More on Mercury - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree246Likes

Thread: More on Mercury

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

May 2013
    The Golden State
    Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
    4841 times
    Prospecting
    All of our science class got to play with mercury globs in elementary school. No plane ticket or medical waiver needed. Not recommended in today's society, but I can assure you none of us dropped dead.
    I am a teacher, hydrologist, biologist and a prospector.

us
    fowledup

Jul 2013
    Northern California
    Whites GMT V/SAT
    5167 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Aufisher View Post
    All of our science class got to play with mercury globs in elementary school. No plane ticket or medical waiver needed. Not recommended in today's society, but I can assure you none of us dropped dead.
    Ours too, maybe that's my problem, I am mad as a hatter!

Charter Member
    us
    Period Six Mining and Exploration, LLC

Aug 2010
    Southeast Arizona
    4345 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Caribou369 View Post

I can get deep in the weeds if you really want...this you know, would you know more?
    The question is, is how deep down this rabbit hole do YOU want to go?

It is kinda funny that when REAL science starts to come out it's called bat sh*t crazy talk.
    Mining is how I make my living. I turn mountains into dust on a daily basis.

us
    fowledup

Jul 2013
    Northern California
    Whites GMT V/SAT
    5167 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Machinist View Post
    The question is, is how deep down this rabbit hole do YOU want to go?

It is kinda funny that when REAL science starts to come out it's called bat sh*t crazy talk.
    For me when the real science comes out it shows one of two things-
    A. It's a deliberate fraudulent scam designed to fleece our pocketbooks,
    or...
    B. These people really do believe what they are spewing, in which case they wouldn't be the right folks for the job anyway, since obviously they don't possess enough inteligence to actually complete the task if it were indeed the problem they would have us believe.

Charter Member
    us

Aug 2010
    Southeast Arizona
    4345 times
    Prospecting
    Ya know what, forget how deep the rabbit hole is, let's just go straight to the bottom and open Pandora's Box while we're there.

Some on glutathione peroxidases that are formed from adequate selenium intake.

The glutathione peroxidases. - PubMed - NCBI

More on selenium and selenoproteins: Glutathione peroxidase - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Mammalian GPx1, GPx2, GPx3, and GPx4 have been shown to be selenium-containing enzymes, whereas GPx6 is a selenoprotein in humans with cysteine-containing homologues in rodents. GPx1, GPx2, and GPx3 are homotetrameric proteins, whereas GPx4 has a monomeric structure. As the integrity of the cellular and subcellular membranes depends heavily on glutathione peroxidase, its antioxidative protective system itself depends heavily on the presence of selenium.

Natural Alternatives for Symptoms of Mercury Poisoning Toxicity

Glutathione is a short string of amino acids called a peptide. It is composed of three amino acids: glycine, glutamine and cysteine.

Glutathione is a major player in detoxifying the body of many toxic pollutants, including toxic metals and chemicals. Glutathione deficiency impairs the body's ability to get rid of toxins whether they are environmental or the by-products of cellular metabolism. If we have low glutathione levels we slowly become toxic, storing away poisons in our tissues, organs, muscles and brain. We simply cannot detoxify effectively if our glutathione levels are too low, no matter what form of detoxification we undertake.

Glutathione is made by all the cells in the body, and is the body’s master antioxidant and detoxifying agent. In one review, almost 80% of people with chronic ailments were found to be deficient in glutathione. In fact, low levels of glutathione are involved in all disease states.

Why? – because the heavier the cumulative toxic burden on the body, the greater this depletes supplies of glutathione. For example: One molecule of mercury uses up one molecule of glutathione. Since all chronic, degenerative disorders are triggered, in part, by the toxic load, it is small wonder to see why glutathione levels are such an important marker.

Glutathione is a supplement that is extremely difficult to absorb. Most oral supplements are worthless, because the digestive tract destroys the nutrient before it can be absorbed.

Supplements such as NAC can help your body make more glutathione, but the effect is mild. This is why intravenous therapy was once considered to be the only therapy that really works.

According to Dr. Marcus Laux, it is important to find an oral glutathione supplement that your body can truly absorb. It survives the trip through your intestines because the glutathione is contained in microscopic little pouches called liposomes. Thus, the glutathione enters your bloodstream intact. According to Dr. Laux, liposomes were recently tested in rigorous scientific studies, and were found to have an amazing 90% absorption rate. That’s comparable to intravenous glutathione therapy, for a fraction of the cost.

A cell culture study was conducted on glutathione at the Robert Wood Johnson Medical School by Gail Zeevalk, PhD. The study showed the neuro-protective nature of the glutathione from damage due to the known neuro-toxicants maneb (fungicide) and paraquat (herbicide).

So is mercury toxic? Yea on about the same level as caffeine. A healthy and adequately nourished person can handle some mercury exposure with out a problem. Just like caffeine pulls water out of your body, mercury pulls selenium out of your body. So in the case of caffeine, you simply drink more water. So in the case of mercury, you simply supplement with more selenium for a little bit until your body passes the mercury out.

Now that the mercury boogeyman has had his head removed from his shoulders, can we move on to the next problem?

Oct 2013
    western sahara
    701 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Caribou369 View Post
    fowledup, I don't like to say a lot about politics when I can't see a clear way forward that makes both sides happy. On one side I see miners with a lot of evidence posted about the good they do removing heavy metals. I see the hoards, I see that people are proud of doing good while enriching their worlds. I don't like that miners are being banned from pursuing their avocation.
    On the other hand I study chemistry sites, textbooks, historical accounts of damage traced to mass mercury poisoning. I see that the effects of mercury are not necessarily fatal, but tragic and debilitating all the same, and that the visible mercury is only the tip of the problem. As I said, I'd love to see a win-win on both sides...wouldn't you??

For examples, of members claiming mercury is not toxic, please see MadMachinist's posts. ^^

As for treasure hunting, y'all should know by now I love trying my hand at sniping and panning. I'm hoping to get out and do some sluicing this summer. My friend who just retired to Florida is inviting me out to do some metal detecting on the beaches near his house this fall.

Cheers,
    Even if our dredges don,t capture the last bit of it,the mercury is already there.We don,t add it to the waterway.if we can remove a ounce in a day there is a ounce less mercury potentially forming in to methylmercury.

a little sarkasm;hurry up with sluice and pans,before they find out that your showel is releasing ten percent of the annual release of mercury of a 2feet wide creek in a dry year

however,if by some miracle tomorrow there would be nomore merc in the rivers,would the mining oppents allowe to be in the water the day after tomorrow? For the idealistic part of our opponents i think the answer is no. They just don,t want to see somebody digging in a creek and if there,s no merc, there are critters,owls,frogs and so on..

Hope to be in the water again this year .
    Happy prospecting to all

us
    Dec 2010
    1462 times
    Excellent thread Fowledup!
    I also have a computer full of mercury, selenium facts that I have sent to every politician in this state of Confusion!

Not one reply....sad isn't.

Also cant seem to get any paper to publish these facts, vs The Chicken Little's of the Sierra false science.

And the Fear Mongering Continues!

TSF’s Reclaiming the Sierra 2015 conference a success

Posted on April 29, 2015May 27, 2015
    Last week, April 20-21, over 200 experts in their field came together at California State University, Sacramento, to address the issue of the ongoing impacts from legacy mines in California. This bi-annual conference, presented by nonprofit organization The Sierra Fund (TSF) of Nevada City, was attended by local, State, and Federal level agencies, technical experts, […]

May 2013
    The Golden State
    Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
    4841 times
    Prospecting
    Gold stuck to mercury dime lolClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20140418_182508-1.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	567.9 KB 
ID:	1169598

us
    fowledup

Jul 2013
    Northern California
    Whites GMT V/SAT
    5167 times
    Prospecting
    spaghetti gold- "Even if our dredges don,t capture the last bit of it,the mercury is already there.We don,t add it to the waterway.if we can remove a ounce in a day there is a ounce less mercury potentially forming in to methylmercury."

Excellent point, and one more ounce removed that the SIerra Fund won't have removed but got paid to.
    Aufisher likes this.

us
    fowledup

Jul 2013
    Northern California
    Whites GMT V/SAT
    5167 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Hefty1 View Post
    Excellent thread Fowledup!
    I also have a computer full of mercury, selenium facts that I have sent to every politician in this state of Confusion!

Not one reply....sad isn't.

Also cant seem to get any paper to publish these facts, vs The Chicken Little's of the Sierra false science.

And the Fear Mongering Continues!

TSF’s Reclaiming the Sierra 2015 conference a success

Posted on April 29, 2015May 27, 2015
    Last week, April 20-21, over 200 experts in their field came together at California State University, Sacramento, to address the issue of the ongoing impacts from legacy mines in California. This bi-annual conference, presented by nonprofit organization The Sierra Fund (TSF) of Nevada City, was attended by local, State, and Federal level agencies, technical experts, […]
    Ditto- not one response from any politician other than to sign me up for their newsletter. And it ain't a bright and shiny enough story to catch the general publics eye according to the media.
    Aufisher and Hefty1 like this.

May 2013
    The Golden State
    4841 times
    Prospecting
    Looks like a lot of $ all those political/scientists standing around. I guess it's good for local hotels and gas stations!
    fowledup likes this.

Charter Member
    us

Aug 2010
    Southeast Arizona
    4345 times
    Prospecting
    Caribou, Caribou, where forth art thou, Caribou?

Did I forget to mention that I also minored in biological chemistry? Oops.

May 2013
    The Golden State
    4841 times
    Prospecting
    It's a good world when miners have degrees and certificates in Hydrology , water treatment, Biology, Chemistry and Environmental Sciences! Our experience as real miners gives us a realty few have. May the truth come out!

us
    fowledup

Jul 2013
    Northern California
    Whites GMT V/SAT
    5167 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Aufisher View Post
    It's a good world when miners have degrees and certificates in Hydrology , water treatment, Biology, Chemistry and Environmental Sciences! Our experience as real miners gives us a realty few have. May the truth come out!
    Guess we can kinda thank them for that seeings how we have to have more than one job to live off of nowadays, and fulltime mining is getting harder and harder! It's like I told a pompus greenhorn CDF firefighter a long time ago that was given my crew a bunch of crap, when I was a County Volunteer Captain- "We both go to the same fires and do the same things, difference is after the fire we go back to real jobs, you go back to mowing the station lawn and washing trucks." And yes I got a little talking to for that, they frown upon that sort of thing, only they can be demeaning.

us
    Aug 2008
    Alabama
    1049 times
    Prospecting
    fowledup and Aufisher like this.
    " A man should look for what is , and not for what he thinks should be ". Albert Einstein

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links