It was just one of those weekends..

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
Kind of a rough weekend prospecting for me... I get out to the north fork of the american river on friday and it was..interesting. Placer County Sherrif Search & Rescue was looking for a couple of lost rafters(been lost almost a week :censored:), and as i was sniping in the water caught the interest of search and rescue workers on the ground and in the air. I continued working in the water for about another hour after my first encounter with them, but after the helicopter hovering about a hundred feet above me as they were investigating a person in the water i figured it would be best if i spent the rest of the day hiking/exploring new areas, not wasting search and rescues time investigating this person in the water over and over again (you would think someone would have eventually communicated their encounter with me so that all of them could stop checking me out)- so that day went pretty much to ****.

The next day i find a few hour gap in my day and decide to rush for the hills. I have the galaxy S5 active which claims to be water proof up to 3 feet-NOT. After filming an underwater picker i had just found the phone went dead :icon_scratch: Then, I got lazy and sat the picker i had found on my backpack. 5 minutes later I was hungry and grabbed my backpack, forgetting the gold that was on it...and it's gone! I spent the remainder of my time on the river looking for that lost picker never to find it.

And then, i was supposed to go prospecting on Sunday with a fellow Tnet member. But in addition to having no phone, my sister in law apparently had too much to drink saturday night and now I'm stuck with her kids Sunday morning-so i was a no-show at the river.BOOOOO!

All in all it was a rough weekend BUT at least i got to spend some time at the river and check out some new areas..and even got a little gold. Most importantly, i hope they found those rafters. As time goes on I find myself getting more and more comfortable in the wilderness. This was a reminder that this is rough terrain and very dangerous! Always use caution and never go into situations without a plan and a backup plan. Goin to tahoe with the fam next weekend so no gold for a couple of weeks. That's alright though, family time is gold.

Upvote 0

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OH man.. That stinks about losing the picker. I bet you wont do that again!

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Glad to hear you made it out safe. Prospecting of you do it right is a dangerous business. My bud has a satellite based text machine. No phone or camera just text but it is good in all areas and sends and receives. His family feels secure when he is out by himself. I just keep a dry match and my copy of smoke signals for dummies on me. Good luck, stay safe.

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Call me anti social, but anytime there is one or more at my destination, I keep moving on till there isn't. If I don't, it always seems to add drama and I get enough of that at home!:laughing7:

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You Jeff are a true miner.

Army of 1

Jun 22, 2013
Dundee Northern Australia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro , Tesora Bandito 2 , Minelab GPX 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some days you eat Bear , sometimes he eats you , that sucker must have been hungry :happysmiley: ..cheers Mick

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have not heard anything of any missing rafters.. You have any info in regards to that???..
But I am told last weekend the authorities were out around and telling the homeless and goldbums to pick up and move.. Pennyweight area.. Also I am told they did the same at Steven's... And Burnt Flat.. I have see that Helicopter Often and they love to fly over and Intimidate people while they enjoying the river.. Exspeacialy if they think your looking for gold.. I had them so low the ashes in my fire pit were blowing. I love it when they hover gives me time to drop my pants and show them what I think of them.. Last weekend they made two trips if I recall.
Anyway sucks that your weekend was off. I hope you enjoy Tahoe.. Plenty of days to be Had...

OP
OP
SchoolOfHardRocks

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
I have not heard anything of any missing rafters.. You have any info in regards to that???..
But I am told last weekend the authorities were out around and telling the homeless and goldbums to pick up and move.. Pennyweight area.. Also I am told they did the same at Steven's... And Burnt Flat.. I have see that Helicopter Often and they love to fly over and Intimidate people while they enjoying the river.. Exspeacialy if they think your looking for gold.. I had them so low the ashes in my fire pit were blowing. I love it when they hover gives me time to drop my pants and show them what I think of them.. Last weekend they made two trips if I recall.
Anyway sucks that your weekend was off. I hope you enjoy Tahoe.. Plenty of days to be Had...

From what Search & Rescue told me that 2 men were rafting down from Euchre bar on Saturday May 9th and were only supposed to be gone for a couple of days. It was Friday May 15th when I ran into the Search & Rescue on the river. They told me to call 911 if I see any polk-a-dot or khaki clothing or a red & white raft. Then they got my name and carried on yelling for "Sam". Talking to an old timer upriver he said they were "amateur miners"...don't know how valid that is though. I was in the pennyweight area so my assumption is that while they were looking for the lost guys they also gave the boot to any campers they came accross? :dontknow: Lol, you're a clown mooning the choppers man..I might have to try that some time.

And yeah i hope next time is better. My first sniping trip a couple of weeks ago produced a few nice pickers, beginners luck i suppose. I can definitely see why you spend so much of your time mining underwater. It's peaceful and beautiful down there, plus there's nothing like seeing gold just sitting there on the bedrock :headbang:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
from what I see on the NFAR river chart they would have been going down river with about 200 cfs following them. At 250 "a typical person" can not swim up river against the current. It would be easy to 'warp' a raft at 200 and if a person got trapped in it, it would not be good. Trees may have been in their way. A lot depends on their experience level and their physical condition however, they are way past their due out date and that does not seem to me to be a good thing. Hope they are ok!...................63bkpkr

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just because you have your handle doesn't mean you have to live up to it!

ratled

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread