Got claim jumped this weekend!

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mother Nature came in and cleaned my beach out!

I was working a 4" deposit of magnetite/hemitite at the water's edge to about 10' inland. All gone! Didn't even leave the gold in the glacial gravel below. There were still a few bands in the sand blown across the stream, but that was all that was left.

Only got 1/2 of a 6 gal pail of cons before I had to pack it in due to storms. Shoveled what I could into the rest of the buckets and boogied before the storm hit.

If the gold didn't travel far, it may be just offshore in knee deep water down in the gravel. Just don't know which way the current was moving that day.

Upvote 0

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The cool thing about running a large caliber dredge is that you can just suck up everything and the dredge will decide what to keep

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mother Natures giveth but that hag also taketh away also :BangHead: if only I'd a done the deed when I could have-man alive I KNOW that feeling-John

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
One storm depositeth another storm sweepeth away. Tis the nature of beach deposits. Not quite plagerism but sorry Hoser.

Good luck and check that and other spots after future storms.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have another beach just a mile north that also had black sands at the mouth, but a 200' hill to drag 6 gal buckets of cons up! (175 lbs ea.) Lot of iron for a little gold! But at least I have a buyer for the magnetite sand.

OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need to keep the magnetite sand as it's a paying material along with the gold. So I'm stuck with heavy buckets!

Though my old skateboard has found a new life!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread