Antimony & Gold.

nomorebeer

Greenie
Mar 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello guys. I wish to ask that, is there any geological or geochemical connection between antimony and gold? Simply it's a good idea looking for gold on antimony mine areas? I don't know antimony's density but, i remember that i read somewhere at forum like heavy metals are brother or someting... I mean somone wrote about like; "If you looking for gold, silver mine areas might be good for check gold too." So i just wondering is there any relation between antimony and gold... Thanks.

Best Regards.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

nomorebeer

Greenie
Mar 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
arizau, thanks for reply. But i already googled it before i open thread. And be honest, English is not my primary language so, i read some... research some... but can not find spesific answer about that, and sometimes i can not understand my readings on advaced articles. But, there is any certain things about gold we know. Like it's formation in quartz veins, some mineralization is good sing for gold etc. So i just wondering if antimony and gold connect some way.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I do not recall reading anywhere that there is a connection. Antimony is mostly found in nature as stibnite which is a sulfide mineral and gold ores are often associated with sulfide minerals. I'm guessing the association, if any, is probably mostly coincidental and that antimony is not necessarily an indicator element.
Good luck.

LP13

Dec 31, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't think there is an actual definitive answer to it, for the following reason:
Gold is often found associated with other minerals, such as magnetite, pyrite, olivine and quartz (these are kind of universal indicators used by miners). However in every case it is possible that you can find an entire mountain of any one or all of those minerals and not find any gold in it at all! So I think that a decent knowledge of the geology of any particular area is required to determine if IN THAT AREA a particular mineral is associated with gold in the area. Does that make any sense?

Now one could say that in the case of tellurides, that if you find tellurides you will find gold, but then a telluride is a tellurium and other precious metals mineral (calaverite, sylvanite, etc.) But I think that's kind of like saying 'if you find gold bearing arsenopyrite you have gold' ... which obviously would be the case. But in the case of tellurides (the element tellurium is the base element in it) you might find tellurium sources with no calaverite, sylvanite or other gold bearing minerals of tellurium.

Here are a few links that may help you to get an answer more suitable than mine:
Stanley antimony, Idaho
Main Types of Antimony Ore--Huachang Antimony Industry
Improved gold and silver extraction from a refractory antimony ore by pretreatment with alkaline sulphide leach
Invisible gold in ore and mineral concentrates from the Hillgrove gold-antimony deposits, NSW, Australia - Springer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread