New way (for me) to prospect!

Al(GA)

Mar 6, 2010
It's been a long time since I have prospected and even posted here, but I got the itch again. Having put some years on this old body, I can't and don't want to pick and shovel as I did in my younger days, so ----- I got a gas powered auger to dig sample holes with!

The retrieved dirt can be panned, to see if gold is present or find out if I am wasting my time. Being a bit frugal, I searched a lot of models and found one to fit my budget (around $150). Harbor Freight sells one (item 60622) and with their discount coupons (free sign up for coupons), it came in close to my budget. It will punch a 4" wide hole down to a depth of 2 feet (I added a 2' home made extension for 4 feet total depth on mine).

It works well and makes quick work in digging test holes, with a LOT LESS LABOR!!! It even punches through hard clay.
Wish I had thought of this years ago. Just passing along this suggestion to those who might see a need. It works for me.

Al

Upvote 0

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Seems like a reasonably cheap way to do some sampling. Thanks for sharing all the details.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We've got a big sampling project were getting ready to start, was going to bring in a tracked Bobcat with auger attachment for a couple of days. This may be a better option as it is more suited for the terrain, which resembles the side of a Tee Pee. Plus I'll get to keep it for later. Thank you for the idea, hadn't thought of looking at Harbor Freight.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish we didn't have the boulders we do in our reserve areas... we have to dig to sample

OP
OP
A

Al(GA)

Mar 6, 2010
Thanks for the comments guys ---- hope it comes in handy for those that try it. It is very versatile for getting in hard to reach areas plus it can be angled in bank cuts to help determine pay streaks. Lots of uses besides prospecting also --- digs holes for flower/shrub planting (the wife likes that part), fence post holes, ice fishing holes, etc.
Note: Many rental places rent them but after a few rentals you could have bought one (except for the high dollar commercial ones). Anyway, if you try one, let me know how it worked for you.

Al

S

stefen

An invention is the Mother of necessity...

your inventive use of an auger resulted from tired old bones and muscles, which I can relate.

Now if you can come up with a way to load and pan without leaving the comfort of a camp chair, that'd be great.

You deserve a beer...:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions