Large Backpack for Mini High Banker?

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Folks,

I'm trying to find a backpack large enough to accommodate my mini highbanker and was wondering what you guys are using. Collapsed, my highbanker measures approximately 25 x 15 x 12 inches, which is roughly 75 liters of space. But all of the backpacks I have found are simply too narrow to fit. Even the 120 liter ones. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Upvote 0

mrktwiz

Mar 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you considered just using the backpack "frame" to attach the mini-banker/supplies too?

OP
OP
Echoplex

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, that's plan B. A backpack would be much easier for me, though, because I have quite a bit of other gear including a 13 pound battery.

Edit: Actually, after looking at frames some more, that does seem like a better option. I'm still curious to see what you all are using. Thanks again!

Last edited:

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Mike, there is no real easy way to get the equipment into this place but one or two and I have built one and that is a dolly like carrier. It has 16" wheels and it holds every thing on it. Easy to get in but as you know there will be some carrying involved when you get to the river. The other is to get a backpack frame and mount every thing on it and also ride a bike in. The ride in is a blast, faster than running the bridge and safer, but you pay the price no matter what and that is the trip out, you know what I mean, is a @#@@#. Ed

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Echoplex,
A bare backpack frame can be used for lashing duffle bags "of stuff" onto. It can get off balance if one is not careful, other than that it works....................63bkpkr

SLNugget

Sep 25, 2013
Morristown, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use a GI duffle bag with shoulder straps. Cheap and very handy to have. You do not lose stuff that way.

OP
OP
Echoplex

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the finished pack. It is fully loaded including highbanker, 12v 20Ah battery, tools, food, and drinking water. Total weight is 35 pounds. I added quite a few support straps for good measure and to help take pressure off the bench.

HighBankerPack.jpg

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Adding the straps to take the pressure off of the platform is a good idea, that is what my eye caught the first time I looked at the post of the pack. 35 lbs is a reasonable load as long as the heavy stuff is mostly on the bottom. Have FUN!.........................63bkpkr

hunterbill

Sep 26, 2012
AK,S.OR,N.Cal
Detector(s) used
MD-20,GMT,Gold Bug pro, Sluice, Dredge, Eyes, ATX, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I work as a hunting guide in AK needing to carry a camp on my back and then adding a sheep on top of it all. There is only one pack built for serious work. It is made for Barney's sports chalet in anchorage. The biggest one they have is the one to buy. They are not cheap and the price reflects that, but it is my opinion that it is worth not hurting yourself with poor equipment. If you think your feet deserve good boots then your back deserves the proper support of a pack is made for a load. I have heard a story where it was the barney pack that actually saved a guys life when he fell off the mountain. Do not put the heavy stuff in the bottom of your pack! Get that weight up high behind your shoulders. It will feel tipsy when you first try it, but the direction of pull on your spine is better. Try it. Be careful while packing heavy loads, it is easy to hurt yourself. If it is not confortable, it is not set up right. Adjust the distance between waist and shoulders. Your pack should not hurt.

hunterbill

Sep 26, 2012
AK,S.OR,N.Cal
Detector(s) used
MD-20,GMT,Gold Bug pro, Sluice, Dredge, Eyes, ATX, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well..... hopefully your pack will be loaded heavy with gold someday. Then be careful. General rule is not to try packing more than your body weight.

OP
OP
Echoplex

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tips, Bill. I gave my pack its first workout this past weekend. It worked great and is it's now ~40 pounds, which isn't too bad, but you can really feel it when you start climbing steep trails or over large boulders. I added 4 nice cinch straps from REI that have aluminum fittings instead of plastic. Hopefully this pack will last me a while. If it fails, then I will certainly look into the Barney's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread