OP
OP
Mgumby16

Mgumby16

Jun 26, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Any idea where? Also can anyone share the dimensions of their 5 inches sluice box. As of right now im working off of 20 inches wide by 60 inches long. My main question is how high are the sluices side walls? Ill have the duel power jet done next weekend and hopefully will bend the sluice box then too.

Thank you,

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There was a guy on here awhile back that had something like that. Do not know if he ever got it going when it comes to dredging the KISS method works best. More time sucking dirt less time fixing.

OP
OP
Mgumby16

Mgumby16

Jun 26, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh im familiar with kiss. Use of the jon boat eliminates the need for a frame, the engines and pumps we will use will come from our groups two proline 4's. Its main purpose would be for dredging on larger rivers where we can put in at public access. When in shallow water simply remove the engines and use the 4's.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is one of the ideas I have on the back burner.
You need a boat that is big enough to float the weight of the dredge when its full of rock and water.
The sides f the sluice should be at least 8" to prevent rock from spilling into the boat
You also have to build a well to allow the hose to exit the hull below waterline...your jets must be below water to work right
Also consider how you will attach the outboard over the sluice.

There is much to consider, young luke

OP
OP
Mgumby16

Mgumby16

Jun 26, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bonaro, any idea what that weight would be for a 5 inch sluice box full of rocks and water. I would think it wouldnt eclipse 200 to 300 lbs. To address the outboard issue there would also be a well within the boat for the sluices discharge, that would also allow the sluice to be closer to the water line.

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, a buddy of mine has built several. They can work well but you have to have a real good understanding of what you are trying to do and have just as good skills. I have also seen a drift boat the same way. I'll see if I can find pictures of Tom's Jon boat

ratled

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I would run the sluice out the side, no chance of running the boat high and dry on tailings when in shallow water.

Jimmydolittle

Mar 14, 2013
Hendricksville Indiana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not a jon boat, but my friend in Alabama built this one: DSC00261.JPG

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were 2 boats built to dredge the Sacramento river below Keswick dam that operated for quite a few seasons till CDFG figured out what was up. Used underwater dredges hanging off the bottom of the boat. STEALTH mandatory as fines/jail/misc. bs is expensive now-John

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ive got a patio boat that I've always wanted to hang a box and pump underneath between the pontoons, that would be dredging in style, BBQ and camp on top, dredgin down below- have to rename it the dredge lounge

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bs is expensive now-John
Black Sand is expensive ? :icon_scratch: Well I have loads of that nasty stuff, might get rich quickly selling these instead of Gold !
Just kidding :laughing7:

Good advice John, as usual :thumbsup:

Last edited:

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't find any pictures of Tom's dredge. If you PM a list of questions I can shoo t them to Tom and see what he says

ratled

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread