63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The device is called a Pelton Wheel and yes it has been done and yes it works. My brother built one for a mining operation in Alaska to run the night lights and refrigeration for food and 'beverages'. It can be found on the web..........................63bkpkr

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I understood of your proposed idea, I came across similar concept used in a device that was marketed for small scale miners. I don't remember the links of the website, but I think it uses a paddle to operate the device which works like an elutriation tower. The operator puts dirt from above and use his feet to paddle, water comes from a nearby source and works to recover minerals (Gold,Diamonds...etc) by gravity. May be someone can help find any info regarding this type of equip?

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What can be done with microhydro power is amazing, unfortunatley and unneccessarily so is the price. $1000 base for a micro hydro turbine, $800 portable pelton wheel set up. The concept is simple the technology isn't all that advanced, wish somebody would manufacturer it accordingly

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had some friends build a Pelton wheel from a generator from a 10 speed bike. It wasn't a big powerhouse but it did keep a couple of 12 V batteries charged. Actually quite a cool setup

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a windmill using one somewhere, no reason why you could not use them for hydro.

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A family member of mine at his cabin built a alternator windmill, I don't know the details but from the looks of it, it's just an alternator with a custom propeller attached to it on a pole. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to make a water wheel to turn it.

OP
OP
hvacker

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
A day after I posted this I was watching a National Geo show called Dirty Riches. On that show an eel fisherman was trying to keep a bear away from his eels. What he wanted to do is have a bright light shine all night. He used some Styrofoam floats about 4 feet long separated enough so a 2' x it looked 8" wide paddle wheel McGuivered with a PVC shaft. I missed what was used to generate but might guess an alternator producing 12v dc.
This was a very cheap setup. I could see tethering it from shore and providing loght weight power.

OP
OP
hvacker

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other

Damn dog. I really couldn't hear the details well but the idea is cool.
I might think a flywheel generator from a lawn mower or chain saw could do the generation. I couldn't hear what this guy used.
The hard part might be having a pressured water source. I was thinking of using the force of river water and a paddle wheel.

Last edited:

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a pelton wheel that I used to run a small crusher but for a small bilge pump the weight and bulk of everything doesn't compare to solar.
This is what I have for my Gold Cube Trommel. I'm still in test mode but when there is sun, it works. Even better with a small back up battery and this is what I am researching right now. I will be picking up a small AGM soon. Amazon.com : Renogy? Foldable Solar Suitcase Battery Charger 100W : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread