prevents possible cracking. The plexy glass thickness is just as important when it comes to durability. Thicker is better in this case. Remember, if you choose not to use a snorkel and a mask, these other alternative viewers are essentially your EYES to seeing your sniping area. Damage to these while in the field can ruin your whole day. Make them strong and they will last. Make more than one (so that you have a back up) and you'll never have to shovel or snipe "blind" again. One last thing, I have seen people use the clear "veggie / salad" crisper draws from refrigerators for viewing. The pros: no plexy glass gluing problems. A clear one gives you a large viewing area and depending on the make, they can be submerged slightly to give you a closer look. Cost is very little if you can find a non working frig. Cons: again depending on the make, can be very bulky to transport. Holding it with no handles can be a chore.
I hope this info was of some help to you. Cheers - Randy

View attachment 1156726 View attachment 1156727 View attachment 1156728 View attachment 1156729

I like your ideas. I like how you screwed the plexiglass to the wooden box. And the handle you added to the 5 gal bucket. With the refrigerator clear veggie holder, why not glue/screw a handle or two on it? You could put rubber washers on it like you did with the wooden box.

Nice pictures; especially the one of the creek and your equipment. Thanks for sharing.

IdahoGoldGettR

Mar 13, 2014
Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like your ideas. I like how you screwed the plexiglass to the wooden box. And the handle you added to the 5 gal bucket. With the refrigerator clear veggie holder, why not glue/screw a handle or two on it? You could put rubber washers on it like you did with the wooden box.
Nice pictures; especially the one of the creek and your equipment. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you GoldpannerDave. I agree with you completely. Handles like the one I use on the 5 gallon bucket could easily be put on the veggie drawer. I'd put two handles on this item. Not only may the one arm get tired if you had one handle but you may need to switch hands to work a restricted tight sniping area. Nice videos, pics, and info jcazgoldchaser.

Here are a few more pics that illustrate the use of both the "box viewer" and the 5 gallon bucket. As seen in the first 3 pics, it is sniping time on the bedrock and the box lets you see all these bedrock cracks clearly. During the winter months, the box viewer is a true asset. The last two pictures show the close-up photo shots when the use of 5 gallon bucket and a camera are in play.

a (1).JPG a (2).JPG a (3).JPG a (4).JPG a (5).JPG

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
All really great ideas folks! I will point out a couple of things to consider when building an underwater viewer. The greater the dimensions of an underwater viewer, the more it will be affected by the current as well as somewhat harder to push down below the water level as it has to displace water. Also, the flat sides of a square or rectangular viewer will definitely be harder to control due to the force of the current on the flat sides. Sure, you could turn a corner upstream into the flow of the current but the current is still going to exert a lot of force on the two sides somewhat angled against the flow. Therefore, I believe a viewer made from a round tube would be much better and if you could build a viewer from a tube that is shaped like an eye sort of like the item below in the pic, this would give you even more control over it when a pointed end is oriented upstream into the flow and the other downstream with the flow. Just my thoughts!

Frank

Eye shape.jpg

OP
OP
S

steveh2112

Apr 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great ideas all thanks, and yes, i'm not allergic to water or anything, just don't want to spend the day chest and face down in cold water.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you GoldpannerDave. I agree with you completely. Handles like the one I use on the 5 gallon bucket could easily be put on the veggie drawer. I'd put two handles on this item. Not only may the one arm get tired if you had one handle but you may need to switch hands to work a restricted tight sniping area. Nice videos, pics, and info jcazgoldchaser.

Here are a few more pics that illustrate the use of both the "box viewer" and the 5 gallon bucket. As seen in the first 3 pics, it is sniping time on the bedrock and the box lets you see all these bedrock cracks clearly. During the winter months, the box viewer is a true asset. The last two pictures show the close-up photo shots when the use of 5 gallon bucket and a camera are in play.

View attachment 1156844 View attachment 1156845 View attachment 1156846 View attachment 1156847 View attachment 1156848

Wow, nice gold there on your glove. And yes, it is clearly visible through the viewer. Here is Colorado, I don't usually get to work on bedrock, but a viewer could be a great asset even if you were not working bedrock.

Great pictures again. Thanks so much.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread