Lets talk gold bearing rocks

GotRocks

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hows it going everyone? I'm a very avid miner from hard rock to dredging, I've got 5yrs exp easy, but I've still got some learning to do and thats why I wanted to make this post. Ive recently came a across a mine that hasn't been touched in a long time, and pulled some very interesting stained quartz out of a pocket in the wall of this mine. I can see really hard red and yellow stains indicating heavy iron oxide, and sulfur oxides and theres some attached Muscovite all through it. My question is How much gold you think is in it or if any at all? Not just whats in the picture, because those are display pieces, but Ive got a whole bag of this ore. I have a pretty good idea whats in it, but Id like to know your thoughts on this ore and would like to see other ores of your own you may have found with gold or other gems and minerals. Ive got tons of different stuff myself and would be happy to post other pics if you would like to see them.

I appreciate the time taken to read and re post on this subject. I look forward to talking, teaching and learning along with everyone who would like to join the convo.

p.s. I'll be here all day today untill 4:30 to 5pm eastern, then im leaving for a week long dredging session in the mountains. So if I dont respond after 5, ill see you when i get home. Hopefully with pockets full of gold and rocks hahaha.

Attachments

• IMG_1152.JPG
    IMG_1152.JPG
    996.6 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_1154.JPG
    IMG_1154.JPG
    745.2 KB · Views: 148
Upvote 0

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
G

GotRocks

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Awesome, very nice pieces! Looks like the quartz i find in the smoky mountains, although the quartz is much whiter like that in Ga part of the smoky's. Did you crush it and if so you find anything good?

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crush and pan, crush and pan....

Falcon MD20 is always fun, unless there is ton of iron in the rock also... I'm also partial to the 60x currency microscopes that are dirt cheap on e-bay, I
never leave home with out it...

The other thing is research, research, research. I'm finding out that its not always with the quartz, even when there is quartz present... Google is
your friend, all kinds of neat reports out there on all different areas.. Some of it (a lot of it) I don't understand, some I do.... I always wondered why
someone would want to be a geologist, because rocks are boring.... Now I know why.

OP
OP
G

GotRocks

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Where im at there is defiantly a lot of iron in the rocks, its been mined heavy here along with coal, copper, and GOLD, lol. I spend a lot of my day in field researching and looking, google is defiantly my friend and Ive learned a lot from it. I just spent the last 2 yrs helping a friend make and design our own dredge. We are currently in business making these and other products as well. (If interested take a look at DredgeHeadz.com).............but anyway back to our rocks.........

Here is a pic of some ore that doesnt have quartz that im positive contains gold. IMG_1169.JPG Heavy in sulfides and iron, but also has rutile thats hard to see. This piece of IMG_1157.JPG what i believe to be a rutilated mica schist may not contain gold but was found right next to an opening of a mine shaft that was mined for gold....

However I found this mineral while dredging and can't figure out what it is, any help would be great IMG_1159.JPG , IMG_1160.JPG .

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My samples were found in Northern California where many former mines are. Much of this ore was about 1-3 oz./ton. Super milky white quartz, serpentine lots of iron. Using them for bookends lol.

OP
OP
G

GotRocks

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My samples were found in Northern California where many former mines are. Much of this ore was about 1-3 oz./ton. Super milky white quartz, serpentine lots of iron. Using them for bookends lol.

Lmao hell yea, nothing like natural book ends and free at that lol. I stayed in crescent city for a yr and did a little prospecting out there and found some really cool stuff. This is one of the cool rocks I brought back with me. Its a rounded piece of quartz serpentine mix filled with iron pyrite pieces. IMG_1164.JPG IMG_1166.JPG

OP
OP
G

GotRocks

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok, although its raining like crazy, im on my way to the mountains for a week, thank you to all of you who joined the convo, your pics and words are much appreciated and look forward to more when I get home. I'll get back to you after the weekend, hope everyone holiday is a safe one and hope you find lots of treasure if you decide to look for some....Have a good week

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would post my samples but I only have a bunch of or......

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This ore that. .....it's valuable if it looks pretty on your front porch lol

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
However I found this mineral while dredging and can't figure out what it is, any help would be great View attachment 1163064 , View attachment 1163065 .

Appears to be Rhombohedral Calcite. If it is, a penny will scratch it. If not, it could be a variety of Feldspar.

Very cool website you have coming along. Looking forward to seeing more in the future; nice work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GotRocks

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Appears to be Rhombohedral Calcite. If it is, a penny will scratch it. If not, it could be a variety of Feldspar.

Very cool website you have coming along. Looking forward to seeing more in the future; nice work.

Thank you for your feed back on my mineral, and very much appreciate the good word on the site. I will be taking a penny to that Rhombohedral Calcite to see if indeed thats what it is. Feldspar is commonly found where i mine just not in crystallize form so that would be cool to have that as feldspar too.

OP
OP
G

GotRocks

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
BurntBear... ,ok so the penny did scratch it, and The pics I looked at of Rhombohedral Calcite look to be a very very close match, so im going to go with your answer and say it Rhombohedral Calcite, and I really appreciate the help and look forward to having other discussions in the very near future

OP
OP
G

GotRocks

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ive got another piece id like to have identified that I believe it to be honey calcite but im not sure. I found this on the railroad tracks and seeing im a nut for rocks, and gold I had to have it, as I said I think its Honey Calcite but if anyone has an different opinion id love to hear it. IMG_1155.JPG IMG_1156.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread