Gold Basin Arizona Geology

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was writing this up to help Jeff (Goldenirishman) who is mining in the Gold Basin area. I figured I'd post it here to help anyone thinking of heading to that area.

The geology of the Gold Basin area is pretty interesting for the Geology student and should include a discussion of the Lost Basin/Garnet Mountain geology as well to help understand the groupings there. Since this is an effort to help a placer miner none of that really applies here (explained below) but if you have a further interest in the geology of this region you can find that information too in the referenced reports below.

The geology of the placer gold deposits in Gold Basin are really a story of the epic erosion of the local Colorado River Basin and the long term forming of the Grand Canyon more than any specific local geology that is identifiable today. The placer gold is found eroded and concentrated from the underlying ancient fanglomerates (dry mixed gravels) where they are exposed. These exposures are all within the valley portions of the basin, the mines (gold and otherwise) in the surrounding mountains have no direct connection with the placer deposits in the valley below.

It's often been observed that the best gold in Gold Basin occurs at particular elevations. Of course gold could care less what the elevation is but there is some truth to this observation about elevation. The degree of slope plays a part in the erosional process that first exposes and then concentrates the gold distributed through the older deeper gravels. Higher elevations generally have a greater slope and thus more erosion.

A more useful way to look for gold in the basin is to find where the older gravels are exposed and calculate where those exposed areas will concentrate their gold as they are eroded. With the resources below it is entirely possible to make fairly reliable estimates of where the concentrated gold areas will be found. Each exposure is on the maps in the reports. The older gold bearing gravels are labeled Qgo and the younger non-gold bearing gravels are labeled Qg on the maps.

We've already done that work graphically on our Gold Basin/Lost Basin Footprint map. The areas of gold bearing gravels that are exposed are clearly marked out. Computer Flood Modeling was calculated and added to the map to simulate the huge desert floods that occur every few lifetimes and actually move quite a bit of material. By combing those two factors you can roughly define the areas of greatest gold concentration.

To check this method of prediction we mapped the known historical placer producing areas and found that the predictions closely matched the known productive areas. That's all good but an even better test is to find an area that is predicted to have a gold concentration but has no known history of placer gold. In 2013 my friend Bunk, after defining an area of good potential with his FootPrint map, did indeed find a placer deposit and now has a claim there. Others have done so since.

In short - in Gold Basin find the old gravels and figure out where they concentrated their gold. All the info you need is in the reports below.

The fun part about Gold Basin is it's a relatively new and unexplored placer area. Miners didn't start working the placers there until the late 1930's and work has been light and sporadic ever since. Short of a hard trek in an unlikely area this is probably the closest most prospectors will get to the possibility of a big strike near civilization. As Jeff will tell you it's not all free beer and dancing girls but there is gold to be mined and it's pretty easy access.

None of this applies to Lost Basin/Meadview area. Different geology and different gold deposits just over the hill from Gold Basin. For Lost Basin the King Tut Mine is legendary and very large (pound +) nuggets are still found in that area every year or two. Maybe I'll find the time for that gold geology story another time. :thumbsup:

Here are the resources, I think all of these can be downloaded from the Land Matters Geology Library.

Open File Report 75-93
Preliminary Geologic Map of the Garnet Mountain Quadrangle, Mohave Arizona

USGS Professional Paper 1361 and USGS PP 1361 Plate 1
Geology and Gold Mineralization of the Gold Basin - Lost Basin Mining Districts, Mohave County Arizona

Read the reports they have a lot of good information. You will need all the help you can get in tracking down these widely scattered placers. Until you understand how these particular placers are formed you can spend a lot of time on prospecting unproductive ground.

Heavy Pans

Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is Valley Fever an issue there?

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Valley Fever is an issue everywhere in the Southwest.

The thing about Valley Fever is that most folks get it and only have a few minor symptoms. After that they are good to go. Most people that test positive for infection never knew they had been exposed. A few folks, mostly older people, Filipinos and Blacks get much worse symptoms. This stuff can be really bad for them.

If you are worried about small scale miners getting too much exposure ponder this common wonder of summer life in Phoenix - the dust storm

DUST.jpeg

Just about none of the people in that picture ever dug dirt for a living but they are about ready to try breathing air with tons of dust suspended in it. Jeff will be breathing cleaner air than that even on the windiest days. :laughing7:

The odds of suffering from Valley Fever are really small but they do exist. When mining the presence of any sort of dust can have deadly metals, minerals and sometimes even fungus suspended in it. It's just one of the hazards of the business. It's unwise to work in dusty conditions without a mask for many different reasons. You do what you can to cut the risks.

Heavy Pans

Last edited:
OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I really wish I was a Geologist....

Me too! This stuff would be a lot easier. :laughing7:

Here's the short version.

There are two layers of gravel filling the Gold Basin Valley. The much younger layer of gravel that has no gold in it is layered over the top of the older gravel that has gold in it. In some places the younger gravel has been eroded away and the older gravel (with the gold) is left exposed. The map shows those spots, they are the ones labeled Qgo.

The secret key is: Go poke around the Qgo spots and see if you can find some gold. :thumbsup:
This key will not work next door in Lost Basin. :sadsmiley:

Heavy Pans

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice setup for info

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very much so ! It is something you do not want. Growing up in So Kal the school children were tested for it. Over 85% of us tested positive. And we never knew we had been exposed. I contracted it about 15 years ago and it almost killed me. Age is definitely a factor.

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am not finding any info for around the maricopa county,New River, Black canyon area.
Is that because it is not on your site, or not available.
This would be the area North of Anthem, around the GPAA claims,Abby claims.

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Roadrunner I looked around and the only thing in the Land Matters library for Black Canyon I found was "Gold Mining and Milling in Black Canyon". You might want to look under Yavapai County too since a lot of Black Canyon is above the county line.

I've got a bunch more information in my personal library on that area including some good geology reports and maps. I'll see what we can do about getting that put up to the server this week. :thumbsup:

We've still got thousands of books, reference works, tutorials, movies and legal cases to put up on the Land Matters server. It's a long term process because each book has to be checked for copyright, completeness and then has to be OCRed so you can search and copy and paste from the text in the book. Google books and the other libraries don't do that for you. We think it should be easy to search through even the oldest books but some of these books take hours to turn into text. After that each book gets a full write up on description, authors, document group, and a bunch of other things that make it easier to find just that book when you are searching the library.

Every reader here is invited to let Land Matters know what type of books or maps you would like to see. Roadrunner started the process to get information about Black Canyon uploaded just by asking. You can do the same and save our librarian a lot of work trying to figure out what people would like most to see. Go ahead and Contact Land Matters and get that process started.

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am not finding any info for around the maricopa county,New River, Black canyon area.
Is that because it is not on your site, or not available.
This would be the area North of Anthem, around the GPAA claims,Abby claims.

If you have the FootPrint for that area all those docs are available in the program. Just right click on the Geology Layer name and choose "Layer Info". Follow the "More Information" buttons from there.

The docs you are looking for are:

Arizona Geological Survey Digital Geologic Map 64, July 2008
Geologic Map of the east half of the Black Canyon City 7 1/2' Quadrangle and the west half of the Squaw Creek Mesa 7 1/2' Quadrangle, Maricopa and Yavapai Counties, Arizona by Ferguson, C.A. etc...

USGS Open File Report: 00-409, 1969
Digital Geologic Map of Arizona

If you don't have the Black Canyon City FootPrint you can download those docs later this week from the Land Matters Library. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Barry. Thank you yet again my friend! With the new information along with my own research I'm even more positive that I will be able to realize my dream of mining for a living. I'm going to be heading into town tomorrow to restock on beans and bullets and will be hitting the site to download the reports while I'm in civilization. I managed to do a lot of prospecting here in the White Hills area on the Gold Basin map around the old Cyclopic workings. I stopped by the old workings with a copy of the geology map I found on the AZ dept of mines site and with its information and a little poking around I got a pretty good handle on this area now. There's gold here for sure, and some nice nuggets to be had but I think the travels to the north will be more productive and much better suited to what I have in mind.

I've still got a couple of areas by where I was working north of Wikiup that I want to get back to after the monsoons finish up so I can hit them with a good detector. In the mean time I'll be studying the reports you listed and plotting the information onto my markup maps.

Thanks again for the information! Next time you and Ruby are up this way let me know and the Guinness is on me!!!!

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Am back,in civilization and am already going over the first file. (Map) This thing is pure dynamite Barry! Going to help a lot in the search.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I did notice Kevin seemed to be worried that I would get Valley Fever out there. Nice to know you care bud! There is the fact though that I haven't been,sick a day since around 1975. Last time I even saw a doctor was my discharge physical in 79. So... not only do I look like a horse, I'm healthy as one too!

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a Geologist and I have to admit it is pretty cool trying to figure out what the rocks are telling ya

What made you want to become a geologist? Did you already have gold fever?

I can't think of any other good reason to become a geologist than wanting to find gold.. Then again some people probably find rocks in and of
themselves interesting... Then again, I know a lot of people think the things I'm interested in are stupid.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I did notice Kevin seemed to be worried that I would get Valley Fever out there. Nice to know you care bud! There is the fact though that I haven't been,sick a day since around 1975. Last time I even saw a doctor was my discharge physical in 79. So... not only do I look like a horse, I'm healthy as one too!

Glad to hear it! I'm definitely counting on you lasting long enough for us to meet in person :)

AuLobo

May 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold Basin Meteorites.jpg Here's one other interesting fact about Gold Basin. It's a very large meteorite strewn field. The space rock is classified as an L4 Chondrite, which means the same metal detector you use to locate nuggets will work on these alien bits. There's quite a lot of info about this on the web including photos but I've attached a snap-shot of some of the chunks we came across to give the curious among you an idea of what to look for - in addition to chasing nuggets.

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Jeff I forgot to add the water for your geology study! :BangHead:

Here's a free map download of the water flow in Gold and Lost Basins. Gold Basin is that big crescent on the left of the map. This was meant to be printed out as a wall map but it should help you figure out where things move when the floods come.

Map of Gold Basin & Lost Basin, Mohave County, Arizona

It's about halfway down that webpage.

The big wash on the center left (west) of the map is White Elephant wash. Not a bad area to spend some time. :lightbulb:

Heavy Pans

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Lol... funny you should mention White Elephant Wash. I was going thru some of the materials I had downloaded from Arizona dept of mines a long tim ago on the gold basin area and included some materials on a claim located there. Was interesting,reading.

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Clay. I have not bought the footprint programs yet.
I was around the area of the old town Of Gillette.
I saw the one section on Land matters around Prescott for Black Canyon already.
Also, I think it was on your site where I read that if I downloaded the full report from the blm site for a claim, I could get the claim markers, or boundries.
When we look at the first page, only the simple stuff is showed.
Is that how i find the corner markers?

If you have the FootPrint for that area all those docs are available in the program. Just right click on the Geology Layer name and choose "Layer Info". Follow the "More Information" buttons from there.

The docs you are looking for are:

Arizona Geological Survey Digital Geologic Map 64, July 2008
Geologic Map of the east half of the Black Canyon City 7 1/2' Quadrangle and the west half of the Squaw Creek Mesa 7 1/2' Quadrangle, Maricopa and Yavapai Counties, Arizona by Ferguson, C.A. etc...

USGS Open File Report: 00-409, 1969
Digital Geologic Map of Arizona

If you don't have the Black Canyon City FootPrint you can download those docs later this week from the Land Matters Library. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread