Real prospecting

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I'm talking about! Looks like good times and your setup and ground looks very promising, how's the weather cooperating with you, still working mostly at night or are you able to run in the day? Makes me wanna get out in the field..

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What photos capn? If you post mining stuff then there would be more mining stuff and less crap......I'm confused

OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
That's what I'm talking about! Looks like good times and your setup and ground looks very promising, how's the weather cooperating with you, still working mostly at night or are you able to run in the day? Makes me wanna get out in the fi

Last edited:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice to see pictures of a desert dig.

All the best, and when you get them, post some shots of the gold please.

All the best,

Lanny

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For me, if I dig a 1' hole that's prospecting....a 5' hole is mining.....I wish I had big enough gold in my area to sink lower than 1'.

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
DSC00175.JPG Hi mike(swWash), this is one of the holes I dug on the Sultan River, it is 6 ft. down and one of many, why 1/4" nuggets and a lot of smaller flakes, there is a lot of gold out there, dig deeper. DSC00907.JPG

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Herb, looks like the family business is still "rocking on" so to speak, having stout young lads with strong backs must come in handy. Tell your boys I said hi and I'll swing on by next time I come through...... Rob

Last edited:

mshanygin

Dec 22, 2014
Everett WA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1161963 Hi mike(swWash), this is one of the holes I dug on the Sultan River, it is 6 ft. down and one of many, why 1/4" nuggets and a lot of smaller flakes, there is a lot of gold out there, dig deeper. View attachment 1161953

I dug a 4 to 5 feet hole down at my local creek and got skunked all the way down. There was only that first foot (if even) of flood gold on top. Always imagining that there are nuggets somewhere on this creek but the biggest picker is flat and was barely able to pick up. I think of digging deeper. Not sure if I will ever find bedrock but at least false clay bedrock. I will keep working on it. 20150511_200658.jpg
Yesterday's take I suppose. Why does it have to be so insubstantial in the vial?

OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks all.
you guys will have to chk my site next month to see the gold shot n read the story of the dig.
till then i will throw out a new pic of our prospect.

The bees are insane thick this year if i didnt know better i would think they were trying to keep me from bedrock ?????

Enjoy.

Last edited:

CApicker

Nov 3, 2013
West Sacramento, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow sweeet set up. can't wait to see waht you guys get out of that area. Never had a run in with Bees:dontknow: but I know how prospecting goes... if it aint one thing it's another. It is never easy.

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can I ask a stupid question?

Does anybody, when they need to move or break a big rock, wait until winter, then go out and fill up the existing cracks and maybe some drilled holes with water??
Then it freezes and expands... etc....

Get some free work out of mother nature??

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Can I ask a stupid question?

Does anybody, when they need to move or break a big rock, wait until winter, then go out and fill up the existing cracks and maybe some drilled holes with water??
Then it freezes and expands... etc....

Get some free work out of mother nature??

The cracks, etc. may have to be solidly capped for that to work I think. It seems the path of least resistance for ice expansion would be towards the openings thus little to no pressure exerted on the side walls if not contained.

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cracks, etc. may have to be solidly capped for that to work I think. It seems the path of least resistance for ice expansion would be towards the openings thus little to no pressure exerted on the side walls if not contained.

Granite, don't have that here, or at least where I play... Didn't realize it would give you sharp shards like that.....

All in all, its not the worst idea is it? If you need to break a rock that is... Isn't that how they split in nature?
Obviously you need it to get cold enough...

As for capping... The water should freeze inside to out, I wonder if it would cap itself if your hole is rough enough that the ice can grab hold and not just squirt out.
Maybe a wet cork would help...

I can't be the only person that has ever thought of this or tried it.

I might have to do some experimenting this winter.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Granite, don't have that here, or at least where I play... Didn't realize it would give you sharp shards like that.....

All in all, its not the worst idea is it? If you need to break a rock that is... Isn't that how they split in nature?
Obviously you need it to get cold enough...

As for capping... The water should freeze inside to out, I wonder if it would cap itself if your hole is rough enough that the ice can grab hold and not just squirt out.
Maybe a wet cork would help...

I can't be the only person that has ever thought of this or tried it.

I might have to do some experimenting this winter.

There could be some natural capping that would take place particularly if the crack is deep or if there are comparatively large voids deep in the crack. If you don't try it you will never know. Thinking outside the box never hurts.:icon_thumright:
Other forces of nature such as physical stress from the shifting of the earth's crust (earthquakes, tectoninc movement), physical nature of the rock, gravity or those in some combination are some of the other contributors to cracking.
Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread