Pyrite Ore (fools Gold) and gold
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By arizau
  • 1 Post By arizau
  • 1 Post By benny

Thread: Pyrite Ore (fools Gold) and gold

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    gb
    Josh

Jun 2015
    United Kingdom
    41 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Pyrite Ore (fools Gold) and gold

Hi, i have recently obtained a rock that is from a cave on the side of a mountain in Anatolia that we believe was used to dig into the mountain by an ancient civilisation. since then its just been lived upon by my ancestors. I brought a rock back that has shiny minerals in it but cannot work out exactly what it is. my uncle who used to mine in another location said that you usually find this sort of minerals close to gold. i took this to a geologist who also couldn't exactly work it out what is in the rock as there is more than one mineral but she says its highly possible its iron pyrite. when i scrape a bit off and rub it with my hands it is like gold glitter what I believe is quite possible then iron pyrite. My question is if you find iron pyrite is there a high chance there a valuable minerals or metals in this mountain ? id appreciate the help on this. here is the rock btw.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7527.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	1170669
    Last edited by akcicek; Jun 04, 2015 at 10:01 AM.

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2981 times
    Prospecting
    Gold is often found with iron minerals but most often iron minerals are found in areas where there is no gold. Iron is one the most abundant elements in the earth's makeup where gold is one of the least. Abundance of elements in Earth's crust - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia You can probably find something on the internet or at a library that have some type of record of what minerals have been mined in or near the area of interest. Here is one link. https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...old%20deposits

Good luck.
    akcicek likes this.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

gb
    Josh

Jun 2015
    United Kingdom
    41 times
    Hi thanks for the reply, the area is sedimentary rock as when I'm there you can clearly see layer on layer, just to the north in the closest town a Canadian company mine gold there, I'm just curious if to what mineral is in the moutain, Anatolia especially the eastern part was mined for it copper silver and gold, I just want to know if the people in the past were digging in just for iron or actually some valuable mineral.

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2981 times
    Prospecting
    About the only way that can be determined is to have some samples assayed or you can crush some samples to powder form and pan it yourself to see if there is any gold. That is where I would start.
    Good Luck.
    akcicek likes this.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

Sep 2012
    Oregon
    169 times
    When I look at the pic closely, it looks like mica schist to me. Looks all twisted, and I can see flat layers in some of it.
    Mica schist: http://www2.newark.ohio-state.edu/fa...s/image002.jpg

Was the rock wet when you took the picture?
    Last edited by benny; Jun 04, 2015 at 06:56 PM.
    akcicek likes this.

Sponsored Links