fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is something I put together a while ago but didn't do anything with it, enlight of some of the recent topics of discussion I think it maybe helpful or shed some light, I don't know. Please feel free to fact check, dispute or what have ya. Something I feel I need to bring to the front and feel needs to be kept in everyones mind as they read this, is that the majority of what I wrote about are Mercury Mines, and naturally occuring Mercury sites NOT Gold Mines. Most importantly I am not down playing or suggesting that Mercury is not dangerous or harmful to humans. I guess my point is that the effects of Mercury and our fear of it, not unlike Tobacco use, is more about money than public health. We know Tobacco use is bad, but there is more money to be made killing folks with it, hence it being perfectly legal to ingest. On the flip side we also know Mercury is bad, but history tells us it may not be having the effect that the folks making millions off of it and the fear of it would have us believe.

When it comes to Mercury, California has at one time or another held many titles- largest number of mercury mines (USGS estimates 500-2000), largest producer of Mercury, largest user, biggest abuser, largest Mercury contaminated body of water in the west (Clear Lake), Worst cases of mercury related mine leakage (Idria, Sulphur Bank and Almaden), most contaminated Watersheds and on it goes. What it does not have is the largest database of case history for Mercury poisoning, “Minamata disease, or Mercury contaminated fish consumption related illness, or fatalities. Why not? It’s common knowledge that Mercury is a dangerous toxic element harmful to humans, and especially so when turned into Methylmercury. But how bad is it? Might it be there are other factors in play, naturally occurring elements and processes making it less dangerous to us then we would be led to believe? Could it be that the Fear Mongering about Mercury is more about getting funding than public health and welfare? The vast majority of articles written about Mercury include the qualifying suppositions; could, can, may, if, might? Based on the proposed dangers, one would think the articles and reports would be overwhelmed with words like; does, will, is, shall, or has. Search the web, call your State Public Health Department, the National CDC, or Poison Control Centers of America. There is a severe lack of documentation. California has a 166 year history of producing, using, and abusing Mercury. Why do we not have volumes of case studies showing the effects on Gold Miners, Mercury Miners, and their families? These folks weren’t simply exposed to microscopic tidbits from a bite of fish now and then, it was a significant part of their lives. The Gold rush era miners used it daily as a tool for their work, submerging their arms, hands, and feet in it processing the gold. They and they're families lived on site at the mines. Thousands of Mercury Miners, not gold miners ingested and handled it while working deep in the earth extracting it. An astute individual applying a little common sense might conclude that after 166 years we should have a ton of concrete evidence showing clusters, epidemics, or stories and reports of people getting sick or dying from Mercury poisoning. But we don’t, why is that? There are countless journals, personal accounts and volumes of detailed stories about the Goldrush era, where are the accounts on the effects of the mercury use.

Earlier I suggested it may be a case of Fear Mongering for profit, let the reader decide; One concerned and caring “environmental” organization has received millions of dollars in taxpayer funding to suction dredge one body of water in the Motherlode country. Ironically it needs to be brought to attention that the same organization wrote the legislation for the current suction dredge moratorium, banning the use of motorized suction dredge equipment. Guess that is one way to deal with the competition. With the passing of Proposition 1, they are set up to receive millions more. There hope and goal is to recover a mere 150 lbs of Mercury during a three to five year project. It should be pointed out that as much as 6 million pounds of Mercury released during the gold rush have yet to be recovered. Remember these figures, they are important- One single body of water and 150 pounds of Mercury in 3-5 years out of millions of pounds and hundreds of sites! Starting to do the math, and subsequent future profit margins? The completion date of this project was slated for December 2014. As of this date the project has not gone into “production” mode and the reservoir is no where near remediated. The project is being used as an on site demonstration piece showing the projects viability and a means of seeking further funding. However, the further funding part does seem to be doing quite well at this time.

California has the most contaminated waterways and largest number of Mercury Mine sites in North America. One of those, the New Idria in San Benito operated for 120 years and closed in 1972. It is considered to be one of the worst. Finally in September of 2011 it became a superfund site. Some interesting facts about the New Idria; the EPA estimated that flowing at a rate of 40 gallons per minute from the mine site, 21 million gallons of contaminated water per year flow into the nearby creek which flows into the San Joaquin river and eventually flows into the San Francisco Bay Delta distributing 700lbs of Mercury annually into the Delta. The San Francisco Bay Delta provides ⅔ of the state’s drinking water. Another mine the Almaden with a rich Mercury history lies 12 miles south of downtown San Jose, it has been “cleaned” and is now an urban park. Clear lake, the most naturally occuring Mercury contaminated body of water on the West Coast also feeds a watershed that finds it’s way to the Delta. Right now there are currently around a dozen major Mercury clean up efforts going on in the state out of a thousand plus conataminated sites..

I have the following questions:
> Is the danger to the public as real as "they" would have us believe or is it “fear mongering for funding”?
> Why is there not a comprehensive historical database on Mercury illness or fatalities in California?
> If our water supply and health is in as much danger as the "environmentalists" would have us believe, why are there only a dozen or so clean up efforts out of thousands of sites across the state?
> Are the clean ups warranted where they are happening, are we remediating those sites posing the biggest threat to our drinking water?
> Are the organizations receiving our tax money qualified and experienced or simply creating a new “green” source of revenue for themselves?
> What are the best management and industry standards and practices for Mercury cleanup, are they being applied?
> What does the research show concerning alternative methods such as non-invasive, non-destructive Selenium treatments?
> Why are we not doing more to promote Public Mercury education and collection programs like we do with waste CFL’s and burnt Fluorescent tubes?
> According to the aforementioned environmentalist organization receiving public funding for a Mercury remediation, project using a Suction Dredge, Suction Dredge technology is the most efficient means of recovering Mercury. Current test data appears to support this as well, so why are we not lifting the current moratorium on Suction Dredging?
> Why are we not promoting and developing grassroots remediation incentive programs using the large volunteert workforce of small scale Miners and prospectors to remove the Mercury and clean up the state's waterways? Who better, more experienced, or well equipped to deal with a mining problem than the miners themselves?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's a good world when miners have degrees and certificates in Hydrology , water treatment, Biology, Chemistry and Environmental Sciences! Our experience as real miners gives us a realty few have. May the truth come out!

OP
OP
fowledup

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's a good world when miners have degrees and certificates in Hydrology , water treatment, Biology, Chemistry and Environmental Sciences! Our experience as real miners gives us a realty few have. May the truth come out!

Guess we can kinda thank them for that seeings how we have to have more than one job to live off of nowadays, and fulltime mining is getting harder and harder! It's like I told a pompus greenhorn CDF firefighter a long time ago that was given my crew a bunch of crap, when I was a County Volunteer Captain- "We both go to the same fires and do the same things, difference is after the fire we go back to real jobs, you go back to mowing the station lawn and washing trucks." And yes I got a little talking to for that, they frown upon that sort of thing, only they can be demeaning.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I'm just getting started here. I am getting tired of all the doom and gloom. To listen to some of these people you have to wonder how we managed to survive as a species.

And I am starting to rank most scientists right down there with all the doomsayers.

If only these people would have the courage of their convictions and follow Heaven's Gate lead we could get down to brass tacks and fix the real problems.

OP
OP
fowledup

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I honestly DO NOT expect a reply.

My thinking is, he is well intended but misinformed, hopefully we've given him some things to look into on his own, I don't want anyone taking my word for it. It's always better to guide a person to the light than drive them away.

Caribou369

Oct 31, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Caribou, Caribou, where forth art thou, Caribou?

Did I forget to mention that I also minored in biological chemistry? Oops.

Some of us have day jobs, and lives outside this forum. Plus I like to do some homework and think about my answers before replying to a topic this intense.

Thank you for the information on selenides, it's very useful. So it looks like the problem mercury causes is actually by reducing the bioavailability of selenium, which causes deficiencies in the proteins that support the developing nervous system. What's our solution here, add selenium salts to the water like they do with fluoride?
yes, if you're going to argue that because you don't keel over dead as an adult from having some elemental mercury on your skin, that methylmercury is not dangerous, especially to infants and children, that is at best a misunderstanding of the chemistry involved.

According to Dr. Marcus Laux, it is important to find an oral glutathione supplement that your body can truly absorb. It survives the trip through your intestines because the glutathione is contained in microscopic little pouches called liposomes. Thus, the glutathione enters your bloodstream intact. According to Dr. Laux, liposomes were recently tested in rigorous scientific studies, and were found to have an amazing 90% absorption rate. That’s comparable to intravenous glutathione therapy, for a fraction of the cost.

A cell culture study was conducted on glutathione at the Robert Wood Johnson Medical School by Gail Zeevalk, PhD. The study showed the neuro-protective nature of the glutathione from damage due to the known neuro-toxicants maneb (fungicide) and paraquat (herbicide).
Please give me some links, even if just to the academic abstracts. If you can provide some citations for me to follow up on, I'll be extremely happy to read multiple of these studies. Without any actual writeups in hand, I have no way to verify any of this.

All of which overlooks that the easiest way to avoid the problem of methylmercury in tissue, is to not have it there in the first place. Which leads us back to the so-called "mercury problem" with mining in waterways...

It's 100% true dredges are not adding mercury to the waterway. What they do (aside from removing visible heavy metals) is stir up the methylmercury that's settled from the sediments and make it more available to the food chain. I'm willing to bet that 99.9% of all gold-seeking dredges out there are not equipped with filtration. Have you /seen/ some of the equipment that wastewater facilities use?? Multiple settling tanks, flocculating chambers to attract the mercury and other heavy metals with ionic salts, membrane stacks, sampling tanks to ensure purity, good grief!

Yes, I agree that removing the visible mercury is great, and prevents more of the problem down the line. but the visible mercury is only the tip of the iceberg as I understand it. And this is the crux of the problem.
Actually the problem is that methylmercury is TINY. Those little ******* molecules will pass a filter membrane with pores less than half a nanometer wide! RO membranes would get torn to hell in less than two seconds in the flow of rocks and sediment from a dredge's outflow, and they run too fast and lean for effective settling tanks at the end of the box.

None of which excuses mercury pollution from other sources, which is also a problem. But hey, this forum is about mining right?

What we really need is to have a field filtration system that would work with the high volume and rapid flow that a dredge processes. Then dredges could simply be retrofit. They are indeed excellent riverbed-cleaning machines!

Last edited:

Caribou369

Oct 31, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Couple of points that should be brought into this:
>If our non mechanical dredges, meaning limited contact, ie. no teeth, blades, choppers or grinders, or mechanical contact of anykind, only water and the smooth bore sides of the hose it travels through have a greater than 95% efficiency rating for capture aren't up to the task. What qualifies a large cutterhead dredge with 80-85% efficiency and is nothing but mechanical contact, it literally "eats" the river or lake bottom, think PacMan as the logical choice?

See my post re: methylmercury is unbelievably tiny and dredges aren't currently set up for filtration of particles less than 1 nanometer.

>Elemental Mercury is converted to Methylmercury in slow, or better yet stagnant poorly oxygenated water, especially those with thick deep muddy bottoms. Like what is found in the lower reaches. Breaking it up may help ease the movement but is not a part of the biochemical process that occurs in order to convert the one into the other. Fact is even if a drop gets broken into a million little balls by some odd set of circumstances, higher up in the watershed where we dredge it will ball up or sink back into the gravels in a very short distance. It's heavy like gold, it will drop right back out and work it's way to a low or negative pressure point where it will collect and remain unchanged like it has for the last 160 years ago plus when the old miners put it there, or longer if nature naturally deposited it. Odds are we will capture it at some point in the operation as we work the area further. The water higher up in the watershed is faster moving highly oxygentated water with it's gravel bottom are not conducive to the process needed to convert the elemental mercury. Hence the reason it is in an elemental state to begin with when we find it and there are not high levels of methylmercury reported from testing in the areas we dredge. The Sierra Funds plan is to use their "pacman" dredg in an extremely stagnant portion of a reservoir, where they will be chomping it to pieces spreading about what they don't capture and stirring it up across the lake bottom, a rocket scientist isn't needed to figure the subsequent outcome.

>You brought up equipment. We have proven (albeit on deaf ears) that we can do slight modifications to our sluices to mitigate the problems you state. I can think of three cheap easy mods off the top of my head that I'm certain would bing the efficiency and catch rate to 99%+. The Sierra Fund is not using any special equipment as one might expect, it all comes from the mining industry, google Knelson concentrator. Thats the piece downstream from the cutterhead that seperates the merc and gold out. You can buy them all day long from any mining equipment broker. There is one picture in their pamphlet showing the finishing process using a spiral wheel- not what expect for "new and innovative technology" see'em on Craigslist from time to time for around a $100bucks. It's all smoke and mirrors for show!

No arguing that current remediation technology sucks, or that this is lining someone's pocket, or that dredgers are being unfairly cut out of the process. I agree with all of that the more I find out about what's being done on the ground. I don't know whose pamphlet you're referring to, although I've looked at a lot of wastewater filtration equipment recently. Do you have a scan, photo, or link you can share? Or is this the Pegasus Earth Sensing Corp we are talking about (in which case I've seen both their patent apps)?

I'd love to see the sampling studies from the areas (rivers?) you dredge. The more references the better. Although, there is that downhill accumulation effect that's been noted before in this thread. Which is why cities who pull from reservoirs have such a keen interest in stopping more mercury from entering their drinking water and fish habitats. It all goes downhill, or as my dad used to say, "flush twice, San Francisco needs the water."

>In order for Mercury to have the debilitating effects eluded to it takes exposure. How are we exposed? With Methylmercury according to the USGS it is almost exclusively through ingestion of fish. Elemental Mercury can be ingested as well but is passed through the body naturally before inflicting irreparable damage. It takes repeated longterm exposure. So this can be easily mitigated through personal common sense decision making of what and how much we eat. Again how does removing dredgers help something that can be so easily mitigated by common sense. For that matter what does paying the Sierra Fund millions of dollars do to actually fix or mitigate the problem?

See my post re: stirring up methylmercury from sediments and making it more available to the food chain. Also, again, not arguing that the current process sucks rocks, pun actually fully intended. this thread needs some humor.

>Your correct they can't legislate mother nature although they think they can. But how does any of their legislation based on the facts we've repeatedly presented fix, cure, stop, or help? It's a scam, and a money making scheme. True legislation would get the EPA milkrun programs funded. A trial program that voluntarily took in far more Mercury in a weekend than the Sierra Fund's goal for their 6 year and counting 9(?) million dollar project.

WE are the win win!

I keep hammering away because if folks such as yourself who are pro-mining as well as on the fence as to what is really happening don't see the con and the fraud, we are indeed doomed. Plus if even one lurker or mole reads our discussions and actually uses the previously unused portion of their brain to question the folks they are supporting and it stops them from sending them more money or spreading their crud any longer than I've done something.

So what are you proposing to do? Ask all dredgers to retrofit their dredges for more efficient mercury filtration if it means you'll get a pass to keep operating? Would you be willing to do that?

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of us have day jobs, and lives outside this forum. Plus I like to do some homework and think about my answers before replying to a topic this intense.

Thank you for the information on selenides, it's very useful. So it looks like the problem mercury causes is actually by reducing the bioavailability of selenium, which causes deficiencies in the proteins that support the developing nervous system. What's our solution here, add selenium salts to the water like they do with fluoride?
yes, if you're going to argue that because you don't keel over dead as an adult from having some elemental mercury on your skin, that methylmercury is not dangerous, especially to infants and children, that is at best a misunderstanding of the chemistry involved.

Please give me some links, even if just to the academic abstracts. If you can provide some citations for me to follow up on, I'll be extremely happy to read multiple of these studies. Without any actual writeups in hand, I have no way to verify any of this.

All of which overlooks that the easiest way to avoid the problem of methylmercury in tissue, is to not have it there in the first place. Which leads us back to the so-called "mercury problem" with mining in waterways...

It's 100% true dredges are not adding mercury to the waterway. What they do (aside from removing visible heavy metals) is stir up the methylmercury that's settled from the sediments and make it more available to the food chain. I'm willing to bet that 99.9% of all gold-seeking dredges out there are not equipped with filtration. Have you /seen/ some of the equipment that wastewater facilities use?? Multiple settling tanks, flocculating chambers to attract the mercury and other heavy metals with ionic salts, membrane stacks, sampling tanks to ensure purity, good grief!

Yes, I agree that removing the visible mercury is great, and prevents more of the problem down the line. but the visible mercury is only the tip of the iceberg as I understand it. And this is the crux of the problem.
Actually the problem is that methylmercury is TINY. Those little ******* molecules will pass a filter membrane with pores less than half a nanometer wide! RO membranes would get torn to hell in less than two seconds in the flow of rocks and sediment from a dredge's outflow, and they run too fast and lean for effective settling tanks at the end of the box.

None of which excuses mercury pollution from other sources, which is also a problem. But hey, this forum is about mining right?

What we really need is to have a field filtration system that would work with the high volume and rapid flow that a dredge processes. Then dredges could simply be retrofit. They are indeed excellent riverbed-cleaning machines!

What about the silly little fact that mercury poisoning cases never ever increased during the dredging SEASONS....let alone the fact that their aren't any during the off season????? Especially from creek or river water. As pointed out yes we are removing elemental mercury before it bio converts....and the typical creeks we dredge don't support the existence of methylmercury.
We don't need a filtration system on our dredges as the amount of mercury that isn't captured is such a small amount compared top what is moved and distributed by nature that it would be pointless....that being a reason to not let us dredge goes against the logic that we have the ability to remove elemental mercury.. before it becomes methylmercury.....very cheaply in fact.
If just contact with these creek and river waters was bad for you in anyway myself and many here would be dead or very poisoned now as I/we are in contact with it on an almost daily basis!!!!!
Do the bays and lake present a different situation? Yes, but we aren't dredging in bays or lakes the Sierra Fund is However. and in one project are currently and wanting in the future to disturb, distribute and release into the environment more of it from one project more then the last 5 years of in stream dredging combined.
Kayak and caribou your sticking to your guns not hard to see you believe we need these groups to help us see the light and keep us clean... maybe back east its needed.
Fact is when they first tried to stop dredging it was about harming fish studies proved that wasn't happening in fact the opposite was happening... then they switched to mercury hoping they could scare the hell out of everyone to gain support for their programs and get the miners out of it because we know the truth and stand our ground.
we're also the smallest resource use group they feel like we can be dealt with first....stop the dredgers we might kill fish... you know its not lost on them that the state sells MILLIONS of licenses to kill fish annually....you think that doesn't drive CBD and Sierra fund crazy...they know its hypocritical but, they actually have tricked fishing groups into supporting them.....even though by principal once they (big if) finish off the miners they will go after fishermen.

You two are not paying attention to the root of this issue and unfortunately have fallen for the propaganda...it's to bad

there is NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO mercury issue in California these groups are flat out lying to take YOUR money that is their intention and it is very obvious.

This is about money and control...not helping the environment...how can you fix a problem that isn't a problem???????

Last edited:

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is about money and control...not helping the environment...how can you fix a problem that isn't a problem?

Amen!!!!!!

ratled

spaghettigold

Oct 14, 2013
western sahara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
caribou
Do sluices and pans or highbankers filter out particles less than 1 nanometer?
There,s no locked up material in an active riverbed,especially in steeper upstream and also middler parts,it will go downstream sooner or later
And again..there are no merc,issues in the rivers i,m at,but we have all the restrictions enyway,what can we learn from that fact?

OP
OP
fowledup

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's good to see that we are moving from arguing to discussing. Goldwasher is much better at putting his thoughts to words than I, and I think he has summed up the gest of it. I think what your not understanding is that the methylmercury is not up in the faster moving currents where we dredge. The conditions won't support bioconversion. As I stated earlier, even if a drop of mercury bounced out of a sluice (95-98% unlikely) it won't travel far enough to get to an area many miles downriver that will allow it to bio-convert. If we were to follow the logic being presented by the opposition; why hasn't ALL the 49er era mercury migrated along with all the gold down to the sediment catch basins (ie. reservoirs) over the last 160+ years? If it had of we would dredge down there in the nice slow and warm water - much easier for us! Like gold mercury is very very heavy. It takes major storm events to move gold and mercury down stream, our dredges don't even come close.
As far as modifying our dredges here are my thoughts; When the EPA did the very successful voluntary moonlight runs collecting mercury as a pilot program to judge the feasibility of establishing a means to collect the mercury the miners, dentists, etc. had, it was free and nobody cared or questioned that because it was the right thing to do. We didn't ask to get paid , just as we don't ask anyone to pay us for the lead we remove. However, now with the Sierra Funds new approach they have made Mercury a commodity more valuble than gold. They are getting paid at last count before the latest money gathering campaign season, somewhere around $7000/oz for the mercury, plus any gold they find "green mining" is a bonus, sorry but that is Horses--t! Now this is where the history comes in, and for those lesser informed the conspiracy theory. If you study the timeline of events you would pick up on the fact that about the time these succesful EPA trials were happening. Maintenance dredging was having "issues" at Lake Combie, you'll aslo find stories of well to do lake front property owners hitting the paper crying about the loss of the use of their docks and beaches and asking who was gonna fix it or pay to have it fixed since the Government wouldn't do it. You would also see the name of the most prominent person in the SIerra Funds name starting to shine like a beacon in these stories and local environmental politics, although at the time she was connected a little differently more towards the local politics lets say. In the background are the dredging moratorium legal actions and such going on. Anywho it ain't no secret and you can research it all, they haven't hidden it. So here's the scenario as some see it- Local up and coming environmentalist with political aspirations and friends, possessing a strong proven buisness sense, sees an opportunity for a power push. Simple idea - Get the tax payers to pay for the maint. dredging under the guise of mercury remediation. Turn mercury remdiation into a very lucrative statewide environmentally basedbuisness. Be a silent partner with the folks shutting down the suction dredge miners (write the legislation provide the paid scientists), therefore eliminating the only competition for the new buisness plan. So... back to the original question- would I modify my dredge- ABSOLUTELY, why not? We buy, make, and modify stuff on our dredges all the time to catch more of what ever we are after. I can modify it for less than $50, as I said I can think of three very simple DIY"S that would virtually eliminate any loss. Again- I'm not saying anything new, this was all said when this crap started. What would be even better is if the milkrun came back, or avenues with the local waste collection agencies, or we were given the ability or processess to market it and sell it as a commodity no different than gold.
You mention the RO filters and such on a dredge- totally unneccessary, the mercury any mercury will bond with copper, or sulphur. I guess my final question to you is why back when this first started were they not looking for ways to keep the only source of cleaning the waters, in the water and active? They were told common sense solutions and precautions could be taken to enhance or mitigate the problems. I'll tell you why, because someone sold them a bill of goods that they knew how to do it better, and it would look better if the enviornmentalists did it, a much needed big win for team green, not to mention the fat cat politicians that someday will get their lakefront property cleaned up so they can use it. Wonder if the folks that backed them are starting to get a bit peeved at the lack of action, performance, or recovered MERCURY!

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Caribou,

Give me a few days to get all the research together. I hope you have a few weeks to read it all. And I can assure you I have a VERY SOLID understanding of the biological chemistry involved. And I also have the backing of more than a few tenured professors on this.

As for the selenium salts, well, if you have to bring up augmenting the water with selenium like is done with fluoride, then I would venture to say it is you that not only has no understanding of biological chemistry, you also have very little understanding of the mineral content of the soil in California.

Read up: Kesterson Reservoir - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As you can see, the needed selenium is already there. And if for some reason it isn't there, here are a few foods that can be easily eaten: Top 10 Foods Highest in Selenium

And yes if eaten by the mother, selenium will be passed to the infant through the colostrum thus removing mercury from the infant.

Off to find enough research to kill any normal researcher. Be back in a few days.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There has never been a device designed that can remove elemental mercury from waterways that is more efficient, simpler in design or cheaper to operate than the modern suction gold dredge.

Methylmercury is formed in the environment from the methylation of the inorganic mercurial ion. Once methylated, because of its ionic form, it does not tend to "settle in the sediments" but is suspended and carried in the water. For this reason alone, removal of elemental mercury prior to it's methylization is a much better thing.

If the sink is plugged and running on the floor you must first turn off the tap before you start mopping.

The act of dredging stirs up elemental mercury, most of which is captured and whatever remaining is highly oxygenated. Bacterial methylization primarily occurs by anaerobic bacterial action.

spaghettigold

Oct 14, 2013
western sahara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...Arguing the cautionary principle (if we know this is harmful, it should be avoided) is bat-sh*t crazy talk, man...

How we measure,where do we measure ,but most inportant ;in what a context do we put it? What is the BIG PICTURE?Where is the common sense?
With todays measurment methods you can find almost everything everywhere.If i was a cocaine-user and then take a piss in lake combie it would be detectable.
The precautionally principle Precautionary principle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia see also;strong vs week section is only a tool,it depends how that tool is used.
However..the design of the tool was made by idealists and it shows.You can shut down almost everything with this tool.Like always with the taxes and regulative things, it affects the small to medium entrepreneur people much more in proportion ,which makes it a regulator by the method of "setting the hurdles higher"Which is also fully intended.You get rid of the small actors that can,t afford the process leaving you with a few big boys able to pay you big bucks to avoid beeing shut down by the laws you first introduced ..nice..
But again,clearly you will find some merc in the nano range if you measure at the sluice outlet,and you will find that the eco scientist had plastic boots on its feet leaking plastic softeners in to the water .In the end you will find that humans are not sustainable with the last consequence that every activity shall be banned ,close the doors ,adios.

The prec.principle and also scienctific data is nothing worth if you don,t put it in to the proper context,the big picture.
It,s time that to the prec.principle the "common sense "principle is added.

P.s. a question,i really don,t know it if somebody could explain it to me; Is it even realistic to try to clean out a watershed from mercury where its naturally occuring in the soil or will this be a neverending good paying job for the sierra corp.?

Last edited:
OP
OP
fowledup

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
At their current rate of progress- Lake Combie will be a "neverending good paying job"! In all seriousness, to answer your question -yep

spaghettigold

Oct 14, 2013
western sahara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice,and if we go measure in the nano,pico ranges,we will find always more merc that has to be cleaned out to save humanity.Eroding from naturally merc containing soil upstream that will always find a way down over time.
Oh wait ..they could start trommel ops upstream ..
Lets just say that the tree is known by its fruits

Caribou369

Oct 31, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Caribou,

Give me a few days to get all the research together. I hope you have a few weeks to read it all. And I can assure you I have a VERY SOLID understanding of the biological chemistry involved. And I also have the backing of more than a few tenured professors on this.

As for the selenium salts, well, if you have to bring up augmenting the water with selenium like is done with fluoride, then I would venture to say it is you that not only has no understanding of biological chemistry, you also have very little understanding of the mineral content of the soil in California.

Read up: Kesterson Reservoir - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As you can see, the needed selenium is already there. And if for some reason it isn't there, here are a few foods that can be easily eaten: Top 10 Foods Highest in Selenium

And yes if eaten by the mother, selenium will be passed to the infant through the colostrum thus removing mercury from the infant.

Off to find enough research to kill any normal researcher. Be back in a few days.

I look forward to your list of citations, MadMachinist. The amount of reading I've been doing on my own is enough to fuel a bloody 300-page research report.
Just for you, a couple of citations on the non-solubility and consistent body load of mercury even in the presence of selenium:
https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/tjem/196/2/196_2_71/_pdf
http://www.environment.si/data/bibliografija/2007/2007_13.pdf
The gist seems to be that while administration of Se complexes mitigates the Hg present, the Hg remains present in the body and is not fully eliminated since SeHg is not soluble. The pathways of uptake, distribution, and chelation are not fully understood and do not seem to be present on a 1:1 ratio. You're right, I don't fully understand the best delivery mechanism for Se into the body. Look forward to your next post.

On one hand, I can see how my posts are the devil's advocate here. On the other hand, I'm doing exhaustive research into the science of methylmercury and trying to figure out exactly what /is/ the problem with it, then reporting back, in bits and pieces, on the science and the objections to stirring up methylmercury that I can find.

To address a point again since it seems needful - dredgers are not the only source of mercury. Got that loud and clear.
The natural-occurring mercury in CA is found bound in cinnabar in the coast ranges, not the Sierras. Leave the sleeping dragon lie. Not only that but the coast ranges don't feed the major reservoirs nor the bay delta fisheries.
Lake Almaden (settling pond for the old Almaden Mine) is still a no-fishing zone.

MeHg is most toxic to infants and children and the pre-born, since their metabolism uptake so much faster than adults and their nervous systems are still developing. Adults don't have so much a problem, but friends of mine downhill from Malakoff Diggins have been advised not to drink their well water since the soluble mercury in it is more than 100ug/l. The issue is not instant lethality so much as negative impact of varying degrees over time. It accumulates. Remember lead additives in paint and gasoline? A public health hazard more for the effects on children and the adults they become than to those who are grown adults when exposed.

In fast-moving waters, it's true that in the oxygenation zone methylmercury can't form, but in the deeper sediments (under the gravel, closer to bedrock) where the heavy mercury naturally settles out, it's subject to methylation by aneorobic bacteria. When the river bottoms are dredged, all the heavy sediments are suctioned up and flushed over the sluice box. I've seen the cloudiness in the water from dredging, that's sediment particles.
Since nanometer-particulate filtration is not what dredges are after, nor set up for, it makes sense from the abstract that the dredge would capture visible elemental mercury but not methylated mercury (which is also somewhat lighter owing to the specific gravity of the methyl group).
Yes, Hg will bond with S, Se, Al, Fe - but how to put them in a form that will handle the flow volume and not get plugged up or crusted over by the rest of the sediments? By the binding sites getting full-up? Agh, the headache.

I would love to see some water sampling done in various rivers before, during, and after a dredging operation. Without solid numbers in hand, I think all we're arguing is belief "yes it stirs it MeHg" - "no it doesn't" which is pretty much pointless, it gives us no hard numbers to work with. I'm willing to bet even the green groups don't have spot-on research on this, but are going on more nebulous "if this - then that" logic.

Now politics...yes it seems like some back-room political deals were cut to make this whole Sierra Fund business go down. As I'm sure we all know, politics is an ongoing experiment in which whomever it is that convinces those in power to hand over some of it to get their way, gets their way, at least for a little while. Again, I'm in agreement that the methods currently in use are not the best. Frankly I find them laughable. But they appeal to the mindset of the politicians and green do-gooders in power and holding sway.

I think if we're going to beat them out at this game we need some independent, objective studies of our own done on dredging's impact on stirring up (or not stirring up) MeHg. And frankly speaking, if dredging is stirring up MeHg, and the politicians are accepting the fact that MeHg is a serious health issue, then we're back to the filtration quandary.

How can we /prove/ with hard sample numbers that we're doing more good than harm? Is PLP or AMRA funding anything along these lines to defend mining with some counter-science? And speaking of that, where the ever-loving heck are the big mining companies to help us out?

fowledup since you seem to have your hand on the pulse of this whole political situation the best, can you point me to any references on what the Sierra Fund's experimental removals have actually accomplished? I'd like to read the state reporting, but the Sierra Fund website doesn't have any reports up and I can't find which of the state bureaus would actually have this info, do you? If they're doing bloody well nothing that's actually good for us since we can keep pitching in those counter-proposals. You've been kind enough to engage this far and I respect both your time and your tenacity.

Lastly, I don't respond to everyone's post since 1. where I come from a fight or debate is nothing but mano a mano - one on one - and 2. I do try to address most of the points I see coming up.
I hope you find the friendly opposition sharpening.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread