What to do with extra Mercury I dont need or want??

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
What to do with extra Mercury I don't need or want??

Hey Folks,

I picked up about 6 to 8 pounds of Dental Grade Mercury yesterday at a Sale of the Estate of a Dentist/Collectibles Collector/Collectibles TV Station owner! I plan to keep one of the small containers which has a spring loaded push button to release Mercury as needed but I want to get rid of the rest. I will keep some around just in case I need it to recover Gold from concentrates but it will likely never get used. How can I sale the rest of the Mercury? Also, did Dentists really use Mercury in their work and what was it used for? I hope I don't have any in my' mouth but if so, then maybe that is why I so confused so much!:tongue3:

Frank

Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would buy it from you, but the hazmat shipping would be ridiculous. Yes, there is probably mercury in your mouth. If you have the old-school silver colored fillings, it is a mercury amalgam. Don't worry though, it's not toxic to the body.

We have had people turn in bottles of it to our fire dept, and they found a home for it, but I can't remember who they gave it to. There are still some users of it, I just can't think of who.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why? There are safer alternative. I suggest disposal at a proper facility. Nasty stuff

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Give the Sierra Fraud, I mean Fund a call, they seem to be in need of it in a bad way as they can''t seem to recover any on their own! You can probably name your price, anything close to $7000/ oz. ought to be about right.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
These folks are listing it- I came across a bottle of liquid mercury. Can I sell it? If so, how should I go about that?

Some scrap dealers will buy it at a severely reduced price. Household waste facility will take it for nothing.

Found this on the ebay community page, I would double check for accuracy-- Re: Is it legal to sell liquid mercury?
[ Edited ]
hotspotauctions (1780 ) View Listings
Community Member|Posts: 219| Registered: ‎10-30-2012
in reply to prodigalthriftstore ‎08-22-2014 03:06 PM - edited ‎08-22-2014 03:07 PM

So much misinformation in this thread. You do not need a licence to sell or buy or ship elemental mercury in quantities of one pound or under. I am a approved FedEx hazmat shipper, and have shipped it before. You cannot ship is USPS, or air, but it can go ground.

Titlle 49 → Subtitle B → Chapter I → Subchapter C → Part 173 → Subpart E → §173.164 exempts elemental mercury at quantities of 1 pound or less from the hazardous material requirements.

It is packing group III, which is the least hazardous classification.

It is hazard division 8, so it must be labeled corrosive.

IT requires the limited quantity label, and minimum 32 lbs/in edge crush packaging.

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We use to have it in mercury switches, I would not mess with the stuff, now that we know about its problems.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
I would buy it from you, but the hazmat shipping would be ridiculous. Yes, there is probably mercury in your mouth. If you have the old-school silver colored fillings, it is a mercury amalgam. Don't worry though, it's not toxic to the body.

We have had people turn in bottles of it to our fire dept, and they found a home for it, but I can't remember who they gave it to. There are still some users of it, I just can't think of who.

Seriously?... Mercury amalgam fillings brought to you by the same people that gave you fluoride, an industrial waste to consume to harden your teeth.

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I want to thank everyone for their input and help! A few last questions and these may seem dumb but how is the weight of Mercury measured? I have found it virtually impossible to get an answer on this and what is out there is confusing! I don't want to screw someone over when selling it nor do I want to get screwed over. I weighed what I am selling and it is a lot less than I thought but in my defense, I was trying to handle it as little as possible, handle it safely and place it somewhere safe away from everyone in my' home. I came up with a total weight of 54.2 dry ounces which includes the containers. I believe that the total weight of the containers could not be more than a 5 ounces but I could be wrong. Also, do I need to weigh these in Troy ounces or fluid ounces or will dry ounces work? Two of the containers are small (spring loaded push levered/buttoned) dispensing bottles apparently for Dentists to dispense the Mercury as needed and the larger container is apparently a glass Spice jar (first thought it was plastic but is not).

Thanks!

Frank

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
in anothr thread, it was discovered
a 1/2 pound was getting 120 greenbacks

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
in anothr thread, it was discovered
a 1/2 pound was getting 120 greenbacks

Thanks! I already knew that but I don't want anywhere near that price per half pound. I just need to know how to weigh it correctly to get the correct pound weight in the same manner it is sold online and elsewhere! Like I stated, I don't want to screw anyone nor do I want to get screwed and the available information is confusing.

Frank

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
bring it out here to me will give a week stay at Claudette mill mining camp you keep the gold.
GT............

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its weighed by the pound....and the amount you have stated to have can get you harassed ......I would not publicly offer it for sale and I would not ship it. used properly it is totally safe....if you spill it in the wrong place and the wrong people find out you can have issues.

When you find it digging its called amalgam.......when dentists used to put it in your teethe it was called the same thing! used to be the contemporary practice. Most the time now in the U.S. its an epoxy they use for fillings.

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
bring it out here to me will give a week stay at Claudette mill mining camp you keep the gold.
GT............

I would love to GT but I just can't handle the costs to drive out there! And no, I don't fly as you only have to go down the runway sideways twice in a Eastern Airlines Boeing 707 Whisper Jet to break you from flying, LOL.:icon_pale::icon_shaking2: It has long been my dream to travel to the Gold Fields of Arizona and California and if lucky, spend some time in other Gold producing areas as well.

Thanks!

Frank

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can't fly with mercury anyway...you'd have to drive :)

AuSomeness

Aug 12, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to GT but I just can't handle the costs to drive out there! And no, I don't fly as you only have to go down the runway sideways twice in a Eastern Airlines Boeing 707 Whisper Jet to break you from flying, LOL.:icon_pale::icon_shaking2: It has long been my dream to travel to the Gold Fields of Arizona and California and if lucky, spend some time in other Gold producing areas as well.

Thanks!

Frank

The drive is nice! There are a lot of great things to see from coast to coast, if you haven't made the trip yet. I'm partial to California, but I'm also biased! :D

I've never seen mercury in person, but the dangers of it are enough to keep me away. I have no need for it. Best of luck finding a safe, new home for it!

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can't fly with mercury anyway...you'd have to drive :)

That's why Lincoln Mercury Motor Company phased out the Mercury and re branded their name....They "can't fly".:laughing7:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread