new to panning

ramseybam

May 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im new to panning and prospecting and wondering if anybody could give me some pointer on where to go. I live in Sevierville, tn. I panned for a little while today on the little pigeon river. not really sure if found anything yet. plan on repanning what I brought home. possibly a little flour and a flake or two. any advice on technique and where to pan would be greatly appreciated. thank you

Upvote 0

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While there are literally hundreds of videos on YouTube on how to pan for gold, I'll direct you to Fred Dodge.

For your fine gold, rub your belly and pat your head.

Good luck and heavy pans.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Check out the Panning for Gold section on TNET. All kinds of good info on how to pan. Good Luck.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would suggest you go to where gold has been found before. That means NC in your area. Horace Greely's quote, "Go west, young man, go west" is referring to the gold in NC. On panning, get some "shot" from a shotgun cartridge. DO NOT mess with a live round! Another source of pellets is a diver's weight. Pound some of those pellets flat. cut some of the flat ones into jagged pieces of "color". Follow some of the great you tube videos on panning. Good luck! TTC

OP
OP
R

ramseybam

May 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the tips and the direction on youtube. I hear a lot of good about nc and would like to go.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gold panning is like riding a bicycle, you cant learn how by watching a video.
Your best bet is to find someone to show you how, look for a local club. If you have to do it by yourself, get yourself some lead birdshot and drop a known number into a pan of material you get from the river. Pan it until you can retrieve all the shot. Pay attention what works and what doesn't.

Confidence in your good panning ability is critical to any kind of gold prospecting. If you are a poor panner you will never know if there is no gold in the stream or if you just lost it all off the lip of your pan

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
im new to panning and prospecting and wondering if anybody could give me some pointer on where to go. I live in Sevierville, tn. I panned for a little while today on the little pigeon river. not really sure if found anything yet. plan on repanning what I brought home. possibly a little flour and a flake or two. any advice on technique and where to pan would be greatly appreciated. thank you

Check this out. List of known gold occurrence in Tenn. listed by county. May give you some clues for areas to try. Mineral Location Search

kevin1

Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're not far from Coker Creek, you'll find gold there if you can find a place to pan.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread