Anyone tried a Bucket Vac from HD/Lowes?

SunshineMiner

Jun 2, 2014
Someplace Sunny, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Curious if anyone has any experience with these things. The one from lowes seems to work pretty darn good!

Bucket Head 5-gal. Wet/Dry Vacuum-BH0100 - The Home Depot

Shop Shop-Vac Bucket Max at Lowes.com

Heres the lowes bucket vac imploding the walls of a 5gal bucket. Not that hard to do really i guess ;)

I admit... They don't really compare to the power of Vipers Gas/Vac: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/drywashing/331022-build-your-own-vacuum-blower.html

But it might be worth it to some people to check out for less than $25:icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The price is good and I bet you could avoid the imploding walls with a few drill holes towards the top of the bucket. Big issue is AC power. Need a generator to run it away from home (or a very-very long extension cord).

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just make your own with a leaf blower on top and you don't need the cord. Plenty of free info on these out there

ratled

wtetro

Jan 6, 2013
Aridzona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The price is good and I bet you could avoid the imploding walls with a few drill holes towards the top of the bucket. Big issue is AC power. Need a generator to run it away from home (or a very-very long extension cord).

A very long and thick extension cord when you factor in voltage drop:tongue3:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Or a little Honda generator and a 100' of power cord :)

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Or..... a solar generator ($250-300 DIY) and run it for free. I don't have the bucket model, I have the small 2.5 gallon stinger. The solar gen has a 1500 watt inverter and it runs it just fine, so I'm pretty sure it would run the bucket model as well. I also use the solar generator to run my 3700gph highbanker off the 12v side or I can charge my RV batteries, run the blender, camp lights a rotohammer or whatever.......free! No motors to mess up or secondary containment or genny noise to get hassled about, no extra fuel jugs, just power- and did I mention FREEEE! Sorry I get all jacked up over it, it's my new favorite toy!

Next project for the solar genny to run may be a stealthy twin 12v 3700 gph 2.5" gold collection device :headbang: Don't think I will be posting any build pictures at this point in time

Last edited:

LP13

Dec 31, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Magnetite in the sand is attracted to the motor (electro magnetic fields) and will very quickly grind the motor to uselessness. That's why they use gas powered setups.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Magnetite in the sand is attracted to the motor (electro magnetic fields) and will very quickly grind the motor to uselessness. That's why they use gas powered setups.
Good point, I agree with what you say and if I was using it all the time as a major mining component I'd go gas, which is something I plan on doing. My use of a crack vac has been pretty incidental thus far, and the twenty dollar vacs have been ok. However our new claim has a ton of schist style bedrock so now they are gonna get a serious workout. How long are their gas ones lasting? My goofy thinking makes me wonder which is more cost effective based on longevity, a $200-250 blower set up and constant fuel and oil costs. or keep replacing $20 dollar vacs as they blow up. As i said I don't use it much but this one I have now I've used for around 5-7 years for just about everything, I can't believe the thing still works.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Go for a gas sucker!

LP13

Dec 31, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I suppose as in all things not everything is created equally, so I suppose that there are some electric vacs that won't die so quickly as others. Everyone I ever talked to who had tried using shop vacs reported poor success. But then too one has to take a battery or a generator with them wherever they go to run one. Gas has way more power per pound than the power you can store in a battery and most generators are just too heavy for me to lug around!

OP
OP
S

SunshineMiner

Jun 2, 2014
Someplace Sunny, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LP13 You made a pretty good point about the magnetite's and the motor! That would be one thing to factor in, more filters to buy so you don't kill your engine :x
Although possible fix would be a deflector plate and some magnets somewhere to help hold the sands :icon_scratch:

Definitely digging the Dewalt vac there. More batteries, batteries batteries. Who knows, with a solar charger hooked up to deep cycle with an inverter.. you can run anything all day/night if you wanted to! Might be cheaper in the next 5-10 years the way tech is going, who knows :)

I will say though... I'm liking the idea of my deep cycle with an inverter and the lowes vac. The Dewalt is over $100 :o

Thanks for the input guys. I think I may throw down on the Lowes version, as the motor appears to be 6.5 vs just 6 for the HD, and when I do, i'll post an update and video.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread